SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Your Everyday Flatware?

artemis_ma
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

When my parents divested themselves of their good china, I got theirs, and my brother got their good real silverware. I don't have real silverware that is really silver - other than a set of tiny spoons that belonged to one of Mother's great aunts at one point. They're a collector's item, complete with embossed initials, not something I'd ever use.

Somewhere mid-90s my parents gave me a nice set of flatware, but over the years a number of pieces went missing. No idea! So... last spring when folks in one of the forums here (I think this one!) were talking about Made in USA flatware, I decided to order a set.

This is Pinehurst, from Libertytabletop. Sturdy, looks great in my informal log home, and from the only company, apparently, that still manufactures flatware in the US.

I got a set of 45 pieces, (8 person setting with a few serving utensils.)

What are others using as flatware?

PS: about twenty five or thirty years ago, friends of mine who'd go camping with me came up with the term "mutantware" to describe the stuff we'd bring to camp, as we didn't care if any went missing there. This would be flatware that didn't remotely form a complete set. I have LOADS of mutantware these days, for camping or if I have a whole bundle of guests and we aren't formal.

Anyhow, do share your flatware! (Or, fancy silverware, if you have.)

Comments (38)

• sas95
    5 years ago

Artemis, I have the same flatware! I wanted made in the USA, too, and picked the same pattern.

artemis_ma thanked sas95
  • Fun2BHere
    5 years ago

I use an unknown Reed & Barton stainless pattern. I have a set for 24. It works great when we have big dinners or parties. When I want to use sterling, I have Reed & Barton Francis I. It's not a pattern I would have chosen, but it's pretty.

artemis_ma thanked Fun2BHere
  • Related Discussions

This table is for Betty!

Q

Comments (18)
    Jaybird--if you look out the door, the sky will probably be rosy--that's from the blush on my face over all those sweet compliments! Lynn, I really like that tablecloth for the fall colors, but mostly because it has ACORNS on it too! LOL If I'd had some pretty gold or brownish looking chargers, I would have used those instead of the round placemats--but I think they worked okay. Tammy, I sure hope you are able to find some of those plates too. They are such pretty colors. I think we came to the conclusion that they are mostly in the East Coast stores for some reason. Thanks Kathleen and Luckygal, I'm glad you liked it. Did anyone read my question about how you would have made a centerpiece using the little lantern? I'm still pondering it. Luvs
    ...See More

pictures of KitchenAid 3rd rack??

Q

Comments (10)
    I have a KA dishwasher with the 3rd rack. It is a nice and convenient feature to have BUT it is not always the most practical. Not all of my cutlery fits into it. In fact, I usually use the cutlery holders on the bottom rack, and use the 3rd rack for extra or oddly shaped pieces. But they can't protrude too high, or the rack won't close. The 3rd rack on the Miele, by comparison, can easily fit all shapes and sizes of cutlery. (i am not suggesting you purchase the miele, just using it as a DW comparison where the 3rd rack is more functional). I selected the KA model based on other criteria, and the 3rd rack was just a bonus. If you are considering spending extra just to have the extra rack, my opinion is that it is not worth the money.
    ...See More

Show me where you store your everyday dishes.

Q

Comments (23)
    We have 2 5' long reclaimed shelves that store our everyday plates, bowls, coffe cups (though my 8 week nursling disagrees with caffeine), little plates (need more of these), and canister set I use often. Love the easy access to get and put away: My almost 4 year old has her own drawer close to the floor. She gets and puts away her own "dishes" Finally we use these glasses on a daily basis for our brita: Love how easy it is to access everything. Our open shelves do at times look a bit barren when both dish drawers are full.
    ...See More

your everyday dishes

Q

Comments (25)
    My every day dishes are many different patterns. I live alone and love love love dishes so I have pink cabbage leaf shaped plates, Mary Engelbert white with black rim with red cherry design; pine cone pattern dinner plates, amber sandwich glass dinner plates, hull brown dip pattern set with many many serving pieces. Also have two sets of soup/cereal restaurant dishes from shenango china. I could go on but I guess you get the idea. Im a dishaholic. Because I live alone I don't have a full set of everyday dishes- - - mostly just dinner plates or luncheon size plates. I do have three full sets for when I need them.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

Ah, Artemis, you beat me to it! I was taking one item at a time! LOL! Glad you started this thread!

artemis_ma thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

Mine is my $25 sterling -- Alvin Romantique

There is also a "chased" pattern with pattern in the sides but I like the plain. It's 1933 so fits well with my 20s house.

$25 because that's how much it cost at a country auction. It was in a Russell Stover candy box and the knives were on top and the knife BLADE said "stainless" so no one read the back and the sterling I guess -- well maybe one otherwise they would have been my $5 sterling! LOL! I kept them and because of the name "Romantique" would use them for Valentine's and stainless for everyday and heck, I figured you only live once so I use them daily. . . and there is something nice about eating with sterling!

If I were picking out everyday would I have chosen these given an unlimited choice and price was no object, no! But I do like them and I do like their simplicity.

artemis_ma thanked User
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I am not delighted with my every day flatware, it has not worn well. I have black Laguiole-style from Wms Sonoma. I used to have them at the lake, and then an ivory set at my main house. The Ivory ones wore terribly and I threw them out. Now I use the black ones every day at my main house.

In Maine I have a trove of mismached hotel silver that came w the house and I love.

I like these if i decide to replace my black Laguiole.

artemis_ma thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • LynnNM
    5 years ago

This is my everyday flatware. I've had it for many years now and can't recall the pattern name. Probably something like Concho, as it's styled to resemble them. They work well with most of my dinnerware, though, and beautifully with my Espana (pictured below).

artemis_ma thanked LynnNM
  • gsciencechick
    5 years ago

For everyday and for my fine china: Oneida Frost. I think it is discontinued but it is a very nice, sleek modern look. The handles have a matte satin finish to them. I have the completer set, and additional tall tea spoons and steak knives. Great set, and I highly recommend.

My mother had sterling for 12, but my sister has it.

artemis_ma thanked gsciencechick
  • deeinohio
    5 years ago

I use Oneida Paul Revere. My brother bought it for my wedding 46 years ago when I was just a 20-year bride . Even though, I’m sure all the original pieces are long gone, I periodically buy replacements. I would love to buy Liberty, which has been on my radar for a few years, but I still always think of my brother when using it, so I doubt I will. He, though, DID buy Liberty for his new lake place last year.

artemis_ma thanked deeinohio
  • User
    5 years ago

I’ve never wanted the fuss of sterling silver. Several years ago I found a set of flatware at Costco that I fell in love with. It isn’t cheap or flimsy, the pieces have a good weight to them in my hand and they wash beautifully. It’s been so long ago that I don’t recall the maker, but I want to say GS. They still look brand new. They’re similar in style to these made by Towle but nicer.

artemis_ma thanked User
  • rosesstink
    5 years ago

I have silver. Silver from grandma on mom's side. Silver ranging through hundreds of years on my dad's side. I've got silver. Not a single oyster fork among them. ;-) Basic services. My everyday is from Oneida. Don't recall the pattern name.

artemis_ma thanked rosesstink
  • Funkyart
    5 years ago

About a year ago, I got tired of the mixed bag of the remains of about 3, maybe 4 sets. I thought I wanted a bamboo design but I didn't find one I liked.. I ended up with Ricci Bramasole.

I like it a lot but it is heavier than average.

artemis_ma thanked Funkyart
  • User
    5 years ago

Oh, when I say $25 that wasn't per place setting -- that was for a service for 8 -- knives, butter knives, oyster forks (for a farm family?), salad forks, dinner forks, spoons and soup spoons plus a master butter knife.

artemis_ma thanked User
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I have had this Gotham Nouveau stainless since the late 70’s I think. It is discontinued of course but still available through replacements and eBay occasionally. I have picked up a few random soup spoons and an extra serving spoon over the years but won’t be buying them at the prices demanded today. Someone is selling a 5-pc place setting for $89.99 on eBay and there is a fork for $29.99!

artemis_ma thanked OutsidePlaying
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

When my mom died, I gave her sterling to my SIL, since she entertains a lot and I never do. We always used sterling at the table, every day, when I lived at home. And it went into the DW every day, too.

I myself have Oneida Belmont Lyons stainless for both everyday and fancy occasions, which I got for $1.86 a setting at Publix, back when Mr. Publix was still alive and they still did those kinds of promotions. It's good heavy stuff and I'm satisfied:

artemis_ma thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • Sueb20
    5 years ago

I’ve been thinking about new flatware for a while. Whatever I have now is fine...I think I got it at Home Goods? I just like the look of colored handles. I love the look of Laguoile but have seen a lot of negative reviews in addition to Mtn’s above. I saw these at a local store and have been thinking about going back to look again.

Looks very similar to what you posted, Mtn. Is it the same brand?

artemis_ma thanked Sueb20
  • User
    5 years ago

Oneida Illuma. It was inexpensive but is a nice weight, very sturdy, and has held up beautifully for a few years now. We're pretty casual, so this goes fine with our stoneware dishes.

artemis_ma thanked User
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

SueB, I do like that look, I consider them timeless and I also think you can dress it up or down. As far as brand, both sets were bought at WmsS prob about 10yrs ago. I think they were Laguiole but I think that Laguiole (sp?) has ,or used to have, a lot of price points and some of their stuff is junk. Or maybe they were look alikes, not really sure.

Funky, love your set. Very nice.

PS Sue, I bought some Sabre serving pieces from Didrik's, the colorful plastic (?) ones in very traditional shapes? It looks like that is where you are looking at flatware. I like a lot of their stuff.

artemis_ma thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • lascatx
    5 years ago

Outside, I have that same pattern. But I didn't get enough place settings and didn't know when it was being discontinued to even consider getting more. Now I have another pattern -- Gorham Monet.

artemis_ma thanked lascatx
  • Sueb20
    5 years ago

Mtn -- yes, Didriks is where I saw them!

artemis_ma thanked Sueb20
  • gsciencechick
    5 years ago

IdaClaire, I like the hammered finish of your Oneida!

I was trying to think of what I had before this at my previous house. I had flatware with white handles and those did not hold up well either.

artemis_ma thanked gsciencechick
  • artemis_ma
    Original Author
    5 years ago

IdaClaire, that looks similar to the Pinehurst I have. They've really grown on me, this hammered look, very different than the sort of scroll-y handles my previous sets had. (Which I liked, as well, but going different suited my mood especially as they really work in my informal log home.)

In fact, since I have a set of 8 place settings (and nothing has gone missing... YET), I'm considering ordering another set of 4 place settings, to bring this to 12.

I'm also considering getting one of their steak knife sets, and I wouldn't need a total of 12... I can't picture serving steak for twelve people, maybe four or six.

• artemis_ma
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Outside Playing, I think I have one or two pieces of "mutantware" that look like your pattern. I'll look later today or tomorrow. If so, you can have them gratis. (If I do have them, they're probably not going to be "shiny" anymore.)

• User
    5 years ago

This is mine from Wallace. I’m way over the look but it’s a large set and is wearing well. I’d like to get something else eventually.

I think it’s more attractive irl.

Funky I really that!

I’ve always liked that style Mtn but was concerned how They would wear overtime.

artemis_ma thanked User
  • dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

We have stainless Reed & Barton Austin Bee by Thomas O'Brien. We found the first ones in an outlet store and didn't realize immediately that they were being discontinued. We returned and bought everything we could including some plain Austin pieces and then we also found some online. We love the bee cartouche on the handle and the nice balance and feel of this flatware.

Before this we had a navy blue handled set from WS, but the metal joints corroded on some pieces over time. Probably would have been okay if I hadn't started using a dishwasher, but ... well ... dishwasher.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

lascatx - We have Gorham Monet Frosted at our vacation place - 3 sets of 8. I wasn't sure at first about the frosted but I really love it.

We recently bought Liberty flatware for our primary home, it's not my favorite but DH liked it. I'm looking for something else and then I'll give this to DD.

• theclose
    5 years ago

We use sterling flatware daily. I inherited 8 place settings of Gorham Willow, which I don’t love but it is innocuous enough that I don’t mind it. My mother gifted me 6 place forks and a couple of serving pieces of Tiffany Wave Edge, which I love. My uncle found them at estate sales and my mother knew I’d appreciate and use them. I’d love to eventually have a complete set of Wave Edge but that’s far off! Our children currently use Gorham Rondo youth sets. They used their baby sets since they used utensils until about 4 or 5 when I got the youth sets for them. I also have a set of old USSR silverplate that I purchased in Romania. I love it for the history (it is stamped CCCP in the back) and I still like the pattern, so we keep that in the drawer as well. I put all the sterling in the dishwasher so it isn’t high maintenance. We do polish it a couple of times a year if having guests and there is visible tarnish (usually from eggs). I am in the “use it if you have it!” camp.

Gorham Willow

Tiffany Wave Edge

Gorham Rondo

artemis_ma thanked theclose
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

love those, dragonfly! we have glasses with bees

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

BTW hope y'all are happy. I have a Wms Sonoma gift card sitting in my purse and now I'ma goin' shopping.

• lascatx
    5 years ago

I have never seen the flatware with the bees before! Glasses, dishes, linens, but never flatware.

Marie_cate, I have a similar amount of the Monet after 12 place settings not being enough of the Nouveau. I started out thinking I would just get some additional place settings for the times we needed them and found 4 pl setting set of the Monet at HomeGoods. When I verified my suspicion that it was a discontinued pattern, I set to work and found more. I think I also have 24 pl setting and I got iced tea spoons, serving pieces, extra teaspoons and even cocktail forks. I knew I had one chance, so I loaded up. LOL

Does anyone here have Reed & Barton stainless pattern with a shell at the end of the handle? That was my mom & dad's stainless and my youngest son has it now. I don't know the pattern name.

• Joaniepoanie
    5 years ago

My everyday....Oneida Pacific Tide. Wow...now that I'm taking pictures of it I see how scratched it is. It is about 25 years old. We bought on vacation at an Oneida outlet but I can't remember where. Time for new!

I have silverplate from our wedding registry. It says Rogers 1881 and Oneida on the back. I can't remember the pattern. Wouldn't pick this out today and we seldom use it anymore....boy, it's scratched up too.

It's fun to see all the different patterns.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Artemis, that is very kind of you! If you have any, I would be happy to have it if you don’t need it. And also am happy to pay any postage or whatever you think is fair. You can message me.

I often use a mix of my sterling and stainless for family if we have a crowd. Have service for 12 at least of both. I have more than 12 pieces of some pieces like forks and I don’t remember why, except I bought random pieces along the way. The sterling was my mother’s and she had some extra pieces tooI think.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

Lascatx - You were smart to seek out the extra pieces. I bought 2 sets of the Monet frosted at Home Goods and then happened upon another set at Boscov's a year later. By that time I realized that it was discontinued. I'm amazed at how well they look after all these years.

I

• LynnNM
    5 years ago

Mtn, your comment about your Williams Sonoma gift card brought back a happy funny memory. One year for Christmas, we received a very significant gift card from DH’s then partner to WS. Honestly, it was akin to locking two kids in a candy store! We planned an entire Saturday evening around it and had such fun spending that gift card! I hope you, too, have fun using yours!

• User
    5 years ago

Rosesstink, I would love to see some of your silver...How fortunate you are to have inherited so much, I'm green with envy.

Such a fun thread! I have some Laigoule (can say it, can't spell it without help!) steak knives, but they're not the original...But I do adore a bee..

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

WMF Artisan stainless.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    5 years ago

Eventually I will get something more updated but I'm not entertaining right now and have Oneida Louisiana made in USA only because it went with my mothers Old Master Sterling. I have a variety of other sets casual dressy hammered what not but nothing I love.

I love things made out of horn and also hotel Silver.

• jill302
    5 years ago

Oneida Dover. Love it, like my Desert Rose dishes this is home to me. My grandmother had this same pattern, not sure what happened to her flatware I did not inherit. But I do have her dishes.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz