SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

The potential unforeseen perils of procrastination ...

joyfulguy
5 years ago

I've been telling myself that I should get my mail from the box at the end of my about 500 foot lane daily, to offer a possible alert to my mail deliverer in case it isn't, as some mail delivery persons are alerted if singles, especially old ones, don't pick up daily.

Sometimes I don't go out until after dark, and tell myself that often it's more comfortable in winter on a sunny afternoon.

It snowed, and on Wednesday morning it rained, taking away about half of the snow. After the rain I said that it'd be better to go out in daylight, as the car tracks probably wouldn't have been fully melted, so slippery.

Doing various things, didn't get out till well after dark. There was some snow beside the tracks and between them, and the tracks were slippery, so I was walking just outside of one.

About a hundred feet out, I thought that I saw a smallish something moving along the snow between the car tracks - a dog, or cat, maybe?

I was carrying the lovely newish flashlight that the kind young folks who tried to give me a boost on the road near home a couple of weeks ago had given me, so I turned it on ... yes, it was a "kitty" all right - of the kind that Dad used to call "black and white kitty" - with a white stripe down its back.

Yes - 5-letter word, like "kitty" - but this one starts with "s" and ends with"k" - SKUNK!!

Greaat - it's heading away from me ... and travelling faster than I am!

As I got near the mail box ... it was there in the snow in the ditch, about 10 feet from me: I moved away, fairly quickly - and was glad that it didn't shoot!

In the days since ... I've gone to the mailbox in daylight.

Later that evening, as I was eating the supper that I'd prepared - the lights went out ... and stayed out. Should I get a candle (if I could find one ... and a lighter)?

Soon my eyes became somewhat accustomed to the dimness, the phone was on and sitting a couple of feet away on the table and there was a bit of light coming in the window, so I was able to finish supper.

But not able to heat the water to give my pressure socks their wash - did that later, when the power came on: I keep my bed-table light on, as sometimes I need do some juggling to take some of the 10 pills a day (of six kinds) during the night.

So when the power came back on, I was able to give those socks (one of three pairs that have served me daily for almost ten years) their daily wash.

All told - quite an interesting day.

ole joyfuelled

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!