SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_andersen6616

need help with window design

Mary Andersen
5 years ago

we are finalizing bids and design for our new build. struggling with windows on the front. its a 2 story living room when you walk in...with a loft over looking. how to maximize light here while working around roof pitch at entry?

Comments (44)

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

It's not clear what you are asking, or what the inside is like.

Posting your 1st and 2nd floor plans will help others understand.

• Related Discussions

Need help with window design on house

Q

Comments (24)
    Apartment buildings have elevators and stairs are for egress during a fire so stairs are typically on the exterior wall. Since that wall is not fire rated it is possible to put windows in it. These stairs are required to be concrete and/or steel and can be independent of the exterior wall therefore it is common to see stair stringers and handrails through windows. Private residential stairs are not required to have a fire enclosure so they traditionally have interior stairs open to a foyer or living space and sometimes use an exterior wall for support with windows (if any) only at landings. Allowing the window to show the stair stringer is a modern design idea borrowed from commercial/industrial buildings. This is not a "Transitional Style" design idea but if you use such a commercial/industrial approach and try to marry it to traditional design ideas (like the portico) it will be a great design challenge to maintain a residential scale and not fall into commercial developer cliches as demonstrated by your current house design. In my opinion designing in plan instead of in all three dimensions and arbitrarily assembling architectural elements from different eras and cultures is not true "Transitional" design that simplifies and modernizes traditional design ideas so they work together without looking cobbled together. In fact, transitional design has accompanied every major shift in architectural styles. What you are calling "Transitional" is a developer/realtor term for anything that can't be otherwise categorized. Your house would be called "Neo Eclectic" by architectural historians.
    ...See More

Design Dillema - Exterior Window Colors HELP NEEDED

Q

Comments (6)
    I would not do vinyl, and I would not do double hung. The first is poor quality that doesn't last. The second is inappropriate to your house, which is very cute! I would replace with aluminum clad wood casement windows with a dark chocolate or black exterior cladding. Have you looked in to fixing your windows? Wood windows last hundreds of years with proper upkeep, IDK about windows manufactured when your house was built, though.
    ...See More

Bad design to block window, right? Need help deciding on beam size.

Q

Comments (3)
    I really like your room better than the inspiration :) Very pretty and calm. Agree it's not a good idea to have a large beam blocking the window.
    ...See More

Need help with window placement design on garage!

Q

Comments (14)
    Large windows at the back of upper garage means probably no work table or wall storage. Any chance of throwing a wrench in frustration? Does the vehicle prefer a view or is there some alternative function occurring upstairs? At times you may be able to see into such large windows, and if that is viewable from your house, or street, and the garage is not finished or is storage or whatever, then you might want window coverings. Window coverings are not optimal in buggy, webby, dusty, garages. Do the transoms mimic anything on the house, or is placing 3 symmetrically and mulled together on the side acceptable? Is there any way to enter the lower level other than the overhead door (doesn't look like room for an interior stair)? Can the window become a door?
    ...See More
  • Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the loft is only over kitchen and dining

• Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We like the look and feel when you walk in to the high ceilings and seeing the railing up at the loft. . Furniture yes I have a few ideas, but we will be buying new furniture for the space so I plan to buy why works.

Can you educate me on what you mean by smaller gable?

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Can you educate me on what you mean by smaller gable?

Did you see the elevation I posted?

• Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ok I see the image. I suppose its that size/height because of the loft on the back of the house. I will need to talk to the designer about the loft head space. We don't need it to be 8 ft up there. I expect some slanted walls . . If we could bring down the gable a bit but extend the roof line out, maybe we do a high cover for the entry? and eliminate the separate covered area for the front door . . which I'm worried is going to block light too . .

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

While you are talking to the designer about the loft, talk to them about how much space (or lack thereof) is in the powder room, where guest's coats are hung, where you set items down taken from the refrigerator, the size of the kitchen's work triangle, and if that is a wood stove in the Living Room, how the chimney/stove pipe relates to the loft and roof valley.

• lyfia
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

How do you get up to the loft?

Looks to me that your entry door is making the usable living room space very small with the current placement. Draw in furniture and see how much space you have for walkways around it.

The elevation looks like it needs more windows on the right to balance the house and also something small on that table with that expensive to build loft inside it

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Are you aware that there is no entry or spatial transition from outside to inside? You simply open the door and step directly into the living room, and the 2-level space. It's not a good design technique.

Looking at you plan and elevation, it's very difficult to tell which plane is the one with the large gable, and the nested gable for the entry. All of this needs further study and refinement.

The porch roof also seems oddly placed in comparison with the nested gable over the entry.

If this was my design, based on what I can see, I think I'd remove the nested gable over the door, extend the front porch to include the front door, and look to add a continuous clearstory in the upper area of the large gable.

Good luck on your project.

• lyfia
    5 years ago

Here's your actual living room size unless you plan to put the TV in the entry.

Based on your exterior stairs being 8 ft 8" wide this means your living room changed from 20 something feet wide to about 11 feet wide. That seems pretty tight. I highlighted the box in green. The red shows the implied hallways where you need to be furniture free for access to parts in the house.

Is the loft worth the extra 20K plus that you're paying for it during construction as well as in future maintenance and not even having a way to easily access it. I'm a function over form person though so to me paying 20K or more for something that looks cool, but is going to need cleaning, exterior maintenance, and not easy to access so will see less use due to that - it is not where I'd choose to put my money. I'd rather spend it in areas such as the living room and entry so I would have a decent size living room.

Just as an FYI on furniture sizes. A good rule of thumb is that a 3 seater sofa takes up minimum 3ft depth and 8ft long. Then approximate that you need 2.5 ft to walk next to it. BTW I'm giving smaller dimensions that you can get away with, but can feel cramped to many. You don't have room for a side table if you also want a chair or something else in the living room to use to sit. I think this is why people suggested you'd look at furnishing it now before you build to make sure it meets your expectations.

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

You posted about your kitchen design 1 year ago today, but your plan does not look like it changed to reflect your ideas.

I'm going to suggest you post the entire plan in a new thread asking for opinions.

For a forever house, I'd want to get things a good as I could now.

• Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your feed back. Yes the kitchen has had a couple tweeks. Mostly making the island a little longer to make it easier to set down items from the fridge. I agree the living room is small, but we don't feel we need a lot of space here since the have the loft (accessible from the stairs in the hall to the right where the kids rooms are). Debating loft or no loft is certainly a huge one . . We need to be mindful of foot print due to county rules, and wanted a bonus space, and therefore went with a loft. Lots to think about still.

• Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also note . . hard asking for help on here when I may lead a totally different life and perspective from those here. This is our 3rd house as adults and all have been under 1200 sq ft and the currents being 720 MIL apt with 2 kids. We are minimalist who don't want to have a giant fancy house. This 2600 sq ft house is already feeling huge to us. Most of the extra space going towards a functional mudroom, and nice master bath and an office for my business.

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

The 1st floor part of the house you have shared is the heart of a 1400 sq ft house, not a 2600 sq ft one.

With the house facing south, you are wise to be concerned about light reaching the rear part.

A common, and I think potentially less expensive layout for the loft would be to position it over the kids rooms so that it is largely under the existing roof. A dormer or 2 across the front could let light into the living area and the loft.

Another option would be to move the kids rooms upstairs. This would open up the 1st floor so the living spaces might be oriented more to the south.

As for the 2 story living room, I think they are overrated. The loft will always be warm -- maybe hot, and you are essentially paying for an unusable room (minus the floor) above the living. Every sound from downstairs will travel up to the loft.

As you said, you know your needs better than anyone -- I'm suggesting they may be filled in more than one way.

• User
    5 years ago

The loft is a giant waste of space and money. Redesign to get the kids bedrooms upstairs in some of that wasted space. The kitchen is still not good.

You badly need a Pro.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Also note . . hard asking for help on here when I may lead a totally different life and perspective from those here. This is our 3rd house as adults and all have been under 1200 sq ft and the currents being 720 MIL apt with 2 kids. We are minimalist who don't want to have a giant fancy house. This 2600 sq ft house is already feeling huge to us. Most of the extra space going towards a functional mudroom, and nice master bath and an office for my business.

We have seen all sorts of houses here. There is one thing that works in a small house and in a large house and that is good design. Good flow and good spatial relationships.

Doesn't matter whether you're building a 700 square foot house or a 7000 square foot house.

I would highly suggest listening to those who have commented and not circle your wagons.

• User
    5 years ago
    The cross gable and portico overlap making it virtually impossible to design windows that make sense inside and out. This should have been noticed in the earlier design and planning stages. Adding windows late can only be done with simple houses without overlaps.
    It would help to see the house in perspective view.
  • User
    5 years ago
    You might be able to lower the portico roof so the eaves align with the main roof eaves. That might provide enough wall space for a window feature in the big gable. Perhaps a Palladian window.
  • User
    5 years ago
    Or you could raise the main roof eaves. The short wall height is complicating an already tight facade.
  • User
    5 years ago
    I don’t think recessing the wall of the living room 2ft helps the design. It might be better to pull the living room wall out from the house and recess the door eliminating the troublesome portico. The main feature of the house is the main cross gable and the off-center portico seems to weaken the gable. Ask your designer for some perspective drawings. You shouldn’t be relying on elevation drawings.
    The ridge of the main gable is higher than the main roof ridge. That’s ok if the gable continues across the entire house.
  • lyfia
    5 years ago

So I'm all for building a smaller house and living in a smaller space. However I'm also against having too much wasted space in the square footage and then areas being too small that could use that square footage.

An example of that would be wasting space is for example a 10x12 closet. Where clothes hang on both sides along the 12 ft length. There is 4 feet (2ft per side) of clothes and then a 6 ft wide walkway in the middle. The 6 ft isn't wide enough to use for anything else so there is at least 2ft x 12 ft = 24 sq ft of wasted square footage assuming a 4ft wide aisle which is nice and roomy for 2 people to be in the closet at once.

The entryway in your current plan is one of those. It is nice and roomy, but it really isn't useful. I have one of those in my current house too, but it is 6.5 ft wide x 14 ft instead of the 9ft wide you have x ~17 feet. That is ~153 square feet. This is not an area that will be fully utilized so seems like it is one where your home could cut a few square ft and/or move it to another area.

Have you considered how the loft and the living room will function together? Noise is going to be clearly overheard in either space. No quiet get away. Loft will be hotter than the rest of the 1st floor as already mentioned. So do you have a more quiet area to get away from the noise? And your living room is just a show area that won't really be used or? I'm not sure if you're in a high cost of living area or not, but stairs are not cheap either. It seems to get a good return on adding stairs that take up square footage and the cost of building them you really should have something else than a loft too.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide what you want and find worth spending your money on and what you're willing to compromise on. Just wanted to offer opinions to make you think through your choices and understand the trade offs. Not all square footage is the same. I have lived in many houses in my adult life and an 1800 square foot rental house that was custom built is still among my favorites as to the layout and the usage of space. Large rooms and very little space wasted. It was an L shape where the kitchen/dining/living was one room deep and the bedroom area 2 rooms deep and lots of closet space. It lived larger than my current 2200 sq foot house, where both have the same number of bedrooms/baths.

• User
    5 years ago

• doc5md
    5 years ago

FWIW, I have friends with that same loft-type area and downstairs living room and kitchen like yours... They dislike the fact that when we all get together, the kids go up there to hang out, watch tv, etc and the adults can't hear each other, etc because of the noise.

Like noted above, it may work great for you, just wanted to make sure you thought about it.

• User
    5 years ago
    The house is made up of 4 elements: a long 1 story gabled element; a 1 1/2 cross gable; an entry portico and a shed roof porch. Unfortunately they are not carefully organized creating haphazard intersections and no clear hierarchy of forms.
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

I think the pros here are urging caution and suggesting various redesigns for improvement.

• User
    5 years ago
    I doubt the OP is still interested but the solution is probably pulling the LR wall out 2 ft and extending the porch roof across the entrance. A small closed gable above the entrance would direct rainwater away from the steps. I would make the porch roof standing seam metal.
  • User
    5 years ago
    The important thing to realize is that the tall front facing gable is the central form so all other forms should support it and not compete with it. That means the portico should be downplayed and the windows on the upper part of the big gable should dominate the front facade.
  • PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    5 years ago

"If this was my design, based on what I can see, I think I'd remove the nested gable over the door, extend the front porch to include the front door, and look to add a continuous clearstory in the upper area of the large gable."

Bingo! Virgil nailed it many posts ago

• Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I agree extending the porch roof over would make sense given the window issue...when we met with builder we are debating a few changes. weve been sitting on this plan a while which is why you see old posts we didnt go to designer with any changes yet. After evaluating where the costs are we are considering putting kids rooms upstairs too. this would also help with plumbing being all closer together, less cost on the spendy metal roof etc....i appreciate everyones perspective! whats the average number of times to revise a plan with the designer? ;)
  • PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    5 years ago

Big changes like which level to put the kids' rooms on are fairly rare...fortunately! Small changes happen all the way through the design process until ground is broken and beyond.

• Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Trying really hard to know what I want from the beginning so builder has no surprises. My dad is a retired plumber so I remember all the complaining as a kid about homeowners and all their changes! :)
  • User
    5 years ago
    There are no two design projects that are the same nor should they be. The original idea would have worked if the gable had been 2 stories tall, not that it would have been very interesting. Your designer might have figured that out and moved the design forward but he didn’t. I try to move through options in face to face design meetings. Designing by text and phone can take forever especially when drawing by hand in 2D.
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Mary my design took 15 months to finalize and even then once it was in permitting we changed our front porch by eliminating a column. (Mind you I had asked the builder to remove it weeks before but he figured by waiting he'd get extra money.)

However, I worked with a "designer" and if I had it to do over again, I'd have fired the designer and hired an actual architect. I'm guessing it would have saved me 1/2 the time and me having to detail every single change in photoshop. (I'm an artist with a design background).

You are correct to get it right now because afterwards changes cost a heck of a lot more money. Are you sure this is the best plan?

BTW: Looking at your kitchen I would not put the fridge by itself with no landing space. I'd move the entry to the pantry to the end where the fridge is and put the fridge next to the ovens with a landing space to the left of the fridge. Additionally, I'd make the pantry door a pocket door.

I would also move the prep sink on the corner of the island off the corner so you can put stuff on both sides of the sink. Unwashed veggies to the right and washed, ready to prep to the left. If it were me, I'd leave about 15" to the right of the sink.

I also agree with Lyfa about the long hallway which really is wasted space. If you're brave, you might want to consider posting your full plan. I did multiple times and it was because of the help I got here that I have a fully functioning house that works beautifully for DH and me. It certainly wasn't because of my designer/draftsman.

• Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    perhaps I will post the full plan. I will need to note some changes...i.e. we decided on a 10' island so I have space closer to fridge. eliminated dbl ovens and are doing a 48" professional range. My pantry will be more like a butlers pantry with countertops and a place for small appliances to stay out. For this reason I have it closer to middle of kitchen think I will access it more than the fridge...I want swinging doors on the pantry so I can walk thru either way with hands full. Also by making island longer there will be space on both sides of sink which I agree will be great. Looks like my biggest challenge now is that inefficent entry....
  • User
    5 years ago
    You should mark up the changes before posting the plan in order to avoid irrelevant opinions
  • User
    5 years ago

"my biggest challenge now is that inefficent entry."

What don't you like about the entry?

• lyfia
    5 years ago

Putting the kids bedrooms upstairs would certainly make the stairs etc. worth the money. It would also allow you more windows around your living areas too.

For the entry space maybe recess it in some would help and make it less wide than you currently have. It doesn't fix the overall issue, but reduces the heated square footage. You still have the square footage on the porch though.

• Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    By inefficient entry i just mean how long it is and how it makes the usable living room space small.
  • User
    5 years ago

Pulling the front wall of the living room out 2 ft would help and would probably save money since it would eliminate four corners in the foundation. Pulling the wall out another 2 ft wouldn't cost much and would allow the front facing gable to be a stronger architectural element and look less like an overgrown dormer.

• User
    5 years ago

One of the major costs of the house design will be the ridge beam that allows there to be a cathedral ceiling over the living room and loft.

• User
    5 years ago

The drawings appear to be drawn by someone with drawing experience but I see on the plan that there is a smoke & CO detector above the kitchen where it can be set off by normal cooking which is not required or recommended.

Also the smoke & CO detectors are all labeled CO2 as if the level of carbon dioxide needed to be monitored in a home.

If you want to get beyond your present design problems, please post your plans.

• Mary Andersen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thank you all. Im starting a new thread with plans posted.