SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_cz10

Echeveria care / tips

Bc _zone10b
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I recently got interested in Echeverias, after reading lots of older posts on this site and seeing all the strange, beautiful varieties there are. I had a couple of questions on how to grow these best indoors. I've only tried a couple of them over the years and they do well inside but eventually died after rotting on me.

I'd like to try to grow them under my T5/LED combo lights to help keep them compact and colorful. My house is 65-75 degrees F usually, sometimes cooler in the summer with the AC on.

Few questions:

1. Do they do well in a pure grit type of mix? Most of my other succulent (euphorbias, stapelias, dorstenia) seem to like pure perlite but I don't know if echeverias would.

2. How often would you water them? Do they show obvious signs of needing water? I've read they can handle no water for a long period of time, and I've learned over this past year that even on my heat mats, my succulents do better when I water less than I think I need to.

3. Do they like heat? I have most of my succulents that I mentioned above on heat mats under my lights and they seem to like it. So far in this experiment I've had to water a little bit more frequently because it's so dry in my house, but I'm having better growth results compared to growing them indoors without heat mats.

4. How do some of you water them with indoor setups without excess heat like heat mats? Especially during the winter when it's very dry indoors with the house's heat going. During the summer I have AC in the house and don't really turn it off often. I'm wondering when I would water if they're under lights and at a pretty constant room temperature of 65-75 F, without worrying about it being too cold to water?

Thanks for any tips or ideas! Here are my first two I've recently found, two Ariel Cristata's. These are what got me to look into echeverias more. They have very few roots underneath their stem, most are pink and then a couple of white roots. I'm hoping they'll grow some fresh ones in this perlite on my heat pad since there aren't many roots there-

Comments (3)