SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krystie_k

Fiberglass (Integrity Wood-Ultrex) or Aluminum-Clad (Weather Shield)

K K
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've read hours upon hours on Houzz and elsewhere trying to find a window that will hold up in black on the exterior in full sun, and be able to deal with the cold winters as well (I'm in NY) so energy efficiency is also important to me.

I've narrowed it down to Fiberglass or Aluminum-Clad, as I'm not sold on the idea that vinyl will hold up long term in such a dark color in NY. Currently my thoughts are Marvin Integrity Wood Ultrex or Weather Shield in Aluminum-Clad (NOT their vinyl window), they seem to be similarly priced. I would love to hear thoughts and advice about anyone who has had either window in their home or installed them as a professional, especially about how the companies did/didn't honor their warranty or those who have had the windows for a long time. Thanks!

Also, in regards to AAMA ratings, I'm not sure how to compare the two as they come from two different rating scales due to the different materials:

Marvin Integrity Wood Ultrex is AAMA 625-10 and Weather Shield Aluminum Clad is AAMA 2605.

Comments (8)