SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_wickett

how many tomato plants to grow for canning?

Amy Wickett
5 years ago

I don't know that I'd be using them for canning but I would be using them for more than just eating out of hand. They'd be used for making sauce/puree.

I realize that if you plan to grow tomatoes to use them for what I plan to use them for, you have to grow a larger amount of plants (even a small batch of sauce requires a large amount of tomatoes).

I understand the amount of plants you grow varies, as it depends on how many people you're growing them for, but this would just be for myself. However since making sauce requires a lot of time and effort, I'd prefer to do large batches (by large I mean a minimum of 8 lbs. raw tomatoes).

My last question is in regards to extending my harvest (staggering it). Typically I know in order to do this, you'd grow indeterminate varieties, because they produce all season until a frost kills them.

I have a decent amount of space available, but I don't have acres of land to garden on either, and indeterminate tomato plants take up a lot of space. I could trellis, but this will mean added expense, and I'm trying to avoid spending a fortune on gardening. If I were to grow varieties that mature at different times (early season, mid-season, and late maturing) could I accomplish the same thing that you would growing indeterminate varieties?

Comments (12)