SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galprins

window treatment for bay window

galprins
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm trying to figure out if there is a fairly simple plan for gaining some privacy at night with this street view window in my dining room. Our house is on a sloped lot with the sidewalk lower than the front of the house, so even if the windows are covered only on the bottom half, we will have enough privacy. I also want the ability to let the natural light in. The window in the center does not open, but the two smaller side windows do open, so I would also want that to still be possible with whatever window covering we go with. The material between the windows is all vinyl--no drywall or wood framing to screw into. I made notes on the second photo to show where drywall is and where the vinyl is. And there isn't a way that I can see to use tension rods because of the way that the windows abut one another.

The previous owner of the home had a curtain rod that was mounted on drywall on the outside of the window that went straight across and enclosed the entire window so that it looked like a flat window from inside the room when the drapes were closed. I didn't love that look, especially when the drapes were pulled back, but it would be a simple solution. I have also considered a window film like this, applied only to lower half of the windows: https://www.wallpops.com/334-0034-charis-premium-window-film Thank you for any thoughts on this!

Comments (10)