SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
griffster90

Issue with Tile - Contractors do not want to take responsibility

griffster90
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

The tile installer used for our bathroom did a horrible job. We had hex tiles used on the floor (sheets) and they were not done well so we requested that they rip it out and redo. This was not minor; both my husband and I could see lines where the tiles sheets met, there were areas grout would not even fit they were so close together. They refused and said the installer could fix sections. We said fine but wanted to see it when we came back from our cruise before they installed fixtures. They chose to install our cabinet without the okay and it still looked horrible so we insisted it be redone. The photo below is the floor as it originally was, before grout.

Fast forward to shower tiling: they would not order the ceramic tile we wanted since it wasn't from an approved company so we settled for glass. The installer wanted to use score and snap which left the edges very jagged and insisted a wet saw would not work. The PM literally had to stand over him making the cuts to get it right. My husband and I expressed at that time that we were uncomfortable with him doing the install as he seemed inexperienced working with glass tile, especially since we noticed some of the tiles had come scratched and we wanted to minimize this being an issue. They refused to get anyone else, said it would be fine, etc etc. Everything has now been installed and there are scratches in multiple areas. Part of it was definitely the door installer; the majority of the scratches are all on tiles surrounding the hardware but there are some that are in the middle of the wall.

Part of this is my fault because I did not bring it to their attention right after but I have been dealing with a lot (deployment, full time student, parenting) and they know this so it seems a little unfair. They are now telling me their installer is top notch, he couldn't have done this (insinuating it was us) and will only replace five tiles with caveats like the grout won't match. I told the owner yesterday that all I have used on the tile is glass cleaner and soft cloth. I don't know what they think we've been doing that would cause this type of damage to glass tiles. I am livid and have zero idea what to do. I am trying to remain professional but they came into my home today when I was not here under the guise of doing shelf touch ups then literally picked five tiles they would fix and sent me an email. We had to have the glass door removed because someone neglected to tell us tiles cracking would be an issue so it has to be reinstalled; I'm tempted to have the company do that and find another contractor to complete the tile fixes. I also still owe them a final payment but I assume I cannot withhold as it would be a breach of contract, correct?

Comments (2)