SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Update: New House Finished/DH Living There

drjoann
12 years ago

I know I've dropped off the ends of the earth for months, but I feel like I've been living in the Twilight Zone for most of 2011.

Here is a picture of the house on Christmas Day 2010:

We got our certificate of occupancy in February, but there was so much going on at that point. I was swamped at work finishing up some hardware that had to make a launch date (I thought that would be my last project). And, I had to pack up all of the stuff DD left behind to put into storage (she was in Australia & Africa on a medical mission) so there would even be enough room to try to get our Houston house in order to put on the market.

In April, we shipped enough of our own stuff up there & had new items delivered so that it was livable. DH continued to do repairs to the Houston house, but we kinda drew a "drop dead" date for him to move up there, permanently, in May. I went with him to manage a 2 day car trip with geriatric dogs & stayed for a week. But, most of that time was spent was getting phone/internet & trying to read scads of manuals to even know how to "work" the darned house. No pix :(

I've spent the past two months trying to finish things up so the Houston house could go on the market. I had no idea it would take me that long. I have to admit that I would look at the chaos left behind and just freeze. I've finally gotten past that & the real estate agent is coming tomorrow to get ready to list it. YAY!!!!!

The good news is that rather than retiring (I needed to work through March to get my 20 years) and finding a new job, I am going to be able to keep my job & work remotely. I'm transitioning to a new assignment which is mostly travel, e-mails and phone calls so there is no reason a can't do that from SC and just touch back with the "home base" for the occasional face-to-face. I'm not sure of the start date of the new assignment, but I hope to be in SC by the end of the summer.

I fly out to SC next Thursday for a 3 week vacation. My DD will be with us before she goes up to VA to start law school next month. It will be so nice to see DH. After 2 months, the nightly, long phone calls aren't cutting it. (sigh) I promise pix. And, I know I will have plenty of questions for the forum once I am there and try to get window coverings, etc. figured out.

beekeeperwife - thanks for asking. Sorry about the hiatus & rambling on so.

Jo Ann

Comments (29)