SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnny_outdoors

House with 4 kids

johnny_outdoors
5 years ago

Help me out here, I know this has been asked a bunch. We have a 9 year old and twin 6 year olds, we will not be starting building for about a year, so both will be about 2 years older by the time we move in.l, as well as the last one due next summer. We have been back and fourth on a ranch or 2 story. End of day we want a main floor master and a extra bedroom on main floor for the little one while its young, and either an upstairs, bedrooms in the basement for the others, or maybe an extra room on the main floor? I understand it may be weird to have kids in the basement, but I plan on living here quite a while, ideally forever but cant guarantee that, and just feel sorta stuck to have the upstairs for the other 3 that are going to be around 8-10 years then hopefully off to college. Anyone else with 3-4 kids have input? I feel like cost wise the ranch works a bit better since we would finish basement in a 2 story anyway and want basically the same floor plan on main whether it has upstairs or not, and could possibly add a hearth area/second main floor seating area by cutting this cost? I know there isnt a one size fits all house, just trying to blend the now and the future best we can.

Comments (24)