SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stupidlazydog

Growing cactus from seed.... share your tips, please!

About 4 years ago I decided to try growing some Astrophytum myriostigma from seed. I lost a number of seedlings early on from having too water retentive a mix, and then lost the rest later on from too much sun and too little water... they're cactus, they should need lots of sun and hardly any water, right? Oh well, live and learn :-)

A couple of years ago, I decided to try again, so I planted some seed marked Astrophytum myriostigma Japan mix. This time I planted them in food containers with plastic lids. I poked holes in the bottom, and used a mix of turface and pumice fines. I still lost a few early on to rot/mold, but not too many.

seed started 4/17 and grown under lights with a plastic lid on. I think I kept the lid on for about the first year, and transplanted them into community pots in mostly pumice,

fall 2018. They're certainly Astrophytum seedlings, but I don't think that most look much like myriostigma, although that species does have many weird and wonderful variants.

Here they are as of today. Still growing under lights.

a closer pic of one of the pots...

In 5/18 I planted more cactus seedlings, various forms of A. myriostigma, some A. asterias, and some marked "gift mix". Also some Mammilllaria hahniana c.v. long hair.

Some Astrophytum seedlings on 6/6/18

transplanted into community pots 11/2/18

At this point I put the pots in a big plastic box and kept the lid on for a couple of months.

2/23/19

I have found that cactus seedlings need less light, and way more moisture than I would have thought. The times I have tended to lose them are early on, and later when transitioning them from having a lid on, to keeping it off.

Anyone growing cactus from seed, please share your methods. What has worked for you, and what has not? Do you fertilize, and, if so, with what?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths