SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bustergordon

Generator vs hybrid solar for power backup

5 years ago

Hi everyone! I live a suburb of Los Angeles that seems to be extremely prone to power outages. In the past 4-5 months, we've had at least 6 outages of 6 hours or more (including 3 that were 18+ hours). I've decided that we need some sort of backup power option because, frankly, this is ridiculous.

We have a fairly large house (3500 sq ft), but our power needs are fairly modest in the event of a power outage (for example, I don't need to run our AC or heat). We have gas water heaters and a gas stove, so those are outside the scope, and I just wouldn't run our oven during an outage. Things I would like to be able to run: refrigerator, lights (not all at once), two TiVos, 1 television at a time, computers, phone chargers, tea kettle, house security alarm. We work outside the home, so we're generally not doing all of those things at once, unless the power happens to be out on a weekend. Interestingly, a hairdryer seems to be a big draw, and while I'd like to have it as an option, if it's not possible, I understand.

I'm considering either a Generac or similar backup generator, or solar + battery backup. We have natural gas plumbed to the house, so we would get a natural gas generator. One downside to the generator is the noise factor. In our last outage a couple of days ago, one of our neighbors ran a generator the whole time and it was really noisy! I'd prefer not to run a super noisy generator if possible - are there quieter models? My husband also expressed concern because he read that a generator needs to be serviced every single time it is run for a prolonged time. We both work, and this sounds like a pain to manage.

Which lead me to investigating option 2, a hybrid solar panel + battery backup system. I've read a lot of conflicting things about this type of a system. The Tesla site suggests that a Powerwall can keep us powered for 1 day, 18 hours based on what we are trying to power, which is pretty good. I have also read that you can switch to "off grid" with this setup so that the Powerwall charges from the solar while the outage is going on, although I can't seem to confirm this.

I'm a little concerned that the Powerwall is all hype, no substance, and won't deliver what we need, but it is very appealing in that it's quiet and potentially able to run on its own with the solar recharging. It provides an appealing backup should we have an earthquake (our most likely natural disaster) that takes out the natural gas lines.

I would love to get everyone's take on these options.

Thanks!

Comments (21)

Sponsored