SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dw62797

Need quick help choosing a tree for my front yard from a list of six.

D W
5 years ago

Last fall a big wind toppled an old, tall tree in my front yard. Today we got a letter from the Village regarding their Tree Replacement Program, which is open to all residents. I'd like to replace the one tree for sure, and possibly plant two. The requests are 1st come - 1st serve (varieties are available on a limited basis) and all orders are due by 3/31; so I can't deliberate too long (as I can be prone to do). Thanks for your help!

They are offering 6 tree options: Kentucky Coffee, London Planetree, Frontier Elm, Red Sunset- Red Maple, Common Hackberry and Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac.

I live in a suburb of Chicago, so we get all seasons including hot, humid summers and frigid winters. The tree(s) will be planted along the parkway. We don't have sidewalks. My home is a small, white stucco cottage, built in 1940. The front yard faces west and gets a lot of sun.

Since I moved into this home a little over two years ago, I pulled out all the huge, overgrown bushes that had taken over the house and landscaped the front to highlight her pretty face. Our small, quaint village is a mix of old homes and new construction and my block represents both. In the picture you'll see my tiny cottage is now between big, new construction and a big remodel. Back in the day...all three houses followed the size and style of mine.

The new landscaping closer to the house includes the following trees: a Japanese Maple, a Sargent Crabapple and a Redbud, along with other bushes & plants.

I don't know much about the trees on the list, so started to research online. Then I thought I'd come here for help, as Houzz members have helped with other interior projects!

I worry the Kentucky Coffee, London Planetree and Red Maple could be messy with their seed pods, seed balls and whirly, helicopter pods. But I do love the color of the maple!

In reading online, people say the Hackberry is also messy with its berries and branches.

I like the Japanese Lilac, but wonder if it will be more like a shrub than a tree.

For some reason, the Frontier Elm is not speaking to me, but I don't have anything really against it either.

I'm someone who feeds the birds (and the squirrels) and tries to garden with the birds, bees and butterflies in mind. To that end, the three messy seed trees and the hackberry are likely most friendly, although the lilac would be lovely for my flying friends too.

When I was heartbroken by my fallen tree, my neighbor tried to cheer me by saying she felt the big tree that fell was too large in scale for my sweet cottage. So now I have the opportunity to make a choice more fitting for my home.

What do you recommend? Which trees from that list do you like and why? Which would you advise I rank as my last choice and why?

This picture was taken the day the tree fell. It was on a Sunday and they came to take the remaining trunk down right away. The stump was removed the following week. I've been told the new tree(s) cannot be planted where the other tree once stood.

Thanks again for your insights!!

Comments (36)