SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marshallv73

Tub decision...

marshallv73
5 years ago

Hello all

I had posted a while back asking about my plan to remodel a small bath. I’ll be starting in a few months and I’m now starting to pick things out. See the link below for the original post if you like-

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/small-bath-remodel-keep-wall-or-not-dsvw-vd~5203329

I am researching tubs now. I want cast iron or at the least enameled steel. I just don’t like acrylic. Cost is a concern as well. I’d really like to keep the tub to 1k or so. The alcove is 65” wide but as you can see in the pic attached, the existing tub is 60x30 and it was set about 3” from the back wall so there is this tiled ledge running around it.

It is handy but I don’t really want to do this on the redo. I was looking at the kohler villager that has the 4” shelf on the back wall side. That would work well, but as far as the wall at the end of the tub, what’s the best option?

i also like the Kohler bellwether (actually like the tub better) but it only comes in 60x30 and doesn’t have the ledge on the long side. If we used that one, we’d need to either push it further in the alcove

(Moving the drain) or set it out and then I guess move the wall out to meet it?

One thought is that if we don’t use the villager with the ledge, we are going to need to build in a niche. The back wall is an exterior wall so if we did use the bellwether we could set it away from existing back wall, build it out so then we would be able insulate behind the niche?

I am not really a fan of how shallow either of those two options are but a) the tub would be used almost exclusively for showering and b) the existing tub is about the same dimensions and it’s never been even noticed. But, if there is a deeper option that would work (within cost) I would love to hear about it.

Anyway, let me know what thoughts you might have. Thanks a lot.

Marshall

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH