SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sofia_guerrero89

how-to arrange living room

Sofia Plasencia
5 years ago

So I'm not sure where to begin. So i just purchased this sofa like a charcoal grey(i'll post my inspo photos & of my living room). I had envisioned doing my living room a certain way, but the shape of the sofa threw me off. I dont know what shape of rug i should get? Also, on the opposite side i wanted to mount my tv, get a cute credenza or entertainment center, open space bookshelf & industrial lamp, but idk if its right or not. i want to balance the room since the side where the sofa is looks so heavy.

Comments (70)

• User
    5 years ago

I was thinking the same thing yayagal

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Can you take another photo of the sofa in that last position, but from as far back as possible, and another one from the hallway on the right toward the sofa?

• Related Discussions

how to arrange the living room

Q

Comments (2)
    I like to draw out my room on graph paper, and make little paper cutouts of the furniture. It allows me to move the furniture around, without moving the furniture around! Much as I would hate to obstruct the windows, you would get a lot less glare on the TV if you put it in the other corner. Couch across from fireplace, one chair in the corner where the TV is now, perhaps another chair between the FP and window. It's hard to get the depth of the room from a photo. What is behind you (as you stood to take the picture)?
    ...See More

Cant figure out how to arrange new living room

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm having a hard time really seeing the space right. Is the striped couch just by itself? In the first photo, does the green wall wrap around to the yellow wall or is there a walkway that leads around there. The second photo, can you stand in that spot and take a picture to the left?
    ...See More

How to arrange living room???

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey, It is hard to tell without knowing the measures that it fits, but I see the TV spot just infront of the fireplace. The fire place can have a little rug and cosy chair next to it. You owned a great space to arrange, love it
    ...See More

How to arrange odd living room

Q

Comments (33)
    I LOVE all of the ideas of Design Interior South. I think the two sofas, back to back look great! Just think, you can have your morning coffee on your loveseat, looking out of your large window, enjoying both the view and your coffee. The larger sofa and swivel chairs will be available to either watch TV and enjoy your fireplace 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻.
    ...See More
  • Joe
    5 years ago

i also tried this. with chaise to the wall and the sofa facing glass doors

This is the best of the options shown but I am in agreement with the others that it's not the right shape for your room. With 107" on the small wall, you could have a nice fit and a full size sofa and then a chair elsewhere in the room.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

What is to the left doorway, right doorway and directly behind the sofa?

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    to the right of the doorway its a hall, to the left its the dining area ams directly behind is the kitchen
  • Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

so last and fimal option because ive been without a sofa for months amd dont want to go through the process again. so i scooted the sofa all the way over blocking the fire place, and now i have room for a side table amd theres no weird gap between the wall and sofa

• User
    5 years ago

It’s open alright but why block the fireplace

• Dayna Frei
    5 years ago

The photo where you have the chaise to the wall and the sofa facing the glass doors is the best so far .... blocking the fireplace isn't the best option.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Give it up! You need a reversible chaise sofa that has built-in flexibility!

Eleanor Midcentury Modern Bi-Sectional Velvet Sofa, Neptune · More Info

Jane Loft Bi-Sectional Stainless Base, Bayview Silver · More Info

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    well i can't give it up. just checked receipt says "all sales are final"
  • Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i blocked the fireplace because the gap looks weird
  • Joe
    5 years ago

Blocking the fireplace is the worst of all the options; especially since you said way upthread that you use it often. If it's not returnable for sure, I'd still call the store (might get a sympathetic ear) .... then sell it or take the plastic off it and put it in the location you like best and live with it for a few weeks.

Lesson learned be sure to measure and use painter's tape when considering a new tv console.

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Got that right Joe! Lesson definitely learned.
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Best lesson is not to buy a sectional. A sofa and two chairs or two sofas is much easier to work with. II wonder if you called the store and asked to return the sofa and you would purchase another one from them If that would make them happy.

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    im considering to try that.
  • User
    5 years ago

Sofia, what is the size of that wall next to window is it 8 or 9 feet? A sofa and accent chairs would be your best bet.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I like chaise to the wall facing the glass doors best. Will there be a glare on the TV if you put it where the sofa was originally? Is there a nice view out the sliding doors?

Of course, my first choice would be to change the sectional for a sofa and two chairs.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

See if the store will exchange your sectional for a sofa and two chairs. You haven't even unwrapped the thing yet, and if a sofa and two chairs cost more than the sectional, they'll be ahead of the game.

If they won't exchange, then your arrangement with the chaise against the wall is probably the best you can do.

When you look for media consoles, be sure to get one that's at least 25% longer than the width of the TV. If you end up putting it on the opposite wall, I'd aim for one that's almost as long as the wall.

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    great.thank you.should i get an area rug thats small or large?
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I still think you should try to return the sectional. The part with no back wouldn’t be comfortable for anyone. Also, don’t put the tv too close to the fireplace.

• User
    5 years ago

Grover, thank you! You did it before I could use words to describe what I was thinking. Get the extension cord and position the TV on the opposite end if the FP is a worry. Get an area rug that will have both ends of the sectional on it.

ETA: Pull the sofa away from the wall and use a long sofa table behind it for lamps since you don’t have room for end tables.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

The rug will totally depend on whether you keep the sectional and which arrangement you end up with. Don't buy a rug till you're sure how this room is going to end up.

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yea im going to have to wait on the rug.so far no luck on a return or exchange, i called. groover how did u do that visual? it's awesome
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I hope when you called the store, you went up the chain of command and didn’t just speak to a salesperson.

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

You can move the sofa out into the room, it does not need to hug the wall. That part with no cushions on the end is where your feet go when you are lying on the couch. Orient the couch in such a way that when you are lying there you can see whatever it is you want to see. In my house, that would be the TV. The way Groveraxle has it is PERFECT. Even if you want to move the couch into the room closer to the TV you can put a shelving unit against that back wall with baskets for your kid's toys or storage for books, DVD's, a throw blanket, etc. Also can put your family photos on one of the shelves, at eye level so folks can see them by standing and looking up close.

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i wish i could do that. but moving the sofa forward even the slightest will make the space alot smaller and look even more closed off
  • Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here's one last option before saying "oh well" to making the room look more spacious. i put the tv in the corner,and we get no glare from here. and i can possible put an entryway table,plant and something on the wall. yay or nay?

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i had wanted a shelf and lamp but i dont think thats possible or my creativity is limited to allow it.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

TVs in corners and TVs in front of windows are both no-nos. Don't double up on them.

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    are TVs mounted on top of fireplaces a No-No?
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

TVs over fireplaces are kind of a no-no, especially when the mantel is high and you're sitting close. Center of screen should be seated eye level.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

If you like the sectional in this orientation best, then mount the TV on an articulating arm so you can adjust it for viewing.

• Joe
    5 years ago

I think this way is best. Just push it to the sliders as much as you can without impeding their operation. I'm assuming your dining/kitchen faces the sliders. It may be a hassle to go around it (like in your recent pic) every time you go back and forth and it'll keep the center open. Put the ottoman somewhere else and get a coffee table in lieu of side tables. Good luck!

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

2 good options, groveraxle!

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Disagree with TVs in corners or in front of windows is a no no.. Unless you‘re hoping to have your home published in Architectual Digest, as long as your tv viewing is comfortable for you, anything goes and that’s the way it shouod be. FWIW, my tv is in a corner of my family room and it’s the perfect place in my home for 10 people being able to view it comfortably. Any other place and only 6 people could view it comfortably. Place it where it works for you and forget where others are telling you to place it. Grover’s suggestion doesn’t allow for very comfortable viewing from any place.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago

Console with TV angled.

Add a little color of you choice...

• geunderwood
    5 years ago
    Can you switch rooms? Try it in the diningroom.
  • Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    no. this is a small apartment and the dining area is half the size of the living room
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

As far as TV viewing, you've still got room in there for a small rocker or swivel chair or even just a small chair of any type. Any way you slice it. You may want to reconsider the ottoman though, in a space that small. I lived in apartments for years and got a very small coffee table on wheels just for that reason. You may even want to consider just a hassock that opens up for storage if this is a tight space apt. situation. For years I used a small trunk as my coffee table with blankets stored inside.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Do not block windows or doors! Not a good look.

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yea i didnt want the ottoman in the first place, it came with the sofa. I'm selling it so no worries on that end. where could i place the swivel chair?
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

What arrangement have you settled on?

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    the one with the chaise to the wall and tv near(but not blocking or top close) the doors. it looks more open.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    im actually purchasing a tv stand that looks similar. thank you so much for all your help. to everyone.
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

I like this rendering by groveraxle. Keep the entertainment unit flush against that wall. Angle the tv for good viewing. Can you use the ottoman as a coffee table with a tray on it?

• Sofia Plasencia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i could use the ottoman. but i dont really want to. id rather get a coffee table. maybe a circular one to break from all the straight lines in the furniture,maybe even those oddly shaped one's.
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Is there an IKEA near you? They have a nice selection of smaller coffee tables. That's where I got mine. Or with kids, you might want to get something with storage underneath. Same with your TV stand, maybe invest in some baskets for the stuff on the shelves. Would be a nice way to bring in some texture or color to the room. And give that piece more substance if you're not ready to get rid of it. Something brown, which would be like your inspiration room. Plus makes everything look less cluttered.

I have to say that I have put both a couch and a TV against a window and lived to tell the tale. (Well not right against it, some space for the curtains to hang and airflow). Sometimes that's what makes sense in a small space. I wouldn't block the fireplace though, because then you can't enjoy it.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Using both a throw and a tray would soften the look of the ottoman...