SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Please recommend tile and a few other things for this bathroom

AJCN
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This is a 5 x 8 hall/kids' bathroom upstairs. It's a tub/shower combo. Current bathroom was partially updated 18 months ago, and now we are re-tiling the floor and tub/shower walls. Contractor will create new surround with Hyrdroban board system. Most of the things we already did should stay, with a few exceptions.

The goal is that it not look like a kids' bathroom, but rather a little bit more refined because it is off the hall and often used by guests.

What we already did and don't want to re-do:

- Refaced old vanity, new countertop (Ceasarstone Frosty Carrina), sink and faucet, painted vanity and mirror (SW Naval)

- Painted walls SW Light French Gray, 50%, will touch up as needed after tile job is done.

- New toilet

- Light's (ORB)

What can change if it will make things look nicer:

- Shower curtain can change if I can find/make one that looks nicer. Currently it's a white waffle-weave shower curtain from Target with a piece of mens' shirting check fabric sewn onto the top.

- Mirror: This will require more of a painting task but that's okay. I don't really like the framed painted mirror. Should I consider replacing it with a fancier/nicer mirror?

- ORB faucet. Can I change it to chrome if I don't want to change the ORB light fixtures?

What I really need is a recommendation on is the tile for tub/shower surround. Already chose this tile for the dry floor. It's a medium gray/silvery sort of textured procelain.

Already chose this tile for the dry floor. It's a medium gray/silvery sort of textured procelain tile Merola from HD. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Tile-Traffic-Hex-Silver-8-5-8-in-x-9-7-8-in-Porcelain-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-11-19-sq-ft-case-FCD10TSX/206405819

Current shower and floor tile is 4 x 4 almond tile and a lot of it is cracked. It's going to be covered with a shower curtain bc it's a combo, so at first I was planning just plain white subway tile. But I'm not sure about it. Would that be too stark of a difference with the floor and navy blue paint? Perhaps I could choose a softer white or a very very pale gray. Definately need recommendation on this part of the project. I would also consider using something completely different like glass tile or a different materials from ceramic subways, need suggestions! Thanks.

Here's the bathroom 18 months ago:

Here's how it is right now, still with the old almond tile, but most of the rest was updated.

Comments (6)