SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22590553

Help with bedside lamps, last fabric, & what to do around tall mirror?

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I did make changes to this room and bathroom but strayed from my original ideas.

Lamp budget is $200 for both but prefer lower.

Opt. 1

overall 26.5'' H x 14'' W x 14'' D

Shown in a room.

opt. 2

17W x 17D x 29H in.

Opt. 3– I like this one but feel like it’s over priced. I would not fill the cylinder.

Overall: 26" high. Base is 5 1/2" wide. Shade is 12" across top x 15" across bottom x 10" high.

Opt. 4 - something else.

Comments (24)

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Notes:

• I’d like to add a white coverlet and fold back navy stripe duvet in warmer months. I like the fur throw in fall/winter.
    • I only wish to add one more (lumbar) pillow to the bed and am considering this fabric. Thoughts or suggestions on fabric welcome. (I've looked at tons of fabrics at this point. Was trying to tie in/repeat the brown, cream, and blue. Scale is quite large though. Need sample yet.)

Everything else pretty much stays. Art above bed may eventually change. Nothing has caught my eye.

Current lamp scale is way too small. For reference their height is 23”H, bottom of shade is 8”W, and base is 4.5”W.

Vignettes change throughout the year on night stand and long dresser.

*Walls are photographing a little cool in some of the photos.

[deleted]

Thoughts about what to do around long dresser/mirror area? Knee jerk reaction is lamps and while I’m all about layering lighting it feels overkill for this room. I was thinking maybe plates (blue & white, green majolica, or white ironstone) around or just at sides of mirror. Or maybe art.

The vignettes in general feel cluttery and small to me now that I'm seeing the photos. I'll adjust

Thank you!

• alex9179
    5 years ago

Hi Shee! Can you take a photo looking straight at the bed, with the nightstands included? My first reaction is to mock up the lamp size with the existing side tables. The stands look like they could be adjusted in size, especially using a larger one by the window. I know, I'm suggesting changes outside the question but the overall scale is something you'd notice.

I'd probably use at least one lamp on the long dresser. Something with mass and placed on the side close to the entrance. Then the other side of the mirror can have a vignette, as your mood strikes.

I like all of the lamps. I think adding more pattern like the blue and white is the right direction. I confess that those particular ones aren't something I'd pick, but that doesn't mean anything in this scenario. In addition, I'd look for a pair that are about as tall as the ends of your headboard. The blue and white will probably be closer to that than the other two.

If it were me, I'd split the pair by placing one on the window side of the bed (on a larger side table or dresser) and one on the long dresser by the entrance. Then, choose another lamp close in height, but with less mass, for the smaller nightstand.

User thanked alex9179
  • Related Discussions

Image at last! Help finalize light plan before electrician

Q

Comments (3)
    dibgar I understand your indecision about the dining room table. We also will have a dining room in the same space as the great room. I didn't want to put a chandelier because of the position of the dining table in relation to the entrance as people come in from the foyer. So I think what I will do is put 2 sconces on the wall next to the table (I don't know if you have room for that) and then put a can and 2 halogens on each side of the can (as recommended by Whitehead. In your situation can you consider a chandellier that is drapped across the ceiling from the wall (portable type). So in the event you move your table you can move your chandelier. Or else, have you thought about a round table. I think it might take up the space better than the rectangular one on an angle. That way you could put a can and even if you move the table, the can won't seem out of place (maybe.) I'm no expert on this lighting stuff and am learning as I go. I am just trying to use common sense and practicality to get me through the process. Try posting on the decorating forum. Those people have tons of ideas on everything. Good luck.
    ...See More

Mirrors over bedside tables?

Q

Comments (122)
    Nice! Wow, you work fast! When you said crystal that's not what I thought you meant, it looks great. Also, just a thought but you know what might be able to give the table a more cohesive look is to find a pretty round place mat to set under the items. I do it all the time and it really helps give it a more finished look (to my eye) anyways. You could go with a beaded one, woven, sparkly or plain, any kind would work. Bed bath and beyond - just plain in different colors, ivory or plum would be pretty Found these on Macy's site, comes in several colors And Pier 1 had some glittery ones I've used a woven one here
    ...See More

Help! Which Plan for Storage around the Range Do You Prefer?

Q

Comments (85)
    Ice, thanks for posting your lovely kitchen. I struggle with visualizing ideas, so it is really helpful! Funky, if we go with additional lighting I think you are right that the sconces are going to work better with the look and small space. It also makes a lot of sense to add a little additional light - it can always be turned down - and to have a couple lights that are task-specific or for mood. The artwork idea is so fun. I'm going to have to think about this! I also have that evil powder room wall, if I could find the right decoration. There's something terribly pleasing about having begun the kitchen planning with the thought, "Oh my, where am I going to put all my stuff? How is this ever going to work?" and to be drawing toward the conclusion and be thinking things like, "My storage plan around the range should be nothing, or art. Bbtrix, Thanks for hunting out this pictures for me. The style you pictured and the placement might look really good in this situation. The pulls are a kind of a strange color, "antique pewter," so maybe hard to match. The faucet is chrome and lighting fixtures in the dining area are currently dark bronze. So ... we're already getting patchworky, for better or worse. Here are the pulls - first is the stock photo, and the second is a photo I took when investigating flooring. (We're probably about to order the brown tile on the top.) The pull looks more silvery in direct light:
    ...See More

what do I do around this fireplace? make an accent wall? built ins?

Q

Comments (34)
    To answer questions, yes we gutted and opened up this home. We want our family room just inside the front door as it functions well for watching children playing outside. (Rather than a formal living room, but we want to create a NICE space) The dining room has the fireplace and is open to the kitchen, which has an amazing 10’ island with a bar height side with 4 seats and then a counter height end for food prep. We’re loving the kitchen tho still waiting on light fixtures and backsplash. The flow is working well for us but the furniture placement and how to highlight the fireplace and it’s area is the challenge! Thank you BTW we DO have another room that would serve as the formal dining room but we don’t have that need at this time and are using it as a lovely home/mom office and playroom, so toys stay in there and not all over the house.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

Can you get another mirror? The one seems a bit lonely over there...

As far as the lamps go...the blue and white no. The glass, I feel will give you the same effect as those you already have because, well, they're clear except for the middle stick part...

I like the first ones.

User thanked User
  • tinam61
    5 years ago

Look at our favorite blog and check out the master bedroom. She has two sets of lamps - lamps on each nightstand (matching lamps but nightstands are different) and a matching set on the dresser which looks to be along the same size/length as yours. Maybe the first or last set for your dresser. I think blue/white might look good in there too, but not crazy over the pair you show. Also, if you want to change your colors out any, the blue/white will limit you. I like the pillow fabric.

User thanked tinam61
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I apologize for the large space after my last post. It's not showing up in edit for me to correct.

Alex - Hi! Here's a pic straight on.

[deleted]
    Do you mean a larger stand closest to window as in taller or just wider? There is space there something else. I have one of those large round tables you'd use with a tablecloth and glass topper but that's about the only thing I currently have that's larger. With the current console, there's 27" from the end to the wall. Total length from bed to wall is 5'. The matching night stand on the other side I'd like to replace but never knew what to put there and we do like the storage. I don't like how close that nightstand is to the long dresser but that kind of is what it is.

I actually did have that set up before with a lamp on the dresser and vignette on the other side.I prefer not to have matchy but find I gravitate toward that look for my bedroom. Don't mind breaking away though. I like the idea of using one of the lamps from a set and using a different one on the other night stand. I think I prefer this idea to more stuff on the wall beside the mirror.

I like blue and white lamps but will confess they aren't my favorite either. I like the overall shape but the design could stand to be better.

There's 34" from the night stand (facing the bed, the right stand) to the top of the ball of the headboard. It's 31" to the top before the ball starts.

Penny - Maybe eventually but I'd like to keep that one here for now. I considered using that mirror in the foyer before, which may be a little better proportioned to the buffet I have there but I'd still need something along the sides (for the foyer).

I wondered if the glass was going to give the same feel as my current lamps.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I'm sorry, but the mirror seems too ornate for the more "farm house" feeling of the remainder of the room. The tall chest of drawers with painting and porcelain is perfect and sets the tone of your room beautifully. A white ceramic base as in the first lamp seems best for your room, it's simple and classic, and perfect for your color scheme. Rather than the picture over the bed I'd suggest pictures over the lamps which will balance the height of the bed, and oil paintings seem more in tune with the room than anything under glass. I'd search flea markets for the real thing at a low price. The pattern you suggest for the lumbar pillow is too large and doesn't seem to go with your other bedding. A small dose of a warm color would be nice to give some warmth to your scheme, perhaps a small flower pattern in terra cotta and blue flowers and green leaves.

User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tina - Hi! I haven't seen you hear much! Thanks I will look!

Ingrid - Yikes oh no, farm house is not at all what I'm going for. Definitely need to make some adjustments if that's the feel it's giving off. I know ticking can be that but I like it as more of a traditional look. I know my house doesn't look like these but this is what I associate ticking stripe with.

Nell Hills

So you'd skip anything over the center of bed and just use art above the nightstands? I passed up on a really nice oil a while back that I kick myself on a regular basis for now purchasing. I went back for it and, of course, it was gone. I'll keep searching. The hunt print is ok at this point but I'd prefer to have an oil painting for sure.

I am concerned the pattern of that fabric is going to be too large. Wish I could shrink it. I like the idea you suggested for fabric but haven't been able to find anything. They all seem either too bright and clean of colors or the colors are wrong - usually there's a certain shade of green or light blue that I really dislike.

ETA - I've been trying to find a way to make the brown curtains work mainly because there are times DH needs to sleep during the day and they make the room, no blackout, but pretty dark. I could purchase new curtains and get liners. If that helps pull me out of a small choice decorating box.
    White seems too much white and I considered something more linen color or a cream to blend more with the walls but feel like it needs repeated more in the bedding. The duvet is navy and white, sheets are white. I'm not opposed to pattern either but just gave up the curtain search and decided to try and make the brown ones work.

• alex9179
    5 years ago

Do you mean a larger stand closest to window as in taller or just wider? Wider. The height looks like it works well. No need to replace it right away but it's something to keep in mind when you're out shopping. I think the space would look better filled and then long enough to handle a large lamp. A dresser would offer more storage and one with legs will prevent it from looking too weighty. I love dressers for just about every room, so my bias is showing here!

I don't like how close that nightstand is to the long dresser but that kind of is what it is. I figured it was tight between the bed and long dresser. An option is to move all of the furniture on the bed wall over towards the window. That would allow a wider case piece on the right and balance for a pair of lamps. An arrangement so off-center might bug you, though.

There's 34" from the night stand (facing the bed, the right stand) to the top of the ball of the headboard. It's 31" to the top before the ball starts. I'd look for lamps that are in the 30" range, give or take. An alternative is to go for squatty lamps and then place artwork over them, as Ingrid suggests. Either option takes the eye gently across the horizontal plane, rather than sharp ups and downs.

User thanked alex9179
  • PRO
    4Heidesign
    5 years ago

If you do decide to change out the curtains, I would definitely suggest a patterned drape. Aside from the possible navy, tan, brown and cream print fabric for the lumbar pillow covers, there are no patterns the room to add interest. While ticking stripe is a pattern per se, it reads as a solid from a distance. You need some bolder pattern in the room to add interest, IMHO. As for around the mirror, I do like the idea of plates, provided they bring in some color that coordinates.

User thanked 4Heidesign
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alex - I like dressers too in a room as a nightstand. I also like the look of desks. I was using a small round table for years then came across the current console. It was better than the round table at the time with storage and was inexpensive. I've been checking out CL from time to time for other options.

An arrangement so off-center might bug you, though.

Yeeeaaaah, ha. :) I have tried the room, with past suggestions from GW, with a few other arrangements and the room just didn't seem to quite work.

If I used art over the end tables do I want to search for portrait or landscape shape? Go big? Would you guys skip the art in the center then? There seems to be a better variety of affordable squatty lamps available than tall ones

• alex9179
    5 years ago

If I used art over the end tables do I want to search for portrait or landscape shape? That will depend on their size. Portrait will work if they're smaller. I, personally, wouldn't want them to be placed so that they're taller than the headboard. Also, I'd try to get a pair that are similar in size but I don't think it's necessary for them to be a true pairing. I really like the look of unframed canvas. I'm a sucker for them when thrifting.

Would you guys skip the art in the center then? I would.

When I see your house, I kind of get a vibe that makes me want to look at the For the Love of a House blog. There are plenty of differences, of course, but I still feel like you lean in that direction with some of your choices. One of the things I noticed on the blog is that her lamps are all interesting. Most don't have a mate, but when they're symmetrically placed any shared elements are more obvious than the differences.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's one of my favorite blogs! And I love all her lamps. I almost bought two antique green glazed-terracotta balusters (because of seeing hers) to make into lamps but I wasn't 100% sure where I was going to use them and was concerned I wouldn't be able to find a shade to look right (had trouble in past matching shades with lamps). I messed around and someone bought them. They were a phenomenal price and I'm still kicking myself but I don't like to have too much stuff sitting around and not in use. Trying to clean out what I do have! Oh well.

fortheloveofahouse - drawn to the rugs, art, blue & white pieces, kitchen, use of shells, the whole thing basically.

These are my other favorites.

vignettedesign - Love it all but drawn to the dairy slabs, majolica, and paintings, shell boxes, etc.

Daffodil-Hil no longer has a blog but still has Instagram. - Love her use of color and her new family room with the brick fireplace is amazing. Also really like the painting in that room. (trees)

daffodilhill

savvysouthernstyle - Like much of her stuff but prefer the french and english look to the farm house.

I also like much of the Nell Hill's look.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And I'm crushing on that red fabric in this photo. I like the blue too but red. I'm a red person. I have various shades of it throughout the house and keep coming back to the idea for in here. I kind of (at least for tonight) like the idea of the red fabric as pillows (probably two squares) and maybe another one on the bed. So much for keeping it simple with pillows this time around. I think the red should be repeated more than once though. In the pic the ottoman does that. Lined creamy off white curtains with natural woven bamboo shades. And #1 option bamboo lamps. Anyone know what that red fabric is?

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Hi, Sheeisback. I think ,if it were my room, Instead of hanging things around the mirror ( which is lovely, but a bit too narrow ) , I would get two of the Option 3 lamps for the dresser.Their gold ties in so nicely with the gold of the mirror and they are not so bulky that they would overpower that area. — I would swap the over- the-bed art to above the tall dresser and leave the over - the - bed space blank. The daffodil painting looks a little too tall over the tall dresser to my eye. I would move it down low , just above the smaller nightstand and use the blue ginger jar lamp on the other nightstand. I think that lamp would be lovely with your ticking stripe comforter.—- I thought the fabric you chose for your lumbar was great color-wise, but the pattern being so large may not work for that. Since you like red , I found a red pillow which you could use as a pair .I think a brighter throw would add a pretty touch at the foot of the bed.
    User thanked niccidhg
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    This 6 piece coverlet seems very priceworthy. You could use the pillows from it in combination with your existing bedding and either fold it at the foot or use it as your spread and fold your ticking comforter at the foot. Of course ,if you did something like this then your existing drapery ( is it navy? - hard to tell on my monitor )would be perfect.
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Meant to add the bedside lamp for a better visual. So pretty together, I think , with either the curtains OR the print coverlet.
    User thanked niccidhg
  • jjam
    5 years ago

Hi Shee, I love the blue and white lamps and think they are like magic.....they pull everything together. Once they are in place you can see where you need to add more color or pattern. Some red; maybe kind of an earthy one, would be great on your bed as a pillow or two. Do you have home goods nearby? They almost always have some blue and white lamps there; you could bring them home and try them out.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Login trouble today, grr.

Heidi - I missed your post yesterday! The lack of pattern in here is for sure bothering me. I was trying to get away with using less pillows but they can add so much color and interest and I may end up adding more. (If I can settle on fabric!) I was trying to find a fabric that had a lot of colors in it but nothing was really catching my eye. What type of plates would you use?

I was in Lowes recently was surprised at their curtains. They had a bunch of nicer looking ones with longer lengths (95") and some were lined room darkening. They were inexpensive as far as curtains go but I think they could work just fine in a bedroom. I liked all of these but again had no real plan so didn't purchase any at the time.

Tossing ideas. Anyone like any of these? Though I want to make sure I add more colors to the room besides blue and white.

Like the off-white/cream with blue and the blue damask looking ones in the middle.

Close up.

Like the navy circle medallion one.

They have the middle one in a red colorway too.

Don't care for the shade of light blue in the middle of these below.

Nicci - Good point about the lamps with the gold on the long dresser. I agree the daffodil painting could stand to not go above the trim but I really like that painting and don't care so much for the hunt print at this point. Eventually I may find another piece to replace the daffodil one. I wouldn't mind moving it to above one of the nightstands but I'd want something very similar visually for the other side. I think I'd have a hard time finding the right piece.

Thanks for for all the suggestions! I really like all the items you posted. That blanket, first one, is awesome! I like the red curtains too. Wondering if the pillows come in 22".

Jjam! Hi! I have a blue and white lamp in the living room I'm going to move into the bedroom for a visual. I'll try and take a photo tomorrow. I may end up ordering the blue & white ones. I really like the shape. Hoping the flower design looks nicer IRL, if not I could return. I really like the bamboo bases but I'll admit to being somewhat over that style of drum shades. I should probably be sorting this other bedroom fabric/pillow/curtain business out first. Unfortunately no HG's close. I have a TJ Maxx but their lamp stock is nothing to get excited over most of the time. I'm heading on a few adventures next week and I may be able to stop in at a HG while out.

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Sheeisback, wow some of those curtains were nice - and such great prices ! I really like the circle medallion pattern ( especially the beige and white one, if it would go with your walls , bedskirt and carpeting in real life ), and also the navy with white lattice . I think you are smart to wait though , until you get an overall sense of your plan. — Glad you liked some of my thoughts. — Hope you have fun with it all.
    User thanked niccidhg
  • PRO
    4Heidesign
    5 years ago

Sheeisback, Those are some great print drapes at Lowes. Much would depend, however, on the lamp you select, if you went with the patterned blue and white lamps, I’m not sure that any of those Lowes prints would work well. Several would look great with the taller white lamp, yet not the blue and white print. Lots of decisions to make! I just bought a house, and am in the same process of decisions, decisions myself, so I feel your pain!

User thanked 4Heidesign
  • alex9179
    5 years ago

I like the one in the red color way.

Here's one on sale today. I like the shape. 30" high.

White glass & brass

Edit: Dang! I'm thinking of getting these - lol. This goes back to how much visual mass you want. Glass jar lamp

User thanked alex9179
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Heidi - Oh that's exciting! It's terrible I know I should enjoy the process and I do to a point, but I also just want an overall feel of a room to be finished so I can move on.

Several would look great with the taller white lamp, yet not the blue and white print.

To be clear, so you're saying if I went with blue & white the blue and white fabrics don't work well?

Alex - Thanks for linking those. I saw the first one before and do like it but the review had me move away. They mentioned it needing a stronger base and the glass being thin. Boo.

Those glass ones are pretty. Normally I only see clear glass or some type of blue or green. I always find myself studying glass lamps in a room because sometimes I think they work great and other times I think the area could use more visual weight.

I've considered wall sconces on and off. Lamps feel like a safer option.

What about this fabric for a pillow? I've had it saved for a long time and remembered it tonight.

It's linen.

Art would go. Curtains would change. To what I don't know....

I saved the fabric after seeing it here a few years back. (link below) I love it as curtains but that's a lot of fabric and I don't want to spend that much. I'd be willing to increase me bed pillow amount - the stripe euro shams, two square of this print, and one more pillow in another fabric in front.

vignette design curtains

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Holly Mathis also used it. I like the pair with the small print Schumacher fabric. That comes also in a red and navy colorway. I like everything about this room honestly.

http://www.hollymathisinteriors.com/

ETA - Purchased remnant piece of the tree looking paisley fabric. Will go from there.