Book club lists again - 2019
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (18)
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Book Clubs
Comments (24)Meredith (naughtykitty), here is the starter list. :-) I haven't compiled the list from 2012 and early 2013 yet but it's coming. :-) Will list the upcoming 2013 books as we read them. 1998 Eva Perón Fraser, Nicholas and Marysa Navarro A Cup of Tea Ephron, Amy The Notebook Sparks, Nicholas A Change of Heart Claire Sylvia; William Novak A Yellow Raft in Blue Water Dorris, Michael Divided Lives Elsa Walsh Divine Secrets of the YA-YA Sisterhood Wells, Rebecca The Color of Water McBride, James The Horse Whisperer Evans, Nicholas 1999 The Chin Kiss King Veciana-Suarez, Ana A Year In Provence Mayle, Peter All The Pretty Horses McCarthy, Cormac Falling Leaves Yen Mah, Adeline Memoirs of a Geisha Golden, Arthur Snow Falling in Cedars Guterson, David Stones for Ibarra Doerr, Harriet The Fencing Master Perez-Reverte, Arturo The Reader Schlink, Bernhard; Carol Brown Janeway The Song of the Lark Cather, Willa; Doris Grumbach 2000 A Prayer for Owen Meany Irving, John Gap Creek Morgan, Robert Laguna Heat Jefferson Parker, T. Midwives Bohjalian, Chris Prodigal Summer Kingslover, Barbara Red Light Jefferson Parker, T. The Blue Hour Jefferson Parker, T. The Slave Girl Emecheta, Buchi We The Living Rand, Ayn Where the Heart Is Letts, Billie 2001 Before Women Had Wings Fowler, Connie May Chocolat Harris, Joanne Fortune's Rocks Shreve, Anita Guests of the Sheik Fernea, Elizabeth Warnock Left Behind Tim F. LaHaye; Jerry B. Jenkins Silent Joe Jefferson Parker, T. The Bone Setter Tan, Amy The Haj Uris, Leon The Ladies Auxiliary Mirvis, Tova The Red Tent Diamant, Anita 2002 Drowning Ruth Schwarz, Christina Good in Bed Weiner, Jennifer Managing Ignatius Strahan, Jerry Sister of My Heart Divakaruni, Chitra Banerjee The Fig Eater Shields, Jody The Fourth Treasure Shimoda, Todd The Girl With The Pearl Earring Chevalier, Tracy The Makioka Sisters Tanizaki, Junichiro; Jun-Ichir-O Tanizaki The Painted Bird Kosinski, Jerzy The Shipping News Proulx, Annie 2003 Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress Sijie, Daj Blue Shoe LaMott, Anne Embers Márai, Sándor I Am Madame X Diliberto, Gioia Lovely Bones Sebold, Alice Mrs. Dalloway Virginia Woolf; Maureen Howard Running In The Family Ondaatje, Michael The Da Vinci Code Brown, Dan The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency McCall Smith, Alexander Unsolicited Kaewert, Julie Waller 2004 Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons Landvik, Lorna Caramelo Cisneros, Sandra I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Angelou, Maya Reading Lolita in Tehran Nafisi, Azar The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Haddon, Mark The Lady and the Unicorn Chevalier, Tracy The Miracle of Edgar Mint Udall, Brady The Namesake Lahiri, Jhumpa The Secret Life of Bees Monk Kidd, Sue The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax Gilman, Dorothy 2005 Death Comes for the Archbishop Cather, Willa Dreams From My Father Obama, Barack Having Our Say Delany, Sarah L. ; A. Elizabeth Delany Heart Full of Lies Rule, Ann The Chinese Gold Murders van Gulik, Robert The Cold Sassy Tree Burns, Olive Ann The Cruelest Miles Salisbury, Gay; Laney Salisbury The Kite Runner Hosseini, Khaled The Sunday Tertulia Carlson, Lori Mari The Tender Bar Moehringer, J.R. 2006 Devil in the White City Larson, Erik Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight Alexandra Fuller Hallbaloo in the Guava Orchard Desai, Kiran How to Read Literature like a College Professor Foster, Thomas M.C. Beaton Mystery (member selection) Beaton, M.C. Me Talk Pretty One Day Sedaris, David Snow Flower and the Secret Fan See, Lisa Sweet Diamond Dust Ferré, Rosario The Memory Keeper's Daughter Edwards, Kim The Mermaid Chair Monk Kidd, Sue 2007 A Thousand Splendid Suns Hosseini, Khaled Infidel Hirsi Ali, Ayaan Jane Austen's 'Read Alikes' Various Memory of Running McLarty, Ron The Ginger Tree Wyland, Oswald The Glass Castle Walls, Jeannette The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio Ryan, Terry The Thirteenth Tale Settersfield, Diane Unpardonable Lies Winspear, Jacqueline Waiting for Snow in Havana Eire, Carlos 2008 The Shadow of the Wind Ruiz Zafon, Carlos Body Surfing Shreve, Anita Bel Canto Patchett, Ann The Day the World Came to Town Defede, Jim Water for Elephant Gruen, Sara Hundred Secret Senses Tan, Amy Three Cups of Tea Mortenson, Greg Life of Pi Martel, Yann 2009 The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loan Eco, Umberto Plain Truth Picoult, Jodi Kids from Nowhere Guthridge, George Rabbit Run Updike, John The Cure for Modern Life Tucker, Lisa Winterdance Paulson, Gary Obscene in the Extreme Wartzman, Rick Down River Hart, John Outliers Gladwell, Malcolm Molokai Busnell, O.A. 2010 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Larsenn, Steig The Help Stockett, Kathryn Travels with Charley Steinbeck, John Sarah's Key de Rosnay, Tatiana Olive Kitterdge Strout, Elizabeth The Weight of Heaven Umrigar, Thrity The Season of Second Chances Meier, Diane South of Broad Conroy, Pat An Inconvenient Wife Chance, Megan The Home for Broken Hearts Coleman, Rowan 2011 Murder on Astor Place Thompson, Victoria Cutting for Stone Verghese, Abraham The Lady Matador's Hotel Garcia, Cristina You Know When the Men are Gone Fallon, Siobhan The Poisoner's Handbook Blum, Deborah Crocodile in the Sand Bank Peters, Elizabeth Mink River Doyle, Brian Daughter’s in Law Trollope, Joana Middlesex Eugenides, Jeffrey Kosher Chinese Levy, Michael...See MoreFAN CLUB: Books over 500 pages
Comments (34)Thank you all for sharing! So many of you have mentioned excellent books that I had not mentioned. The Historian, for example. Others, like Kristin Lavransdatter, I still want to read, have gone through the trouble to buy, and look at them every now and again as they wait patiently on my shelf. Frieda, I have read Collapse and found it hard to put down. That book formed the basis for many side books into the societies mentioned therein. I have Guns, Germs, and Steel; see note in above paragraph re: books waiting patiently. As for 1491, I KNOW I read it. I remember bits of it, but cannot find it listed in my book journal. I have searched back to 2001 and found nothing. This is odd as I find a perverse sort of satisfaction logging a book into my journal. I also read Tony Horwitz's A Voyage Long and Strange (only 445 pages)which covers a bit of the same ground, but I do not believe I am confusing the two books. annpan, your post made my laugh. You've been robbed! Love it! I recently read the new Elizabeth George book. Most of her Lynley titles are doorstops. But I cannot truly put any of them on a "fan club" list. They were okay, some better than others, but nothing I truly remember, nothing that was thought-provoking. And this last one felt choppy, disconnected, and just plain "off". PAM...See More2019 Tomato Grow List
Comments (44)Megan, I agree about how surprised ranchers are to learn anyone wants their empty feed tubs. The last time that Fred gave me some, he just casually told Tim "I've got about 25 feed tubs that I'm fixing to burn just to get rid of them. You can come get them if you think she wants them." If? If? Tim hopped in the truck and followed Fred home, bringing me back a big pile of feed tubs. It shocks me that someone would burn them to get rid of them, but from what I gather, that is common here. Fred is in his late 90s now and has grown tomato plants in feed tubs for about 15 years now, after he saw how well it worked for me. He puts his feed tubs up on picnic tables, a stone wall, and whatever else he has that raises the height a bit so he doesn't have to bend over to tend the plants. Jack, I have tried 5-gallon buckets and it was really hard in our July and August heat. What worked best with them was a drip line set up with several small emitters in each feed tub so that the roots were evenly watered. I had to water three times a day during the worst of the summer heat in the worst summer I remember. It is much easier if you just step up to 10 or 15 gallon sized containers, but of course, those are not as easy to find as 5-gallon buckets. If your heat isn't as bad as ours, the 5 gallons likely will work well for you. I've also grown in a galvanized metal 4' round stock tank and that worked pretty well. I had 4 tomato plants in it, plus ornamental sweet potatoes strategically planted along the edge to hang over the edge of the tank, shielding/shading the galvanized metal from the sun. And, I've even grown a lot of the weeping, cascading and patio types in one of those black cattle feed troughs that sit up on legs. I couldn't believe how many of those small to tiny plants I squeezed into that one feed trough. Where there's a will, there's a way. Dawn...See MoreIt's that time again - 2019 trends
Comments (16)"I know everything" (c, Sandy Pruel's tatoo, "Golden Chain") no, really, I read too much of these articles, and I usually know ahead too, because of high end magazines etc. Complaints already began,and subway tile is going bye bye, and wood stain is back-but pretty, new wood (sorry Becky.,still taken with your different,new brass))..well nice wood is always nice, whenever if you ask me, and I have favorite wood stains that I prefer-which in darker camp would be walnut and teak, and in lighter camp, unstained cherry, maple and white oak (quarter sawn) They show quite a bit of plywood used lately-and I agree sometimes the beauty of material is being exactly what it is ,not trying to mimic anything. I'd love to have stained kitchen, and would have it under different circumstances. I also adore combo of wood plus color. I'm like that since I was 25 and saw it for the first time at some friends' house. was something made in Spain. I got hooked ever since. I have it too, just not in the kitchen. Kitchen was too small to be visually chopped too much. So the wood is floors. Of course I wanted to do butcherblock too. Didn't happen. And my tiles were supposed to be patterned but didn't happen. Well I have there plants and ceramics and whatnot so still it's a warm kitchen. The tones and colors will get richer-they already did. White already's out of big favor, but I love white anyway, when it's applied right, well I love all the colors-for me they just need to be on the warmer side, mostly. So no matter how many people will love navy and all sorts of blues-I'll admire it in other people's houses, but will keep my own blues to small quantities. Unless I find myself in a very cool teal house. Or something. I don't change whatever works, never ever-I adjust. If something beautiful and works with the house-it stays. Greige will still be in-how else folks will bridge between old and new? Most people simply can't afford it. Will be warmer greige. (thanks for that because all the listing with Tuscan tiles and cool gray walls seem so, so very sad. House looks like it's been beaten..against its will) Luckily for me because as you all know I'm a big lover of greige and taupe..they make me special calm kind of happy, they always did. I probably prefer all things a bit muddier and murkier. Though I do love scarlet, and cobalt, and emerald..but so much depends on the surface. Jewel tones beg for depth and richness. As if they were jewels. So yes, velvet..and glass..and very good paint..plants of course! ok I overexcited myself lol. Of course jewel tones are in. Again, for several years already. I love so many colors and have them all too, and the more colors one's got, the easier it is to sneak another one, so all their corals and terracottas and marigolds and greens-I have them all, and more. I do love certain pastels(pink!!), and I love red..I guess because they become me and uplift me-I color my hair red for the past ten years..and I love black and white,..and I like plants and books..and fabrics and prints..and wallpaper already is in again for years and they already say "no, actually we love wall murals better" like it can't be that person loves all of it. You can love everything-and it will whether work in your place or it won't. It's okay, one can love at a distance too. Or if to listen to them-one just has to choose between gallery wall and big art, like it's impossible to like every art in many forms..or one has to choose which plant to love-fig tree out, succulents out, some pampas grass in, like pampas grass is "fresher"-no, I love plants, they're living things, our contract with them is different, and it sounds mighty stupid to me when some are "in" and others are "out"..if it grows in my house under my care it's in. Same with art-I don't buy anything that I want to get rid of. And it takes me years to collect it. As for different tiles-I'm a huge tile lover, I'm a tile junkie you might say. Tile junkies have to pay..like, a lot. So it is what it is. Can't splurge everywhere. Even my compromises were costly enough. And I like handmade tiles. And backyard hardscaping still awaits me. Will be thousands even if I severely restrict myself. It also depends on a house of course, and ours is styled Spanish Ranch, so I have this element of "noblesse oblige" when I decide on tiles. Would it be mcm-I'd choose different tiles-and have huge fun too. In short, everything that they say is now in-it's already in, and it's been in, it's just they didn't proclaim it before, and not everybody's paying close attention, or looks everywhere for inspiration, etc. Terazzo is in(thanks goodness. even though I've nowhere to apply it. brings back happy memories), and many cool things. I swear that was supposed to be a very short post..don't know what happenned. Maybe coffee. Ah. I love coffee color too. I drink mine with cream. Lots of it. So that's a happy color to me. A result of strong coffee plus lots of cream. Maybe it's tan?...See More- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
Related Stories

LIFESimple Pleasures: Get a Book Club Going
Kick back with friends and a thought-provoking read for an event that’s entertaining and educational all at once
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
DESIGNER SHOWCASESVersailles Comes to the 2019 San Francisco Decorator Showcase
For the monthlong event, designers mix trendy and classic looks in a 1904 house modeled after Le Petit Trianon
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
ORGANIZING10 Ways to Organize Your Books That Don’t Involve Color
Get fresh ideas for displaying your books so you can enjoy them more and find the one you want
Full Story
TRENDING NOW32 Home Design Trends That Will Rule in 2019
Creamy cabinets, abstract kitchen islands, destination bathtubs, compact laundry hubs and more are in store for homes
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNNew Looks for Cabinets and Countertops Emerging in 2019
Dark colors, wood patterns and thin surfaces are a few of the trends seen at the recent Kitchen & Bath Industry Show
Full Story
BOOKS11 Great Children’s Books About Home (and 2 Honorable Mentions)
Homes come in many different shapes and sizes, and these kids’ books highlight the tallest, the smallest, the oldest and the silliest
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESKnot Again! Macrame Is Back
It's happened. A craft that typified 1970s style (the owls, the spider plants!) is back, but better
Full Story
yoyobon_gw