quite a few years ago, someone posted a stain remover recipe

OklaMoni

I believe it had dishwasher detergent as well as liquid dish washing detergent in it. I thought I had it... but can't find it.

Anyone have it?

Moni

PS, this one is very similar... but it isn't "it".

https://www.momtastic.com/life/504059-diy-stain-remover/

SaveComment15Like1
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I posted one years ago for stained table linens. In the lowest water level of your washing machine and using hot water, add 1 cup of laundry detergent, 1 cup of electric dish washing detergent, 1 cup of Clorox type bleach. Agitate and then add the linens and agitate till they are all wet. Turn off the machine to soak the linens overnight. In the morning, turn on the machine to finish washing the item. I often omit the chlorine bleach and it works fine. I have used this recipe on badly stained clothing or towels too. Usually the stain is gone in one treatment. It worked great on stored baby clothing that developed stains in storage that had not been there before--spit up milk residue, etc.

1 Like Save     Thanked by OklaMoni
lukkiirish

Was it for a specific type of stain? I use Dawn on grease stains.

Save    
MiMi

Half regular strength Dawn and half hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Works great, haven’t found a stain it won’t remove and does not fade darks or colored clothing

3 Likes Save    
yeonassky

I just make sure to work whatever cleanser I use well into the fabric so that it can break up the stain. I actually almost use my fingernail to work it in.

Save    
jtc

Laundry bar soap such as Fels works on most stains.

Save    
laceyvail

Soaking in Oxyclean is pretty amazing at getting out stains.

1 Like Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I also use the spot treatment that Mimi recommends. I use a spray bottle and combine 2 parts original blue Dawn to one part peroxide. After spraying the spot, let it "soak in" for 15 to 30 minutes before putting it into the washing machine.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

If the stain is from a food or other organic source (grass), you should get good results from any product with enzymes. Pretreating with undiluted liquid clothes detergent, a paste made from powder detergents, or products like Oxyclean should take care of it.

Hot water can set a stain. Better to wash or soak it first in cold water to let the stain be removed before exposing it to hot water.

Save    
matthias_lang

If it was posted "quite a few years ago," it may have been when dishwasher detergent still had phosphates. We used to keep a box in the laundry room--but not anymore.

Save    
tami_ohio

This is one you posted

KT Stain Remover

5 min prep

1/2 cup Clorox 2 powder bleach

1/2 cup Ivory liquid dish washing soap (original formula) you can make this using any amount of "ingredients", as long as the Clorox 2 Powder (it MUST be the powder) and Ivory dish washing liquid are mixed in equal parts. If "Ivory Joy dish washing liquid" continues to appear, be aware that this is IVORY not Joy liquid.

2. Add luke warm water to the mixture, enough to make a sudsy "bath" for your items.

3. Let the garment sit covered in the water for at least one hour.

4. Check to see if the stain has disappeared.

5. If it is still there, soak until the stain is gone.

I've saved this, and used it, since you posted it!

woodrose

I use the same as sheilajoyce except I use 1 part Dawn, 2 parts peroxide and fill rest of bottle with water. Works on most stains for me, and also good for carpet stains and cleaning microfiber upholstery.

Save    
OklaMoni

Tami, that's the one. Thank you ever so much. I'll see if I can get my stains out this time too.

Moni

Save    
joann_fl

I posted it at the KT gathering Place so we won't lose it. It is in the non-food recipes Recipe List

tami_ohio

You are welcome! I saved it when you posted it then. DD has used it, and so have I. Hope it works for you again!

I also still have Lori's skunk smell remover recipe.

1 Like Save    
Bluebell66

The peroxide one faded my carpet. Dumb me didn't test it in an inconspicuous place first. I only had to live with it a couple of years until we got new flooring. ;)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
For Pros Design Workshop: A Recipe for Inspiration in the New Year
Attention to craft, humble materials, mystery and more will influence my architecture work in 2015
Full Story
Most Popular 8 Lessons on Renovating a House from Someone Who's Living It
So you think DIY remodeling is going to be fun? Here is one homeowner's list of what you may be getting yourself into
Full Story
Houzz Call Tell Us Your New Year’s Resolutions for Your Home
Share your plans and dreams for your house this year — whether they involve organizing, remodeling or redecorating
Full Story