SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_44679456

clean sheet redesign- started with bubbles

User
5 years ago

Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of studying on functional and honest design trying to come up with a comfortable house plan for my family. I scratched my old plans and started completely afresh.

I started with the bubbles on how I want the house to function

I tried to achieve this on a one story plan and it wasn't working. the house would be too long. so I tried putting the private rooms on a second floor and that seemed to work much better.

I've put a lot of work into this but as they say, you don't know what you don't know so I'm submitting the plan for critique. This part is free so please critique away. No hard feelings. bonus points if you can make suggestions or recommendations.

"All our experience in life shows that it is easier to criticize a bad thing than to construct a good one. Houses are no exception to the rule. We can easily see the errors in the work of others. We criticize with a spirit of bravado, but when we start something of our own, how grateful we are if some guiding genius tells us what to avoid!" - Frederick L Ackerman

I will share some of the things I tried to achieve

- dining area facing east for early morning sunshine

-trying to compact the plumbing runs and minimize the amount of plumbing that has to go in the slab.

-stairs that are not visible from the front door

-all living and sleeping spaces south facing(guest bedroom will be seldom used so it doesn't face south

-tried to make the circulation paths simple and straightforward and compact

some things a guiding genius can help with

-Anything you see that you don't like

-Master bath is empty. I don't even really know where to begin on placing the shower, tub etc.

I don't have a good idea about how to implement the powder room and pantry on the ground floor. The space is there and is marked with a question mark. the challenge is making it invisible from the living areas while still allowing room for a pantry.

- big challenge in the kitchen - I left this one blank for suggestions. Ideally, the range would be on the wall for an efficient range hood exhaust, but I also kind of want this sink against the wall as I may be able to not have any of the plumbing there going through the slab, but it seems I may not have enough space to do it while keeping everything close. suggestions on this would be most welcome.

thanks

Comments (165)