SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thetunaguy

How many tomatoes per plant?

thetunaguy
16 years ago

IÂm sure happy to find this site. You guys and gals sure know your Tomatoes. Got a quick question for you expert tomato growersÂ

IÂm going to be planting about 40 tomato plants, most will be heirloom tomatoes, (5) San Marzano, (5) San Marzano Redorta, (5) La Roma and (3) JulietÂs. These are going to be used for canning.

I would have started some more San Marzano and San Marzano Redorta in my seed starter kit but I only had room 25 plants and some didnÂt germinate and I started late.

How many tomatoes do you think I could get out of these plants for canning? I could go out and buy some more RomaÂs or something else that yaÂll suggest if need be.

IÂd like to put away about 40 to 60 quarts of tomatoes at the end of the season, so IÂll do whatever I have to and try to make it happen.

The other plants IÂll be growing will be some Better Boy, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, Lemon Boy and a few others.

The garden is 25ft / 22ft. I think I could put about another 20 plants in the garden if necessary. That would give me a total of 60 tomato plants. So, what do yaÂll think I should do??? Thanks.

Sandy

Comments (11)