SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shedrach

Help with Samsung Refrigerator....compressor not running

shedrach
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi. A family member contacted me last week stating that their second refrigerator (a garage unit) had stopped working and all the food had spoiled. The fridge was a "hand me down" and has only been used in the garage to store extra supplies. I suggested cleaning the condenser coils (having just gone through a similar scenario in my own home). They did that but the fridge still would not work. I went over to their house to check it out myself. It is a Samsung dual door fridge/freezer below version. The exact model number is RFG297HDRS/XAA. I had a quick look and both the fridge AND freezer were warm. There was an error code flashing on the display. The error was "5 E". I managed to find a list of Samsung error codes (for this model....as well as few diagnostic tips) and "5 E" means the refrigerator defrost sensor is faulty. I managed to track down the part online and replaced it. When plugging the unit back in the error code was no longer there...but the fridge (and freezer) would not cool down. I pressed a few buttons on the front (as described by the guide) to run a diagnostic check and no error codes came up. There was another test to FORCE the compressor to run and I tried it...and nothing happened. I pulled the back panel off and looked at the coils...not really dirty at all. The compressor fan was running...but the compressor ITSELF was dead silent and felt (to the touch) like room (or in this case garage) temperature. The compressor is evidently not starting. Leaving the unit unplugged for awhile (and then plugging back in) has no effect. I am not sure (if after replacing the sensor) the unit needs some sort of "reboot" or not. Any tips on how to proceed appreciated. If it is a relay or "start capicitor" (or something) let me know how to check that. I have a multimeter (and have repaired a few appliances myself) but have not tried to diagnose unit of this size before. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Comments (6)