SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrybundtcake

Pepper plant in an Aerogarden: light or nutrient issue?

Disclaimer: this is an Aerogarden that is in a public place (so don't rule out random plant abuse) and can tended by multiple people, but I do most of the care.

Aerogarden Note: This 6-pod Aerogarden has been running for close to 300 days, and due to some oversight, only got its water changed for the first time today. It has previously grown a variety of herbs following the Aerogarden recommended nutrient cycle (2 capfuls every 2 weeks). The only plant in it currently is the pepper plant in question, with some herbs trying to germinate.

Pepper Note: It is a Lunchbox pepper, so small sweet pepper variety. It was planted from seed in a grow anything pod. A second was thinned out when it was very small, so it is the only plant in the pod. It is very compact and bushy: it has maybe an inch of knobby stem before branching. It is fruiting.

The Issue:

I pruned off damaged leaves, and I'm wondering what caused the damage. The two things that come to mind are "sun" scorch and nutrient burn. Please ignore the slight wilt to the leaves ... they sat cut off the plant for a while before I got a chance to take pictures. The crumpled dry portion on the one leaf is noteworthy, though I'm not sure what that's a symptom of ... interestingly, that leaf also did not wilt, not sure if that's relevant or just coincidental.

Also, some of the leaves have some odd white stuff on the undersides. The white stuff does not move (so not aphid) and does not seem to scuff off like scale infestation. I'm wondering if it's something I need to be concerned with.

Example Leaves:

Burnt Leaf:

Wrinkled Leaf (supple then dry in the rumpled section):

White Stuff:

Second question for the same pepper plant:

The peppers seem a bit ... mutant? Normally, Lunchbox peppers are basically shaped like jalapenos, but they're red and sweet. The peppers growing seem like they have appendages like they have a second pepper growing from the blossom or they're trying to make closer to a bell pepper shape (with a more pronged shape). What's up with the peppers? I have grown this pepper variety in containers (in dirt) before, but this is the first time I've grown it hydroponically; it's never done this before.

Thank you,

BlueberryBundtcake

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer