SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becca_adams5860309

Awkward Front Entry in to Dining room - please help!

Becca
5 years ago

We have racked our brains and the internet and are STUCK! We have a cute (small) 1920s home and we should have paid closer attention to the awkward layout when we purchased it two years ago! There are some serious awkward elements:

1. The front door enters in to the middle of a room. The room isn't deep enough to accommodate the entrance, so really only half of the front entrance space is usable as a room.

2. There's a bathroom in the front entrance space, making it an odd room to arrange

3. There's really own one GOOD room on the main floor.

We used to have the living room in the front entry space, but were forced to have a tiny couch (to accommodate the front door) and it always felt like we were sitting out on the front porch instead of in a cozy living room. On a whim, I put the living room furniture where we used to have the dining room and it worked perfectly. We are able to have a much larger, cozier couch, and room for our baby to crawl around. BUT now we're stuck on the dining situation.

We have a beautiful, but too large, rectangular, dining room table. It's currently squeezed in front of the bathroom door because it's the only place it fits, but it's not ideal. I tried to put together a layout on RoomSketch so you guys can see the layout of the first floor. There's a fireplace to the right of the entrance, which makes for a nice little sitting area. My hope was to put the dining area to the left of the front door, but it definitely won't work with the current table.

So I guess what we're looking for is help figuring out a creative way to make the front room in to our dining room, without having people sit practically in the bathroom. We also want to avoid opening the door right in to a table that looks cramped and crowded.

Thank you for you help!! Below is a floorplan with the front entry at the top of the design.

Comments (26)