SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjwtexas

Flood 1, Flood 2, Almost Restored, December 2018 (a Christmas Miracle)

TJW
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I think I'll just let the pictures do most of the talking. It's been 3 years, 6 months, 1 week, and 2 days since the house has been 'normal.' There are still a few things . . . some touch-up, some trim, a deadbolt, blinds for upstairs, and organizing the kitchen (another weekend), but finally, pretty much done. You learn what you really need (me: walls, floors, and one functional bathroom ~ DH: coffee pot and TV) when you lose almost everything . . . twice. You also learn a lot about yourself and your life. It's actually a really good experience to realize 'we have (had) WAY too much stuff. A conversation we had while enjoying a glass of vino in our living room, relaxing in our lawn chairs, realizing that maybe, just maybe, we liked the 'minimalist' look we had going, and perhaps we didn't really want to refill the house with lots of "stuff". Also, 2 metro shelves on wheels ( $$$ at Container Store but super sweet when loaned by a restaurant owner friend) and a couple of folding tables make a GREAT substitute for cabinets and counters. I was *almost* sad to see them come down last week. Also, when one comes home and finds one's kitchen sink in the middle of the family room, a little ingenuity and a few 2x4's can make an awesome holder for said kitchen sink! Anyway, there are still details and a few repairs . . . one of the plumber's young helpers did an OOPS and we have a leak upstairs that resulted in a new hole in the living room ceiling (isn't it always something!? : )), but we are pretty close. It has been so long since this looked like a real house, it feels surreal, but like everything else, I'm pretty sure we'll get used to it. Hope everyone has a very happy 2019!

It appears that I can only upload 5 photos at a time, so the first 5 are Pre-Flood 1. The rest follow in sequence. I don't have photos of everything, or all the stages, but here is the beginning, the middle and now. Or not. Photos stopped uploading. Not sure how to correct. I add photos (several, or even just one at a time), click 'SUBMIT' and the submit button fades out, and the screen freezes. Sigh.

Comments (3)