SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_b85

RTRM: Office/Guestbedroom Layout

Lindsey B
5 years ago

Things are settling down, besides our new puppy :D

2019 means new projects. We are waiting on the master and skipping straight to my office. Yay!

Our budget for the room is 5K. This needs to include a new office chair-- most likely Herman Miller at approx 1K.

The room is fairly small and we would like to to include a queen wall bed. We have other rooms for guests, so this is like in case of emergency, we just need another bed. So we don't really need more "guest quarters."

Carpet stays. It's in good condition and 5 years old. When it's time to pull out, I will match hardwoods elsewhere in the house.

Paint: It's the same color as the rest of the house. I'm indifferent to the color. I don't hate it enough to paint it, but I would never pick it.

I'm trying to figure out a layout/ built ins that would accommodate the office.

Specs:

Only one person uses the office at once. The absolute rare occasion that requires two people in the office, I am fine with incorporating an extra folding chair from the hall closet.

I have (3) 27" monitors. I use the two black ones at the same time with a computer, and the second is an IMAC. I use the IMAC 1x a week. The other screens daily. I also hook up my laptop to the 27" screens and work off of 3 screens on occasion.

We have a paper shredder and all in one printer to incorporate. I would like maybe 1 pull out filing drawer cabinet.

What would be the best way to do furniture? I want *some* storage, but I know that the more places you have to put crap... the more crap you acquire.

I've got a call out to California Closests. Is that just asking to spend excess money?

Here are photos and floor plan. We moved out of an RV and have just made due since late October. Newlyweds in our first home (that we plan to be in for a VERY long time). The only reason we would need to leave is if my DH gets transferred out of state.

Here is the panoramic.

And photos starting from the door and working to the left.

Curtains are from seller and we have standard 2" white blinds.

The parrot artwork is the first piece of art I ever bought (A commission from a local artist in my birth country). It does not need to stay, and I was eventually going to have it matted and framed.

And the layout.

I previously posted on this topic but hadn't received any feedback.

Cheers!

-L

Comments (15)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

If the mac is used once a week, and not in tandem with the other computers, maybe it could go on the wall where the parrot is. That would leave the window open for light and de-clutter the other side of the room somewhat. Not sure this Murphy/wall bed is a queen, but the way it is set up could work in your smaller room. There are lots of other styles too.

Wall Beds · More Info

Wall Beds · More Info

Wall Beds · More Info

• Lindsey B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@RL Relocation LLC

We have an interesting living situation (in-laws here 6 months out of the year and occupy 2 bedrooms with Jack and Jill bathroom in between), and then the "guest bedroom" will turn into the nursery hopefully this year. House is 4 bedrooms plus my office. Once we have more than 1 child (planning on 2), the in-laws will downsize to 1 bedroom (an may be coming more frequently for shorter trips... or may dwindle all together) and the kids will have jack-N-jill.

We do have 2 nice (elevated twin XL mattresses - not on stands, but about 20 in high). But I see no reason why we can't add another one like this: Another upside.. from reasearch im doing.. wall beds are about 2-3k...

You must think I am crazy -- but we had 6 extra house guests during thanks giving and would have had 4 more if we had enough beds!

All that being said... I REALLY like your layout... and maybe I need to realize my house is not the Marriot. I just love hosting, and don't want my guests to feel like an after thought for accommodations. I've been there... literally sleeping on a 2 inch air mattress with a leak on the living room next to a toddler's bedroom who would wake up at 4:30am and just kick the bedroom door, or bang around until the rest of the house got up. I'm too old for that. HA.

DH just scheduled California Closets to come out and see what they could do. I'll have them do the small closet as well. We don't have a need for much "hanging" stuff as my master closet is 75% empty (I'm not a clothes girl.. now my kitchen, almost all 40 cabinets are occupied. But as my husband keeps saying-- we've got to run out of things to buy!)

Thanks for the feedback!

• Lindsey B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

decoenthusiaste I saw beds like that.. and this "system"

I *think* my screens are too large to fold under the bed, but I will for sure look into the options. :D Thank you!

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Do you object to a sofa bed? You could add a foam topper to make it more comfortable, and later it can go to another location. Maybe it would fit under the window. Could the mac be wall mounted and take up less of a footprint?

• Lindsey B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don't object to a sofa bed, but I feel like it would take up way more room and be used less than the murphy bed option. I know those things are heavy, and the only other place for it is up a stair case that has a switch back.

I have California Closests coming on the 28th. I'll report back.

My mom also swung by and gave me some more layout ideas. I'll try to put them all together :D Appreciate your help!

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    I wonder how many people who ever owned a murphy bed would but one again? I know that I would not ever get another.
    Ikea has a couple different daybeds that fold out to a king or queen. Or, I'd look at a chair that folds out to a twin. Or, a really nice inflatable bed.
    God bless you for loving so many visitors. but, it's your office all the time...
  • User
    5 years ago

Hi, Lindsey...so glad to see you posting!

I second the air beds on stands...Once made up, they look very nice...not temporary at all. And I, for one, am simply happy to have a place to put my head!

So, I think you should just do your office like an office...it is YOUR place, after all.

We have a study with a closet (I believe that qualifies it to be listed as a "bedroom" in Texas, that's why they do it) so we just installed shelves in there along each side...nothing fancy and we didn't bother to get rid of the long shelf and bar so that we put it all back, as normal, very easily.

I see you really need to have some sort of desk/storage system...how about having a carpenter come in and give you a guestimate? I'm guessing it would be better than what you can buy ready made, and probably comparable in price.

• Lindsey B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oliviag... on paper it seems like the right option. Part of me leaning towards the extra nice inflatable. But, I'll see what CA Closests come up with. In the summer time, I can legitimately have extra guests sleep on our patio in our hammocks :D You are right about it's my "office" all the time.

• Lindsey B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Penny Design! Yes.. It's nice to be back. Holidays, and slammed with work.. and the the puppy + toss in getting sick. It's been BUSY!

We are starting with the office as it's a smaller room and I feel like we can complete it and give us momentum for the other rooms.

Our study is considered a bedroom too.

The closet is smaller.. here are photos.

Each side is about 20 x 22 (22 between the front and back of the closet. at the base boards)

I was thinking of trying to find drawers like this, but so far all I have found is 18" or less wide or more than 24":

A custom cabinet or would some place like lowes/home depot work? will be my next step if CA Closests is just crazy expensive. I don't really want a stand alone desk.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It's identical to ours..

Well, we just added shelves up and down the sides...we don't use this room much so it's just extra storage for us...and yes..we managed to fill it with cr@p, but it's at least a usable space now.

I added a motion detecting battery operated light for in there as it's the only closed without a light...

Very fancy chair you'll be getting, there... :)

• Lindsey B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My mom is incredible with organizing. She can take 100 sq ft of crap and make it fit into 3 cubic feet. And That is all fine and dandy.. but I HATE moving stuff to access other things!!!! HUGE pet peeve for me.

I'm also working on my mentality of "I am capable of doing everything myself" and needing to have 47 different types of craft/building supplies. I don't like paying someone to do something I feel (regardless of if I actually can/ have the tools/have the patience/have the supplies). It's a slow process. So far I am sticking with my baking/cake decorating/cooking. But giving up on the crochet, painting (artsy fartsy type stuff) and even building as I don't have a shop. I need to start paying artisans who are excellent at what they do instead of wanting something and not wanting to spend $40. haha.

I like the motion detecting battery operated light. I'll look into that. We need that in our coat closet by the front door. There is a battery powered light in there.. but we always forget to turn it off.. so it lasted like 3 weeks.

My old workplace has Herman Miller... and I would work 12-14 hours some days for weeks and my body/ back were NEVER fatigued from that chair. It was amazing. My butt was never tired... it was supportive (I use to be very overweight/obese... I'm down about 110 lbs with a ways to go--so I need something sturdy) and held up to some abuse!

• Lindsey B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alright,

I had CA closets come out. I was impressed with the overall appointment-- she came spoke with me about the rooms, showed samples, and then went in and measured everything. She asked if she could do the work here and came up with a design (though, she basically did what I told her I thought may work/ look good which is almost exactly what RL Relocation LLC said to do, but I have had a window seat with a pull out drawer for my printer (I use maybe 2x a month), and a pull out file cabient (I have about 12 inches of files and don't need much more room than that). She also added upp shelving on the window wall and then an L shape on the short wall. I'd post what she sent.. but I don't think technically I am allowed to. Cost was $5,500.

She did not include a wall bed, which see said was 3-4K alone. I was bummed, but then, I have to be realistic and know I can't afford everything I want.

She also did my small closest. Nothing wrong with her design.. but their "fully custom" options are limited to "standard" sizes, so my 23" wide closet, would only support 18"... Cost for 2x 18" x about 6ft with adujustable shelves and 1 pull out wire rack with canvas liner was just over $1,000. Nothing special about it. I am handy enough I can just put in the metal closet shelf things or even use 1x2s and boards to DIY (assuming I have the time, but I have the skill and tools). So that was a heck no!

At the end of the day, I decided against it because the backs of the cabinets were all open, and to add doors OR a backing would have costs about 1K more. At $6500 I rather just spend $1000k on two executive style desks and move on with just a boring office.

So, I took her design (which again was my + my mom's idea based on RL Relocation LLC initial suggestion... and did my own, and I am having a local hobby cabinet maker give me an estimate. Great reviews on next door, and facebook.

So here is the new "design" I am having priced. I found a cool 3 screen mount that should work.

Final cabinet measurements will have to be figured out. But just as an idea.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yeah that would hurt me to pay so much for something work related ;)

Perhaps there are other avenues, also....stock kitchen cabinets? Used office furniture? (Used Office Connection in Carrollton, I think it's called)

I guess it all depends on what this new guy comes back with...great that you have a basic plan, though...

• Lindsey B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's business related... so it's at least a write off :D

The custom cabinet maker came back to me at $6,500. But the counters would be wood, not formica. I'd have to outsource that at an additional cost. My guess is 500-1K for install of formica.

So, still need to add the mattress for the bed (costco, approx $600)

And the chair (approx $1,000)

While I think the guys work is totally worth it, 9K for my office is NOT where we wanted to be.

-----------------------------

I looked into stock kitchen cabinets, and then read the reviews and was just turned off. Then finding someone to install them.... and I just felt like I'm not making any forward progress. DH is pushing this a little faster than my speed... but I would probably be working on the folding tables for 4 years if he didn't put a little pep in my step.

---------------------------------------------

So, I found a murphy bed online with storage on both sides, it's RTA, and based on reviews people are happy with it. It's from Costco, so I am confident in the value to quality ratio.

I am planning on now partially blocking the window (from about 30 inches from the ground -- which is about 12 inches of actual window), with a large desk that DH and I can work on each side of the "L" in the rare occasion of needing to both be in there. But I am still trying to figure it out.

I'm still hunting for a desk. The murphy bed manufacturer makes complimenting pieces, but the desks are rather plain. Husband wants a more "executive" feel, and I want something a little more simple. Oh marriage compromises.

I'll check out the office place in Carrolton! Thanks for that tip!

I'll update as I go. As long as I keep the desk at 1,500, I'll stay right on my original budget. Which, trumps "pinterest dream office" right now :D

Really grateful for all the advise. Thank you!