SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

The New Normal (here's 15 characters*)

laceyvail 6A, WV
5 years ago

When I moved to this area 45 years ago, it was zone 5. In fact, the coldest temps I've ever experienced were Christmas Eve 1983--fell to 30 below, and winter days for weeks on end would never get much above the teens and night temps well below zero.

So now it's Jan 1, 2019 and it's so warm that I haven't had a fire in two days (I heat with wood), last night it was over 50. Snowdrops are in bud all over the yard, and other bulbs are pushing up. It's been like this the last few years. Some years we're almost zone 7, and we're pretty much always zone 6. Of course, the ups and downs of crazy climate include spring coming much too early for these mountains--last February we had almost 2 weeks of temps in the 70s before it got quite cold again. I lost a lot of shrubs, most mourned a bear berry, Arctostaphyllos uva-ursi, that was almost 20 feet across. Some of it survived but the whole thing looks so dreadful even after a full season that I'm contemplating removing what's left. I'm almost 74 and it won't recover in my lifetime.

Happy New Year anyway.

*Why the hell does Houzz need the title to have 15 characters?

Comments (8)