SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkayetwvz5

New Products - Miracle Grow Organics and Scotts Soil Improver

lkayetwvz5
5 years ago

I'm always looking for new (or old products that I might have missed) to improve my soil and plants.

Tractor Supply just got in a new Miracle Grow Performance Organics fertilizer in three different size/formulas in a new distinct black container. Unfortunately I did not have my 'readers' on and hubby was nowhere to be found so I could only vaguely read the contents. I could decipher that the nitrogen comes from soy protein hydralate (?) plus bone meal, rock phosphate and other stuff. I was particularily interested in the water soluble formula to use on my seedlings and greenhouse stock. It is hard to imagine true rock phosphate and bone meal being totally water soluble unless they have been treated with something nonorganic to make them such. A slurry maybe but not totally water soluble. I went online to see if I could get any more information from the Scotts site but not much help.

Ace Hardware now has a Scotts product which I have not seen before. It's Scott's Foundation Soil Improver. On sale right now for $30.00 for 5000 sq ft. I thought it was for areas specifically along house foundations but it's not. It's for improving the foundation of your soil. So sounds good. Went to the Scott site and no information on the contents. Went to Ace and at least they got part of the contents listed - Biochar, azomite and A...description ends abruptly. Biochar sounds interesting - Mother Earth tells you how to make it by digging a trench and burning brush and weeds and then smothering the fire with a thin layer of dirt until they smoke and make charcoal. But they also state "Biochar alone added to poor soil has little benefit to plants, but when used in combination with compost and organic fertilizers it can dramatically improve plant growth while helping retain nutrients in the soil". Organic Gardening was less impressed and said biochar is overrated and quotes statements from Humus and Agriculture Journal that 'claims of 1000 year stability is actually 10-100 years or roughly the same as compost.' A symposium on biochar was so inconclusive that the only thing they accomplished was removing the bio from biochar and renaming the substance plant charcoal. Whoopee! Wonder who paid for that? On to Azomite - 'contains 70 minerals and trace elements. Used as a remineralization for soils and anti-caking agent in animal feeds.' Walmart has it apparently ($13.59? for 5lbs) or you can order it through them. Comes from Utah volcanic fields. Am I impressed or will I buy it? Probably not. But I had to do a lot of research to come up with the information that was not provided by the manufacturer.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert