SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dksmorgan

remodel kitchen for better flow

dksmorgan
5 years ago
Ok. Need input. Will be remodeling kitchen in about 6 to 9 months.
We have gone around and around on what to do. We want to keep resale value in mind as we will probably be selling to downsize in the next 5 to 8 years.

Current layout causes bottleneck at the frig. Also doesn’t have overhang for counter stools on living room side. Don’t like the constant traffic through the kitchen. The bar on dining room side has an overhang but very tight room between counter bar stools and dining table chairs. I currently have short upper cabinets over both bars, on window wall and on frig wall with microwave over stove.

So. Future layout Uses entry way for all traffic from living room to kitchen to dining room and on to utility room and garage. Allows for 1 wide entry into kitchen. I am somewhat concerned about cooktop on stove without any backsplash. I do loose the coat closet in entry way in order to enlarge the opening to dining room. This new layout would only have upper cabs on the window wall. Microwave will move to utility/pantry out of kitchen as we do not use it and a shelf will be added in the small 2’ pantry closet in kitchen to hold the convection toaster oven we use every day.

Two dining room tables are just left from last house and both are no longer needed will keep the largest if I don’t have room for both.

So send me your comments. Both good and bad. I’m ready.

Yes we do have quite a small budget but live in the south and things are more reasonable than in the west and northeast.

Comments (16)