SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachbum0721

Confused on oil vs water based paint for kitchen cabinets

beachbum0721
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I’m painting my kitchen cabinets white (or rather, I’m hiring a pro to do it!) but am running into a lot of confusion when it comes to the actual paint to be used. I am unfortunately really sensitive to smells and things like strong paint fumes give me a killer headache, so I initially wanted to do a water-based paint versus oil-based. Now though I’m thoroughly confused because I have two professionals telling me different things.

The first pro I received an estimate from is more of what I would call a cabinet refinisher. He uses factory-grade refinishing sprays/paints (Chemcraft, to be exact) and does a lot of excellent commercial work, but also does residential. He strongly recommends oil-based paint for its durability and says the paint he uses will NOT yellow. (I don’t know all the technical terms but he said he uses a conversion varnish, if that makes sense.) He’s willing to do water based if I insist on it but said he can only guarantee it for 10 years whereas he guarantees his work done with oil-based paints for a lifetime. He feels like water-based paints are just too weak for the kitchen area. He also said a flat finish will look best and when I expressed concern about it being hard to clean, he said it won’t be with the paint he’s using and also said flat finishes with high-quality paint are actually much easier to clean.

The second pro only uses Benjamin Moore Advance paint, which is a water-based paint. She says it’s just as good as oil-based and has never seen it wear off. She seems to think there’s no difference in durability at all between water-based and oil-based paint, at least none I should be concerned about in the kitchen. She said flat finishes are “in” right now but she would do a satin so it’s easier to clean (again, so confusing - the other pro said flat finishes were easier to clean!).

So at this point I’m not sure what paint to use or which painter to go with. I do want the cabinets to be durable of course - we have small children and big dogs so I clean the cabinets quite often with a damp rag - but I also don’t want to have a headache for god knows how long from strong off-gassing. Any input from the Houzz pros?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022