SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
umbleabode

Mini-split options: Mitsubishi Hyper Heat vs. Non-Hyper Heat

umbleabode
5 years ago

I’m evaluating two options for mini-split cooling in my home and could use advice from someone who uses or installs Mitsubishi units.

I want two indoor units, one for the living room downstairs and one for the bedroom upstairs. The estimates I received both recommend Mitsubishi air handler MSZ-GL12NA for the living room and MSZ-GL09NA for the bedroom. However, one estimate recommends the Mitsubishi condenser MXZ-3C24NAHZ2 (Hyper Heat, max. 3 zones to allow future expansion, requires a concrete pad outside the house) and one estimate recommends MXZ-2C20NA2 (non-Hyper Heat, max. 2 zones, sits outside on a stand).

I like the smaller size and lower cost of the second recommendation. But how important is the hyper heat feature? I am getting mini-splits for cooling—heating is not a priority for me unless the cost of operation is a lot lower than gas heat. (I’m in the Boston area where it gets cold, but already have supplemental heat in addition to baseboard. There is no cooling here at all.) The contractor recommending the bigger condenser likes the Hyper Heat and says that the cost of the three-zone condenser is essentially the same as the two-zone condenser due to rebates.

Thanks for any perspectives on this!

Comment (1)