SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbit54

Musty Smell in Afghan Blanket

Bobbi
5 years ago

I was recently given a handmade crocheted blanket that I snuggled under visiting my aunt when I was a youngster. It is beautifully made, in colors I love and very sentimental. Unfortunately it has a musty odor from being stored. I have soaked it and washed it twice, once in liquid and once in powdered, yet the smell remains. I have never had a problem similar to this.

Once the weather is better, I may put it outside to air out. Other than that, I am stumped.

Comments (39)

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Is it wool or synthetic?

Bobbi thanked Elizabeth
  • OklaMoni
    5 years ago

You can air it outside in cold weather as well. Like Elizabeth asked, what is it made of?

Once I got rid of nursing home smell on a small chest, by washing it with a strong solution of water and peroxide. You may try using some peroxide on a small corner, and see, if it doesn't mess the fabric up?

Moni

Bobbi thanked OklaMoni
  • Related Discussions

Wool Blanket Mulch

Q

Comments (5)
    If the blanket is in good enough condition, no matter how old, to be of value as mulch it may well still be of value covering some person that needs that wool blanket. That would be a better use than mulching, or composting, with it. If it is really too threadbare, or full of holes, to be used to cover a person and offer them some warmth it probably would be just as useless as mulch.
    ...See More

Musty smell in blanket

Q

Comments (3)
    I believe Vellux is Dacron and that does hang onto odors!! I would try, first the outside on a sunny day cure....and then if it still smelled, I would wash it in Oxy Clean. There is somethning on the fibers that makes it smell....so the trick is to get it out! Linda C
    ...See More

How to get that whole house fresh smell?

Q

Comments (40)
    I read somewhere (recently), can't recall the ssource, that you need to open your windows for only 5 minutes a day to air out a house. Hmm, if I start now, by the time I open all the windows, it will be time to start closing them. It's a sunny day, 70, not very humid. And I don't like artificial sprays,etc. I had bought Charlies soap, it's wonderful for laundryu, has a very faint coconutty odor. Reminds me of sun tan oil/sunscreen, the beach. What could be fresher?
    ...See More

how to remove nursing home smell from wood furniture

Q

Comments (32)
    Funny thread. I inherited my grandparents' burlwood Art Deco dressers about 20 years ago. Any clothing that sits in the drawers for months on end inevitably ends up smelling like my grandparents' house. The dressers are so gorgeous, and the smell so nostalgic, it never occurred to me to try to deodorize them. I keep an orange blossom/patchouli scented soap in my lingerie drawer as a sachet; I suppose one of my kids will eventually have that smell to deal with, too (unless they opt to sell the dressers).
    ...See More
  • Bobbi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I had assumed it was wool, but now that you ask, I am uncertain. Is there a test to determine which it is?

• georgysmom2
    5 years ago

Maybe soaking it in a Downy rinse?

Bobbi thanked georgysmom2
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Febreze! A miracle odor remover IMO. I've used it to successfully remove mold, mildew and all manner of unpleasant odors from fabric as well as from wood furniture that had been stored in my basement for years. I was ready to toss the furniture but thought I'd give it a spray...on a lark. It worked...and saved me a bundle of $$$ in replacement money. If there's an unpleasant odor around...this product will erase it. Also...I've found that it leaves no after aroma once the object you spray has thoroughly dried. I'm quite allergic to perfume aromas so if Fabreze left an after aroma...I wouldn't be able to use it.

Bobbi thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

Oh no, not Fabreze! While some may swear by it, it can be overwhelming for a lot of people as well as any animals you may have.

Soaking it in hot water with baking soda and/or white vinegar seems to be the wide concensus online, Borax is also something some have used to remove the musty smell.

Bobbi thanked User
  • OklaMoni
    5 years ago

polyester melts, wool is harder to get started burning.

Bobbi thanked OklaMoni
  • schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I have had a problem with Fabreeze as well the few times I've used it. The smell is overwhelming after furniture or rugs are sprayed. Maybe I spray to heavily, but the last time I had to leave the house for awhile. I was mainly trying to disguise a musty odor from my old house that can rear up during periods of wet weather.

Bobbi thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

I am not a fan of Febreze. If something smells that bad, I launder it. Or dispose of it.

Bobbi thanked Elizabeth
  • greenshoekitty
    5 years ago

I have found Febreze works well, when I have gotten something with perfume smells. I take it to a well vented area, spray heavy, let dry and then wash it. I also do not care for the Fabreze smell, but it goes away when dry .

Bobbi thanked greenshoekitty
  • User
    5 years ago

Hmmm Either my nose no longer functions or we're using different manufacturer's generation of Febreze. There is no after odor in the product I use. I'd be the first one out the door if that were the case. Perhaps I'm not applying it with the generosity that others spray. I've never sprayed my entire house. Only pieces of fabric or a single piece of furniture. Plus...my container states that it's safe around animals. Guess I've just been lucky...and now glad that I don't need it often or for massive projects.

Bobbi thanked User
  • Rusty
    5 years ago

Not sure what you mean by 'when the weather is better'. If it is raining or snowing, I understand, but if it is just cold, that would be good. I think a good fresh, cold breeze actually does a better job than warm weather.

Any sort of scented product, air freshners, fabric softeners, soaps, lotions, perfumes, etc., can cause some bad reactions for me. But I have found the Febreeze Free works very well, and doesn't cause any reaction at all! ! !

Also, you might try adding some Borax or baking soda to the wash water with your detergent. But I don't recommend hot water as that could ruin your afghan. A good soak in warm water followed by a gentle wash cycle is the way to go.

Good luck, I do hope you can save your afghan! It is a treasure, and it would be a real shame to throw it out!

Rusty

ETA: The picture Amylou posted is the one I use, and I love it!

Bobbi thanked Rusty
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

It's important to first figure out the fabric as wool and synthetics have different laundering practices. I suspect it's synthetic as wool releases odors/soils much easier. If it's synthetic it will require a longer cycle time, hot water, and more water to move around in. Synthetics do not like water... its water resistant. Hot water will help relax and open the fibers more allowing solution to flush out soils/odors. Use a good detergent and hold off on fabric softener until the odors are gone. Fabric softeners can clog up the fibers like wax and prevent a complete clean.

Bobbi thanked mamapinky0
  • User
    5 years ago

Normally, I wouldn’t advise on the hot water as well, but....if mold spores are the culprit, or even a contributor, you almost have to. The dryer heat is what ruined the first few afghans I made with acrylic yarn. Now I wash them on a gentle cycle and block them to dry.

Bobbi thanked User
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Because I have both a long haired dog and a cat, both of which are allowed on the furniture, I use the pet odor formula of Febreze (check the spelling, folks!!). And I am rather sensitive to strong, perfumy odors as well but this does not produce any that last more than a few minutes, if that. And I do routinely wash any covers or throw pillow cases or anything else removable and washable. However, my sister knitted me a gorgeous afghan/throw using her leftover yarns that is probably a mix of wool and synthetics that I only have dry cleaned. Much too delicate and valuable to get tossed in a washing machine!!

Bobbi thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • User
    5 years ago

Ooops! Thanks gardengal. :-)

Bobbi thanked User
  • lisa_fla
    5 years ago

Regular pinesol can be used in the wash. People use it for musty towels. I wonder if it’s safe for crocheted items. Maybe you call call and see if they know. I use it on pet items along with laundry detergent. The only other thing I can think of is laundry beads.

Bobbi thanked lisa_fla
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Vinegar in a presoak

Bobbi thanked Elizabeth
  • tjkeen
    5 years ago

Plain ammonia gets tough odors out of smelly work clothes. Don't know if it can be used on wool or in a top loader.

Bobbi thanked tjkeen
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Ammonia used to be commonly used on wool blankets. Many felt it made wool feel softer but what actually happened was it makes the fine wool threads break which almost gives it a softer feel.

Bobbi thanked mamapinky0
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago

If you can snip a small piece of the yarn (check the beginning, end or colour change -if there is one- for a tail that’s been woven in) you can test to see if it’s wool or acrylic.

If held over a flame wool will char and crumble and stink your house out. Acrylic will melt and shrink up with a little blob on the end.

A less smelly test is to get the kind of bleach that’s thickened for cleaning bathrooms etc and drop a piece of yarn in. Wool will immediately start to lose its colour and in a day or so completely disappear. Acrylic will be unaffected, months later.

Do not wash wool in hot water as it will shrink like crazy and felt up.

Bobbi thanked colleenoz
  • tjkeen
    5 years ago

Thanks, then ammonia is out for that.

Bobbi thanked tjkeen
  • dadoes
    5 years ago

Regards to washing synthetics in HOT water ... such fabrics should be cooled before spinning to avoid setting wrinkles or creases (permanently or temporarily until the next washing). I suppose a crocheted afghan is much less likely to show such effects than wearable garments.

Permanent Press washer cycles back when said fabrics (synthetics and treated cottons) were new washed in hot water (or warm for light soil) but there was a cool down process before the first spin (Whirlpool and Kenmore, and some Maytags) or a long cold spray immediately when spin started (most other brands). Majority of washers nowadays have gotten away from cool downs what with the pushing of low-temp washing but dryers still have cool down periods at the end of the cycle.

Bobbi thanked dadoes
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Good advice Dadoes.

Yes turn your spin speed down.

Bobbi thanked mamapinky0
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Yep wool has special washing requirements but the most important is no enzymes, rinse temp should be same as wash temp, and movement should be almost zero. A designated wool cycle is great because even gentle cycle can be too much movement.

Bobbi thanked mamapinky0
  • Ali
    5 years ago

I often add ammonia for rugged clothing. Does anyone know if it is okay to use in a top loader? I don't have one but often use one when I am house sitting.

Bobbi thanked Ali
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Ali sure you can use ammonia in a top loader.

Bobbi thanked mamapinky0
  • karrilouwho
    5 years ago

You could try putting it in the dryer with woolen dryer balls (or tennis balls) that have been treated with a few drops of essential oil ( I use lavender). You could use an air only cycle if you don't want to dry with heat.

Bobbi thanked karrilouwho
  • quasifish
    5 years ago

Most of the wool yarn I've worked with has that wet dog smell when it's wet :^)

I had something a few years ago (but am very tired this morning and can't remember what it was) that I could not remove an unpleasant smell from. I sprinkled it liberally with baking soda, folded it, and bagged it up for a few days, and then washed as normal. Smell came out with that, as I recall.

Bobbi thanked quasifish
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Why not try getting it dry cleaned?

Bobbi thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

I've had the best luck getting rid of odors by hanging the item outside for a day or two. I have a beautiful quilt that was musty smelling after being stored in an old trunk. I laundered it twice and it still smelled musty. As a last resort, I hung it outside overnight and there was no trace of odor the next morning. My experience has been that this works best on natural fabrics, but it certainly won't hurt to try it.

Bobbi thanked DawnInCal
  • Cavimum
    5 years ago

Years ago, I bought some yardage of quilters cotton that had a musty odor. Vendor was from mildewy Gulf Coast area, I needed this fabric to finish the project, so I did not return it.

I took a chance with filling up our top load washer with hot water, adding one fourth or a half cup of liquid chlorine bleach (no detergent), mixed it well, added the fabric, and let it sit to soak for hours until it cooled. In the end, the odor was gone and I was very relieved.

if the afghan is acrylic yarn, it should survive LCB.

Bobbi thanked Cavimum
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Dry cleaning gives off an awful odor which would require extensive airing out, outdoors. I might air it out on a clothesline several days in a row and then pre-soak with vinegar. Followed by a regular wash and dry. ( If it is acrylic )

Bobbi thanked Elizabeth
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Cavimum and Elizabeth are both highly educated in special laundry practices...I'd consider their advice.

Bobbi thanked mamapinky0
  • OklaMoni
    5 years ago

I wonder, why Bobbi hasn't come back to tell us what she found out.. wool or synthetic, and also, what she did.

Bobbi thanked OklaMoni
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

A good dry cleaning establishment will present clothes (and any other dry cleaned items) with NO smell at all. If your clothes smell after dry cleaning, you need to find a better place!

Bobbi thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Bobbi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OklaMoni, I haven't been back because my dh came down with a virus and has been running me ragged. This man remains calm in a crisis, yet a minor wound or illness sends him into a tail spin. I have told him should he ever have a serous illness, he's going into a nursing home. OY

The only thing I have done is the singe test, which indicates it is synthetic. In my OP I omitted that the presoak had vinegar. I used about 1 cup in enough water to submerge the blanket completely.

• User
    5 years ago

Before I did any more washing, I would just place the afghan over a wood drying rack outside on a sunny day. It can be cold, you just don't want cloudy or any rain. You will have to fold in half lengthwise and place over the top and out to both sides. Bring in when the sun goes down and leave on rack to keep airing in the house. Sunlight kills mold spoors, if that is what it is. You may have an old mothball smell. Mothballs smell musty to me and the sun and fresh air will also remove that.

I wouldn't add any more chemicals to the mix. I think it just needs to air out a time or two. If that doesn't work, you can always go further. I have the acrylic afghans just like yours from the same time period.