SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natural68

PH and/or nutrient lock-up? Issue with E.B. Stone Topsoil Plus...

Natural68
9 years ago

Hello. I'm new to the forums, but I'll try to be as informative and concise as possible.

I've planted my first big veggie garden this year. I've been learning a lot through trial and error along with all the info online. One thing I can't seem to find is good info on Topsoil Plus. I've planted some peppers in 3 gal containers using a high amount of this stuff. I used a very small amount of the native soil, which isn't great in my backyard. It was cheap and seemed it would be a good substitute for expensive potting soil. The product consists of sandy loam, redwood and mushroom compost. Very airy and seems great for roots that want drainage.

Here's my problem. While reading the bag closer I realized it said the product "contains no nutritional value" and to use fertilizer Theirs, of coarse. Well, I have a decent organic liquid fish and seaweed firt that's 2-2-2. It's been going great with everything else in the ground. So, I decided to dose my peppers with the fish and quickly saw curled leaves. Unhealthy color and stunted growth. I didn't use over the recommended amount and watering over the next week didn't help so I flushed them each with a few gals of fresh water. Growth and color have come back mostly. Still a bit of curling, but seems to be straightening out.

My question: If this Topsoil Plus claims to have no nutrient value then why can't I fertilize them without issues? I know compost means something's alive in there and I'll be testing the PH ASAP.

Which part should I test? Top? Bottom?

Obviously, I won't be adding anything to this soil unless I find deficiencies. I'm just kinda stumped as to what the problem is. Or what it isn't. (I'm starting to think I don't have a problem) Everything in my ground bed takes the fish well and I can see the difference within a few days.

Can anyone shed some light on this Topsoil Plus or inform me on the type of soil I'm dealing with? Any othe info on topsoils vs. potting soils is encouraged.

Thanks!
Steve

P.S. I've planted these in containers because I've roun out of room in my bed after realizing I planted the pumpkins and not the squash. Oops. (Most of my bed space wasted) So, don't tell me to plant them in the ground please.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH