SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

How best to fix this Cambria & cabinet cock-up?

MizLizzie
5 years ago

Something went wrong with my kitchen install in our retirement home. The cabinets went in 2-3 weeks ago. The Cambria went on last week. The home is 3+ hours away, but I finally got a chance to drive up yesterday. Everything is beautiful. But the faucet is off center at least 1” to the left of the window stile. It is not centered on the window as drawings indicated. It is, however, centered squarely on the Kohler emblem of the sink. I conclude the sink base is not centered on the window?

Because of the wide window stile, this 1” offset is obvious. At least it is obvious to me. I won’t even get into the terrible prospect of having to cut another slab of Cambria to fix this. There were leftovers, but I certainly do not want three seams in that run of countertop. Anyway, for now, as I think through what to ask the cabinet maker to do to fix this, I first want to consider cabinet alignment. There is a small 9” filler cabinet to the right of the sink that I should imagine could be cut down to 8” and the door remade to skootch everything to the right. But this will require a 1 inch filler on the left side of the sink. So my question is this: where would a filler be least noticeable? On the left side of the sink base? Or on the left side of the four-drawer cabinet adjacent to the oven stack? I’m having trouble envisioning what a filler would look like on the left side of the sink base, but it is by far the most hidden spot from the most viewing angles.

I know a lot of people would say get over it, it’s just 1” off center so ask for a credit. I don’t want to say money doesn’t matter but money isn’t the object here. I will either learn to live with it, or I will ask them to fix it. Fixing it is going to be very hard and cost this small family business a lot of money, mostly in the Cambria re-fabrication. They are wonderful people who have performed generally flawless work and it makes me heartsick to be a b**tch. But like my sister said, if I didn’t want perfection, I could’ve gone to Lowe’s, and bought stock cabinets with some Allen & Roth countertop and saved probably 30%. Thanks in advance for any views on the filler situation.

Comment