SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ejr2005

Cleaning old smelly sheets

ejr2005
10 years ago

I have some old sheets that I'd like to revive. They are a bit smelly and yellowing in areas such as where our heads rest. I originally posted on the Cleaning Tips forum and was advised to soak the sheets for 24 hours in 1-2 cups of dissolved Oxiclean with a full water level and then wash normally adding 1/2 cup of vinegar to the rinse water. I did this and it seemed to work well except there is still a bit of a smell.

I started researching on this forum and my head is spinning. There is so much information here! I have a newer top loading Speed Queen.

From what I've gleaned here, the Oxiclean may not be the best to get out what's probably in the sheets - oils from hair, skin and moisturizers. After draining the Oxiclean, I washed the sheets with Arm and Hammer Free for Sensitive Skin, and then did a second rinse. I'm wondering if I should use a different detergent like Tide or Gain that have been mentioned here. I also just bought Green Shield Organic Free and Clear from Costco. I tend to be sensitive to detergents so I like sticking to what I know, but I could always rewash in the Arm & Hammer if there is a problem.

I'm also wondering about changing the color of the sheets. I guess Oxiclean is bleach. The sheets I washed were ivory and do look a little whiter now than I think the were originally. That's fine for these sheets, but some of the others I want to clean are pastel colors - tan and a peachy color.

Also wondering if the 24 hour soak is overkill. It really ties up the washing machine and I think I saw here that the Oxiclean probably isn't active for more than a few hours.

The first set of sheets were Royal Sateen which I don't care as much about. I also have several sets of old Charisma sheets which I'd really like to use for another 15 years.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Comments (32)