SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

GOOD News and CRAZY News

chisue
5 years ago

GOOD: You may remember that I started chemo for multiple myeloma in June. It was expected to last 8 - 12 months. I'm too old for the stem-cell therapy that is the only 'cure' for MM, but this week I reached 'very good' numbers for one measure and plateaued 'adequately' in another measure of the stage of the disease. I can discontinue weekly chemo. Oncologists don't use terms like 'remission', but I'm 'in that ballpark' and can move to monthly maintenance chemo.

This means I can stop going to my hospital's cancer clinic every Monday for a shot of Velcade; stop taking dexamethasone that day; stop taking Acyclovir against shingles (not that that worked entirely). I'm hoping some of the side effects from these will also stop: Hair loss, blurred vision, unsteady gait, swollen joints. I will not miss the weekly *reminder* of my disease either!

Next week I see the hospital's 'MM guru' oncologist to discuss monthly maintenance meds -- likely Revlimid. This has a common risk of blood clots and aspirin is prescribed. I don't know how this will be handled, because I am aspirin-sensitive (nose and throat swell).

We are happy!

CRAZY: I hesitate to mention a downside, and we will handle it, but you may be interested. Velcade was paid 100% under Medicare Part B because it was administered in-hospital. Revlimid is an oral chemo, so it falls under Medicare Part D. Retail for it is $22,000/mo. My Aetna Part D plan's copay will average $1300/mo. The first two months copay will total $5300, then I'll be in the 'Catastrophic' category where it's $840/mo. So...$15K/year for one drug -- plus insurance premiums.

I think is is criminal that Medicare paid $8K per week for my Velcade -- boosted to $10K as of January. I think it is criminal that any drug that has been on the market for over ten years should still retail at $22K per month -- and only in America.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm