SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengems

Keeping mildew out of bag it myself soil bags.

gardengems
5 years ago

Hello, The local garden centre stores, currently selling my plants, is interested in selling my custom soil blend. I can not tell you thrilled I am. This is what I have wanted to do, from the get go. Offering the community another option, beside C&S soil on the shelf or as I have done buy large bags of multiple items to make it yourself. (I'm not saying it perfect, just another option)

I want to do bulk, but it takes too much room at this particular location. If I have to bag it, how to I prevent mildew from growing in the bags. I know when I have put pumice or lava rock in a plastic containers and put on the lid, if at all moist will smell like mildew a couple days?

How do I keep the soil I sell from growing mildew.

At this point I think, I am looking at 11-2 litre kraft paper bags with windows . I know some can be heat sealed. Before I buy something to seal bags, I may not be able to use, I want to try bakery bags, like packaged coffee bags.

Any kind of chemical treatment is off the table. My soil is living with many beneficial microorganisms.

Please help!

Comments (10)

Sponsored