I'll Show You Mine/You Show Me Yours - Su 2/10

Annie Deighnaugh

First attempt at artisan no-knead bread...

SaveComment38Like
Comments (38)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

19 Likes Save    
lgmd_gaz

Looks perfect to me, Annie.

Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
arcy_gw

Looks a lot like "Dilly Bread" an old favorite of my kids back in the day. Pairs well with soup!!

Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

Bread & butter pickles from several years ago.

17 Likes Save    
nicole___

15 Likes Save    
dragonflywings42

Best chocolate chip cookie I've ever had that I didn't bake. Newish place in Portland in an up and coming area. Old warehouse, vintage enamel top tables and mismatched chairs and plates, cups, bowls. Fun vibe.

15 Likes Save    
Alisande

Your bread looks delicious, Annie!

When my kids were little we used to make bread sculptures together. When my daughter Gillian got older, she took it to a whole new level. Here's a lobster she made for friends of ours who were moving to Maine.

27 Likes Save    
Alisande

And here I am (on the right) almost 20 years ago, at a party with my friend Karen. My contribution to the party was a bread portrait of Karen, reflecting her new hair color. Clearly, I am not as talented as my daughter. :-)

23 Likes Save    
schoolhouse_gw

I wish I could make bread. I must learn one of these days.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

It's so windy, I can only get one portion of a shot to focus at a time. My yard today.

15 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Schoolhouse, this is the bread recipe I made and it is very easy, requires almost no manipulation of the dough. You do need a dutch oven that can withstand the oven temperature. And you do need to ignore her betty boop outfit!

My dutch oven couldn't take it because of the handle and I was going to buy a new one, but then I realized the handle was just screwed on, so DH went to Home Depot and bought a metal handle for $3 and replaced it. Works just fine now.

I used half white and half whole wheat so needed to add more water than called for to get the sticky dough. I should've baked it the full 35 min instead of the 30 I did, and I browned the top for only about 3 min after it was baked.

8 Likes Save    
nicole___

Annie....I like the part where she washed the baseball....she's got a silly sense of humor. Looks really easy to make. My dutch oven has metal handles, but it will have to wait...I'm not eating carbs right now. How'd she know!?

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I believe this was banana bread. Always a favorite here.

14 Likes Save    
lgmd_gaz

Looked all through my pics, but can't find anything I have made lately. But this is the recipe for what I would show if I could make it. It is what I have been craving for about a month now. Will have to hit Daughter up to make me one. It is one of her mottos..."A Tea Cake on the counter and one in the freezer is as good as money in the bank"

7 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

Clover rolls - half received an egg wash and sesame seed topping and half were left plain

15 Likes Save    
schoolhouse_gw

Whoa! Now that I might be able to tackle, Annie. Thank you so much. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those heavy dutch ovens. Once I went shopping for one, but found they were too heavy for me to lift. Perhaps I'll try again. Thanks again.

Save    
DawnInCal

Annie, your bread looks great. Did you have any problems with the bottom getting too dark? I made that type of bread once. It was delicious, but the bottom was burnt so I had to cut it off before serving.

Save    
DawnInCal

Love the lobster loaf, Alisande!

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

Baked Alaska I made for grandson's 14th birthday after we returned from an Alaskan cruise.

Much more impressive on the ship :o)

12 Likes Save    
Lars

Challah

Rye bread, baked in a Pullman pan.

18 Likes Save    
greenshoekitty

Schoolhouse, start with a n very easy no nead bread. you just mix raise, dump in pan, and raise again then put in oven and bake.

Save    
pegasus101

Annie, what size is your Dutch oven.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I posted several years ago my attempt at the that recipe along with the picture. Several people decided to try it and posted some beautiful pictures of their breads. It was easy to make but mine was a bit dense. I need to try it again.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Here's that thread from a few years ago. And it had my bread picture.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2725883/recipes-to-share

10 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

pegasus, I used a 6qt enameled cast iron dutch oven...my go to pot for making soups and stews and now bread!

Dawn, it didn't burn on the bottom, but it was a little darker than the edges. Maybe look at how high your rack is. Most ovens generate the heat from the bottom, so maybe it was a little close?

I was a little nervous with the parchment as it says it's good til 420, and I'm baking at 450, but dh said it'd be fine. I managed to fit it all inside the pot with the lid so it didn't burn...the video shows the parchment hanging out of the pot and theirs didn't burn either.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Lars A++ on that challah bread. Very attractive.

Next I'm going to have to try scoring the dough before baking like this guy does...he's clearly a genius at it! (photo and bread art: Mike Donohue)

12 Likes Save    
socks

I prefer homemade but settle for Dave’s.

11 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

Thanks, Annie. I'll check that out. Also I didn't use parchment paper so that might have been a factor too. My dutch oven is cast iron. I wonder if that could have been part of the problem as well. Experiment time!

1 Like Save    
roy4me

13 Likes Save    
caflowerluver

It has been awhile since I made artisan no-knead bread. I will have to dig up the recipe and make it again.

Here is a fancy mold cake I made.

13 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Love Dave's, especially the thin sliced version full of all kinds of good stuff but 80 calories per slice.

1 Like Save    
OklaMoni

German style rolls fresh out of the oven

with butter and honey! YUMMY!

13 Likes Save    
pegasus101

Thanks Annie, looks like I'm going to be purchasing a 6qt pot if I want to make this bread. I don't think it will fit in my 3at pot.

1 Like Save    
schoolhouse_gw

You guys are killin' me! YUM. And now I have a craving for a big piece of pie and ice cream. Is that apple pie?

Save    
roy4me

Peach pie from freshly picked peaches.

It is an old picture.

1 Like Save    
sealavender

This thread reminds me that I need to feed the starter.

9 Likes Save    
maire_cate

Now that DH is retired he's started baking bread and this is from his favorite no-knead recipe.

11 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

maire-cate, my DH started baking after he retired too....he makes our graham crackers all the time...a healthier alternative to cookies and they are delish, esp with penzey's vietnamese cinnamon. Yum!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Collections 10 Look-at-Me Ways to Show Off Your Collectibles
Give your prized objects center stage with a dramatic whole-wall display or a creative shelf arrangement
Full Story
Life Houzz Call: Show Us Your Mom’s Influence on Your Home
Maybe it’s a great chess set or a style philosophy. With Mother’s Day nearing, where do you see your mom in your space?
Full Story
Cottage Style Show Us Your Cottage Garden!
How’s your cottage garden coming along? Please share your photos and details with the Houzz community
Full Story