SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_lynn43

updating new home

Jenna Lynn
5 years ago
We are buying a townhome and needless to say it needs some updates! I know I am going to paint the walls the sherwin Williams color alpaca (grey tone) and I’m thinking of doing the trim white. We need kitchen appliances and I plan on going with stainless steel. I am stuck on if I want to do white cabinets with a grey toned laminate counter top, or slate grey cabinets with a lighter white/marble looking laminate countertop. I plan on updating the backsplash eventually once I get the counter tops and cabinets finished. Any suggestions as to the farmhouse/contemporary theme I am going for? I am also changing the handles to match the colors I go with for the rest of the kitchen. The floor is going to stay the same. I plan on using the cabinets I have, as they are real wood and just taking on the project of painting them. Thank you in advance!

Comments (48)

• K R
    5 years ago
    Definitely paint the trim white. As for the cabinets, white is more classic so that’s what I would go for. If you go white you have lots of choices for counters. Are you planning on changing the floors?
  • Jenna Lynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Maybe one day but not now- currently just changing the color of the cabinets and counter tops..I’m afraid if I do white cabinets they will blend into the floor. We had originally planned on building a townhome, and these were the cabinets/countertop color we had picked out. I was thinking of trying to find a paint or stain that matches so I can recreate the kitchen I had originally put together but in this house. What do you think?
  • Related Discussions

Update : New house, old pond......

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello again scottspond and teri904, very nice to hear from you both once again. Thanks for answering once again, as always itÂs very much appreciated. Scottspond : Thanks for the tips, The shower drain is an excellent idea (although most I've seen are side entry so IÂll have to have a look at the plumb shop tomorrow) I'll try and pick one up in the morning and give it a try. Teri904 : Sadly I've not had much chance yet. As I mentioned in my post, it's been pouring with rain since I last posted. Tonight is the first evening I've arrived home and it's been dry. On the odd occasion when we've had a break in the weather I've been getting the pre-filter installed. This weekend is not looking good weather wise either. When I do get to it, I'll post plenty of photos here. I took the chance this evening to take some photos of the pre-filter I'll pop them in a new post shortly. Regards ChrisC.
    ...See More

Update On New Home Purchase Disappointment

Q

Comments (1)
    It looks like Levitt and Sons, LLC word can stand the test of time when it came to my wife and I getting our $500 Travel Reimbursement check only 2 days later than the estimated 30 days! The check was in our PO Box today. I certainly hope that the people that have already moved into their "Seasons at Prince Creek West" homes don't have to wait too much longer for their Clubhouse Center that they were told about in mid 2006. I'll be going back to Murrells Inlet, SC soon, so I'll be sure to peek in to see what progress is being made. Here is a link that might be useful: Can Levitt & Sons Builder's Word Be Trusted?
    ...See More

Update: New House Finished/DH Living There

Q

Comments (29)
    I'm so glad you posted photos. You home is beautiful, may you have many, many years of happiness there. ....and on a practical note..may your Houston home sell quickly, and your settlement be a breeze. The snow in the photos surprised me since I didn't realize it snowed in SC, but then I looked again and noticed that it looks like a wet snow, the kind that doesn't last long. But how nice to have snow on Christmas. Even here in the colder clime of the north (Philadelphia area) we don't have snow on Christmas all that often.
    ...See More

re-finishing honey oak stick floors

Q

Comments (4)
    The floors have bevels on them. That indicates it is factory finished. Before you decide to go ahead and have them refinished, you might want to find out if they are engineered hardwood (thin layer of 'hard' wood on top sitting on plied wood underneath) or if they are thin solid hardwood (can be as thin as 5/8". And then there is the finish. It *might be Aluminum Oxide...which makes this more difficult to refinish (not impossible...but more time consuming and more expensive). Before you do anything, please check to see what TYPE of wood you have and whether or not it can be refinished. I think you have red oak in semi-gloss finish in a clear coat. I don't see the oil finish 'amber' here. Mind you the clashing gray colour on the walls isn't helping the floors.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    5 years ago

I think the cabinets should be painted a light grey. sometimes white on wood looks chalky and cheap looking. painting the trims white is a good idea it will contrast the grey walls. definitely need to change window treatment. but I think you pretty much have a clear idea of what you want and it sounds pretty

• Jenna Lynn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I should add that the Previous owner had the beginning of Alzheimer’s and burned the kitchen counters by the sink with hot pans (which is why they moved her out she was starting to become a danger to herself) so they need to be replaced. They are ugly as well. We aren’t doing everything at once but we put all of that into our budget- we are doing the cabinets ourselves my mom remodeled hers and they worked out amazingly. They are real wood and just need a little sanding before hand
  • PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That's a lot of green.

• Remove the border on the bulkhead
    • Add a crown moulding to the bulkhead & paint the bulkhead the same as what ever you decide on for the cabinets. This will add height to the kitchen.
    • Paint the walls different from the bulkhead/cabinets.
    • Change out the ceiling fan for a different fixture. It doesn't look like it's centred over the island. Is it? Unfortunate if not.
    • Definitely new knobs
    • The desk is using a lot of storage real estate. Unless you would need it as a desk, possibly move the island cabinetry in place of the desk to give you a longer, single level counter and install new cabinetry for the island.... Just a thought.
  • inabunker
    5 years ago

I'm with AnnKH. Why not live with it for a while? I know kitchens are expensive, but if you are later going to bust it all out, or take out the desk and island, then maybe you might rethink? Just a suggestion.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Echoing others who say to live with it for a while before updating it. It's the only way to know if the layout works for you. Painting all those cabinets is long, tedious work and it would be a shame to go to all the effort only to realize six months down the line, the kitchen is not as functional as you'd like.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

The best advice is to live with it for now. Remove the wallpaper and paint the walls and just wait to see how the kitchen works for you. It looks rather dysfunctional in terms of working so you may find yourself wanting to instead wait a bit and do a full gut down the line to get a better functioning space.

Also oak cabinets are quite difficult to get to look good when painted. It's very labor intensive for something that you may not even want to keep once you live in the space for a while.

• gm_tx
    5 years ago

I agree with previous posters ... Definitely paint the walls and trim, but wait on the cabinets. That is a huge job, and you definitely want to be sure you like the layout. If you must update now, then do new counters, backsplash, and hardware.

On a less practical note, you might rethink your choice of grays. Gray on gray on gray is on its way out, and may not marry well with the warm neutral of your floors, anyway. Once you've really lightened up the space with those other changes, you may find that the nice woodgrain is growing on you.

Edited to add: ... And congrats on your new home!

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Fantastic pictures, gm_tx! I'm really loving white and woods these days.

• PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    5 years ago

A little side note.... it looks like the corner base cabinet is a turn-in-place/swivel, lazy susan where the door is connected to the LS. If so, watch your little ones' fingers. I can't tell you how many times I got my fingers caught in those things when I was a kid.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I recommend taking it in stages:

- Paint the walls. That's a really strong color. Live with it a while and see if you're satisfied.

- If not, paint the kitchen cabinets. Live with it a while and see if you're satisfied.

- If not, paint the trim (which is the most work).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

wow. 1985 threw up in there big time.

I'd paint every inch of that oak molding (baseboards, windows, doors,,) white.

Simply White.

Would look nice w/Alpaca.

but alpaca leans a little on the taupe/pink side, not sure if that's going to work w/the honey oak. (you may want to check out Drift of Mist)

I don't know about you, but I couldn't live with that. cook a few meals in there and you'll know what works and what doesn't.

if you're on a serious budget, then check out Craigslist for appliances. you'd be amazed at the deals you find on there. for a flip house we did I got everything (except the fridge) on there. even a wall oven that was 800 (reg 2300) because of a tiny dent you can't see. so, check that option.

instead of laminate, (and a good laminate counter can cost just as much as stone or quartz) try looking at pre-fab granite/quartz countertops. a 9' section runs about $400. you hire a fabricator to cut it for your space.

I'd paint the cabs, no question. if you plan on doing it yourselves, let me know. I have a great link to the complete how to. If you plan on hiring, a pro cabinet painter (not a house painter) should charge you in the 3.5-5K range.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I think the rooms are nice sized and it seems like it has been well maintained. I would remove the wallpaper, and remove those awful curtains in the dining room, and prime over that really dark not so pretty green paint, and then pick another color for the kitchen, and live with the rest for a while. Even the burn mark in the counter. Once you have lived there 3 or 4 months, you will know how well the kitchen functions, and if you still want to keep the lay out and even the cabinets (painted or unpainted, because, they do look nice as they are,) then go buy your countertops. If you should decide to leave the wood cabinets, please pick a color paint with no yellow tones to it.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    Wow Beth H. Seems to me that the OP may possibly be buying her first house ever and you are going to say “seems like 1985 threw up in there?”

OP, overlook the snark and congratulations on your new house!! You must be really excited! And possibly kinda broke - do you care to share your budget? Are you looking for an update you can live with or do you want a complete overhaul? Do you plan on putting down roots, or are you looking to move on is 5-10 years? It’s really cute and you got some great suggestions!
  • Kris Mays
    5 years ago

Inefficiently designed kitchen, unfortunately. I hope you'll be able to correct that eventually.

In the mean time, definitely paint all the wood white. I'd consider painting the chase/soffit above the cabinets white, too. It will make your room really open up, more. Gray on the walls is great. You are onto something. Please keep us updated.

• suedonim75
    5 years ago

The OP said herself that it needs updated. Nothing Beth said was out of line. The kitchen is hideous, no way could I live with it either.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

shadywillowfarm.. what's your prob? that's the only comment you read? 1985 did throw up there. how is that snark? Maybe I should have said, "vomited'. Even the OP called her kitchen ugly. If it is her first house, great. then she probably doesn't remember 1985. Now she knows what it looked like.

Back off of me and go find some other crusade.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Beth's comment was fine since I'm guessing Jenna agrees based on her post. Also, if you read through this, there's A LOT of very helpful suggestions from Beth.

ETA - We still have those same oak cabs, and ours also look like 1985 got pretty sick. :-/

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

OP states the counters are burnt, and "ugly as well". Posting that "1985 threw up in there" takes this quite a few steps further than asking for advice on "updating".

I'd leave the oak cabs for now, clean them really well, and just repaint the walls.

If you must change the counters, I'd look at IKEA laminate.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Jenna, I wish my husband would agree to painting the cabinets. At least the appliances were stainless when we bought the house. Just changing all the hardware to brushed nickel made a big difference. We had to have a TON of wallpaper removed. The print border above your cabinets and plaid window fabric remind me of what was all over our house. We loved the house and, like you, knew we could make changes.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

nosoccermom,,,oh you have a dog in this now? I notice you just love to poke at my comments. the other day you did the same. time to move on dear. And your advice? seriously? "If you must change the counters,,," She's already said she's changing them because they're horrible. She's not asking IF she should paint the cabs, she's asking what color. So why say, "leave them for now" ? How about answering her questions instead of trying to sway her decision or make it sound as if she's making a mistake? Or did you throw in that last minute 'advice' just so it wouldn't look like you just came on to berate my comment? either way, you should have just scrolled on by.

"1985 throwing up" is hardly an offending stab. why do you all care? If the OP is offended by that one statement, in the midst of all the other great ideas I left her, then she can say so.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    There are people who label themselves professionals, and those who are acknowledged by their actions and accomplishments to be professionals.
  • ljptwt7
    5 years ago
    IMO Beth gives great advice. (I've read many of her posts in many threads).
    Paint cabinets the color that goes best with the floor.
  • ljptwt7
    5 years ago

As a vote of encouragement, I don't see what's so bad about the layout of your kitchen. After all, not everyone wants to spend $20000 redoing a functional kitchen!
    And after revisiting your post I don't think white cabinets would be a good choice with your floor as a more contrasting color would be. Could you get a sample of the color you originally wanted in kitchen cabinets and put it next to your floor? See if you like it.
    If you don't want a desk, you could do what we did and make that empty space into a drawer. We got a door front , put it on another piece of wood and got rev-a-shelf drawers to fit. I did not want to have the expense of putting in a new cabinet and new counters in order to replace the desk so we made it work and I love it.
    I think your kitchen will look really nice when you're all done with it.

• Kathleen Squires
    5 years ago

A quick, cheap, temporary fix for the burned counter top is to adhere a single tile over the burn spot. Just to clean it up while you wait for replacement. I agree with the others that suggest going ahead with removing wall paper and painting, then accessing what’s next. Lots of good space in your kitchen. Congratulations on your new home.

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

At OP, if you wan to go ahead and paint the cabinets, I'd seriously consider General Finishes milk paint. It requires relatively little prep and works like a dream. Here's a link to someone else using the paint with updates on how her cabs held up.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/cabinet-paint-rave-dsvw-vd~3485219

@Beth, hard to comment on anything here without responding to any of your posts; you're just so PROlific.

• suedonim75
    5 years ago

No to the milk paint, chalk paint ect. Prep is the number one most important thing when painting cabinets. You have to clean, sand and prime, no exceptions.

• wiscokid
    5 years ago
    Where did nosoccermom say anything about not prepping? General Finishes recommends extensive prep prior to using their product. (Which isn’t actually milk paint, they just call it that, it’s an excellent furniture/cabinet paint)
  • suedonim75
    5 years ago

In her comment she states " It requires relatively little prep", which contradicts what you say General Finishes recommends.

• gduplessis
    5 years ago

Congratulations on your new home! How exciting. I feel your pain...our kitchen looked similar when we moved in. We had three toddler boys so we decided to do the basics...paint the walls, change out the fixtures, change out the fan for a chandelier and chose a very inexpensive laminate from Lowe's to replace the counters. It was a functional kitchen and we didn't have to constantly worry that our kids would ram their big plastic trucks into new expensive or painted cabinets. (They will chip) I suggest you live with some basic changes and then enjoy your family, save for your dream kitchen and go from there.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

nosoccermom,,,give it a rest. your poor other half.

General Finishes milk paint is an acrylic paint. any surface has to be properly prepped if you want good adherence. I've painted with it more times than I can count. The downside to this paint is that you really should apply a clear top coat over it (unlike one of the better acrylic enamels). If you don't have kids or a large family, and you use good hardware, you MAY be able to get away w/not using it, but your prep work better be spot on. (bare wood, sanded smooth and primed).

• moneymm
    5 years ago
    Get 3-4 cabinet refinishers in. You will see a range in prices. Some people just think your redoing your kitchen so they can jack up the price, others will just charge you to cover the necessary time it will take to do the job.

Just make sure they tell you the exact process, there are about 10 different ways people refinish and pain the cabinets. You want as close to a factory finish as possible. You don’t want chipped cabinets every time you bang a plate into the doors.
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

I think you should start with removing border paper and painting all the walls white. You may feel differently about the cabinets. They look to be in good condition and painting them is a big, expensive undertaking. Try living with the countertops for a while. New laminate is not too costly but you may wish to go for something better....It’s a nice space with lots of lovely windows. Love the desk...I think you can easily achieve a farmhouse look in here....

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

GF milk paint is a misnomer, see below.

MILK PAINT

"General Finishes Milk Paint is a premium interior/exterior mineral based paint named for its low-luster sheen, which mimics the look of old-world furniture paint. It is not a powdered, casein-based milk paint, but a premixed modern version that is so durable it does not require a topcoat unless you want to increase the sheen."

https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-retail/water-based-milk-paints-chalk-style-paints-glazes-pearl-effects/milk-paint

Provides info about the paint, prep, specs, and links to projects.

And here for an overview of various cabinet paints:

https://www.thespruce.com/cabinet-paint-brands-4134632

Fine paints of Europe and the original Cabinet Coat are also acrylic-based.

I have used GF milk paint as well as BM Advance; the latter required way more prep.

However, this discussion is veering off, since OP stated that at least for now painting the cabs is off the table.

• itsme72
    5 years ago
    Our kitchens seems to be similar. I have maple cabinets, I think yours are too? And our flooring is similar as well. We had grape border and just took it down, except for a small area we are having a hard time getting to. I got quotes to painting the cabinets ranging from $7,000-$12,000. This is not our forever home and don’t want to dump that kind of money into this house as it’s 5400 sq ft and we have too many other areas to work on. We are doing a partial remodel of absolutely everything in the kitchen except the cabinets and flooring. I do suggest taking a few months to figure out the space and see how you want to decorate the adjoining rooms.
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Itsme72, I think your cabinets are beautiful. I think fresh paint, (removbig that ivy border) a new lighting fixture and possibly a new backsplash would go a long way in updating your kitchen.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Removing

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

What are your countertop?

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    I’m with others re doing the walls first. The I’d pick up some inexpensive knobs/hand
  • Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    *handles*. There’s a lot that I’m sure you want to do, but throwing too much money at it immediately isn’t a good idea. You can actually buy a rustoleum counter kit to cover the burns and brighten it up. I would not attempt painting or staining the cabinets without a whole redo in mind.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Anne Duke: I had totally forgotten about that Rustoleum counter kit. It totally works. The super at my first apartment spray painted her counters decades ago and it looked fabulous until the company was ready to replace them.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Itsme72, I just saw closeup of your backsplash. The grapes are very 90’s. I wonder if there’s any way to chisel out those tiles and replace them with something more current..

• itsme72
    5 years ago
    Amanda Smith, I don’t want to hijack the OP post so I’ll limit my comments about my own kitchen, I actually just started s new discussion asking for help. The backsplash will be completely replaced, new cooktop is sitting in garage, counters have been ordered, Cambria Delgatie, all spindles are being replaced with crown, rest of wallpaper will come down this week, peninsula is being taken out as well, knobs need to be replaced at some point and painting will be last.
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Sounds great. Good luck!