SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Dig out big lotus stock tank?

5 years ago

I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank in the ground that has grown lotus for about 12+ years. The past several years, it's only grown some leaves, even though I fertilize it throughout the summer.

A couple years ago my husband dug out about a foot of the top soil. But I know when I grew lotus in a pot, it needed thinned every other year at least. I'm thinking this entire 300 gallon stock tank must be totally full of roots/tubers and very little soil. So now I'm thinking the entire contents needs to be replaced. I'm 69, so I'm thinking that this replacement will give me lotus blossoms for the rest of my life. :) Is my thinking correct about there probably being very little soil left in this tank? There are a couple dying ash trees that keep it from getting a whole lot of sun, which I'm sure affects the lotus's growth....but I'm thinking it's more of a compacted root issue.

Sure wish we had one of those small powered digger pieces of equipment. To make the dig-out easier, we do have a post-hole digger. That would probably help to start with.

Any suggestions about anything I've said? Thanks.

Seeing lotus blossoms is good for the soul. :)

Comments (5)