SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megan_huntley_7a_ok

Oklahoma Rain Gardens

Megan Huntley
5 years ago

I have a low spot that has stayed mud for weeks upon weeks, most of winter, and for a long time have planned on a rain garden in the area. I'm finally ready to get moving on this project and have begun diagramming the area and researching plants.

The area is about 1/2 way down a slope, which I've previously addressed with berms/swales that are in varying stages. However, overflow from those will end up in the rain garden. It will still receive runoff from part of the roof and another portion of the yard. The area receives 4-6 hours of morning to midday sun, a few spots sit in <2 hrs sun, and it sits on the heaviest clay you can imagine. For real, I live a mile from where Acme digs up the very same clay to turn into bricks. It is bordered on the south and west with a privacy fence and the overflow will be directed under the fence. It's been too muddy to measure exact dimensions but I'm creating it the same size as the mudhole that is currently there. If I do nothing, it already drains in less than 1 day, so I have that going for me, but the dog tracking in the mud is a problem I'd like to resolve.

I know I'm trying to eat a very large elephant with this project. I've researched rain gardens pretty thoroughly already but was hoping for real, first-hand knowledge of the dos and don'ts and the "I wouldn't make that mistake twice" nature. Plant recommendations - especially things shorter than 2 ft - are also welcome. I'm having trouble IDing shorter natives that will tolerate my conditions.

Comments (26)