SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_b85

RTRM: Office With Murphy/Wall Bed

Lindsey B
5 years ago

Hello!

Things are settling down in my neck of the woods.. minus a 10 week old puppy that I have patiently waited years for! (Apartment living, then RV living... and now we finally have a home and a yard and life is good!) :D

Our first project of the year we will be working on is my office. I'd really like to also like include a fold down murphy / wall bed for guests who require first floor accommodations, or guest over flow (we slept 6 adults (2 couples, 2 singles) over thanksgiving and would have done more but we were out of room.

The office is "mine" but DH uses it occasionally (we both work from home), and we maybe use it at the same time 1x a month. I have a swivel office chair not in the photos that will be replaced. He is fine using the folding chair when needed. Actually, for a couple hours those lifetime folding chairs from costco are SUPER comfortable!

What "must stay" in the room. I have two 27" monitors a PC tower, and a 27" IMAC. And the all in one printer/scanner. Additionally, I plug my laptop into the dual monitors making it 3. The IMAC is used only occasionally (1x a week). As well as an "Echo Show" screen. We also have a shredder that we would like to leave out if possible. Carpet stays, and I will be getting the ugly carpet protector because the carpet isn't anything fancy. It's in decent condition and 5 years old. When it comes to replace, I'll put in hardwoods to match the living/dining room. I don''t really have a desire to paint. All the house is one color, and I like how simple it is. I'm indifferent to hanging my diploma. There was an existing screw there so I just put it up. The "mola" (panamanian artwork -- two macaws) can stay or go. It's a piece I had custom made for me on a trip 8 years ago. I was born in Panama, and this is the first piece of art I have ever purchased. I was thinking of putting it on a matte and framing it. There is also a "Pollera" printed painting. I know the artist. I was thinking of removing the word "Panama" from it and just framing the woman. But it's not a must.

We need storage for typical office supplies (stapler, paperclips, pens, business checks), we have small filing box, that I would like to replace with something that doesn't look like I got it in jr. high or have it integrated into the desk. So far the small closet in the room doesn't have much in it (but we are newlyweds, and just moved out of an RV). I don't think I need "upper" cabinets on the wall. I'm a believer in the more room for storage you have, the more crap you put in them. I do have SOME crap, but I'm not looking to add to it :D

I'd like to be able to fit a queen size wall bed in here AND access both sides so no one is crawling over someone to get out. I know it will be tight, but I'd rather try for what I want, than settle for something else with out exploring all my options.

I'd like to keep the "feel" of the room similar to the rest of the home, which is transitional. Nothing flashy, or trendy. Here is our kitchen. I'd like to go with a similar wood tone if possible. I COULD do white, but it's not my favorite. All the "accessories" are gone as this is a listing photo.

Here is the dimensions of the room: light switch near the door on the 87" wall (super not convenient).

And a panorama:

Photos, Left to right if starting outside the room.

The fan, that doesn't really go with the rest of the home.. and the light is worthless during the day (and VERY yellow)

I will be getting a new office chair. Most likely a Herman Miller like this, though material and finish are TBD.

How would you do the furniture? I saw this option, but not sure I want my monitors right up against the window. Not a fan of the white, but understand it may be my best option in a small space. (it actually may just be the black hardware I don't care for.

https://www.costco.com/Melbourne-Office-Pro-Queen-Wall-Bed-with-Desk--White.product.100410025.html

The room isn't very bright and the fans lighting is worthless. I work on screens all day, so I don't need operating table lighting.

Budget is 5K with everything I do, including my chair which is estimated to cost about 1k.

DFW area.

Thanks and cheers

-L

Comment (1)