SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

Voluptuous, perfumed and procumbent.

I have found a spot where I can plant another rose. It is on a higher level than the main part of the garden so it cannot be upright or I will be looking at it's canes and the underside of the blooms. I remember that Hoovb had some planted on each side of some steps, that hung down beguilingly, but I cannot find the post.

It must be small, only 3 feet or less and it will be with these plants, behind and to one side of the nepeta, so probably not lilac pink.

Any ideas?

Daisy

Comments (79)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    5 years ago

If you're looking at polyanthas, may I suggest Aunt Margy's Rose? I've had this for about three years in a pot, morning sun, afternoon shade. Prolific bloomer even in 100 degree heat (zone 9a). Not as lilac as in the picture - more light pink. . Not sure about its fragrance, though.

Also, my pal Rockwall Sesquicentennial from ARE - that one is fragrant. Light pink, white in the heat. Has stayed in a pot for years too. No bigger than 2' high, but very drapy. Rockwall is one of their Pioneer roses - does well in hot and dry conditions. Bigger blooms than Aunt Margy's, on thin, nodding stems. I'll post a picture of her in a bit.

I just realized neither of these are Austins, however my bad. If Austins are a must, then Tamora, Tamora, Tamora. So fragrant, so pretty, so free-blooming, and never over 3'6" or so - even at my old house, which was in 10A. DA may be planning to shelve Tamora, so this might be a good time to buy her.

TAMORA. Photo taken on a very hot day in July.

AUNT MARGY'S ROSE

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Sylvia, I'm not sure they have to be Austin's, they just have to be available from the David Austin UK site. I was also going to suggest Aunt Margie's Rose but I couldn't find a synonym for it since it seems to be just a found Rose. Are you in California? Just asking because I've also been considering it. Not to go off topic or anything! Lol! :-)

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Related Discussions

rose perfume?

Q

Comments (10)
    Crabtree & Evelyn also has a line called Rosewater that is quite good. I think it has a more true rose scent than Evelyn, which I have used. I agree that a lot of rose scented perfumes don't always smell very good or even anything like a real rose. Way back in the 1970s, Houbigant had a perfume called Rose is Rose (or something like that) which I wore. It was fabulous, and when I had it on, I was often complimented on the scent and asked about it. A year or two after it came out, it disappeared from the market. Recently I tracked it down on the internet, and there are a couple of sellers who have a bottle--for about $300! It must really have deteriorated by now, and I can't imagine anyone buying it at that price. Diane
    ...See More

HD Body Bag Alert

Q

Comments (27)
    I thought about Trospero's comments a couple of days. My thoughts are that he is absolutely right about voting with our wallets. But..... I recognize that not everyone who loves roses has the funds to mail order only the best. Some have to love what they can afford and buy locally. I thought it was better to know they are in the stores earlier rather than find them later. If we all choose not to buy roses from places like Home Depot, does that tell HD that the public does not want roses? How do we tell them we want better roses if we just stop buying and don't actually voice our thoughts to the buyer (for the store not customers) Maybe the better thing to do is to email the stores with what we want and why we don't want what they are offering. If growers have no market for the lesser plants and have to discard, does that raise costs so high that the already reduced numbers of companies have to eat costs, raise prices and reduce the varieties offered? The great irony in this, I have an order list that I printed out from a specialty supplier (out of state) Beyond the cost my big reason for not having hit submit on the order: The comments they send out too small and often mislabeled plants (no idea on the virus infected but one has to suspect that is probable on many just because of the use of Dr Huey).
    ...See More

Best roses in the Carolinas?

Q

Comments (10)
    Wow, thanks, everyone, for your ideas. I'm fairly new to roses, so most of the ones you named are unfamiliar. I am making my list for rose shopping next spring and I will certainly look for the ones you mentioned. aisgecko, 'Fairy' sounds like a real winner. I have a partly shady spot where I will try that one. Hadn't thought of putting a rose in that spot, but what a marvelous idea. Most of my garden area is full sun almost of the day. 'New Dawn' is one that I had considered, but it was gone when I went back to the nursery. Will try to catch it next year. carla17, how do you manage that many roses? You must prune all day! Those beetles are nasty, aren't they? They were all over my sunflowers last year, too! Wonder if sevin dust will help. I looked at the roses forum, but it was a bit over my head! Felt a little intimidated, but I suppose 'rookies' are accepted. Noisettes sound nice. I will 'google' to see what comes up or ask some of the 'rose forum' folks where to find them. YOu can see that I am pretty much hung up with J&P! alicia7b, 'Radiance' sounds like a good one...fragrance near the patio door is always welcome! I will certainly look that one up and see what color it is. Thanks for the great ideas. It's great to be back in the South with so many friendly helpful people!
    ...See More

Best performers 2015

Q

Comments (29)
    Most of my old roses were neglected for a few years for various reasons and I had to repot all of them. they are just now beginning to recuperate and bloom. A few of my Breck's Sale Roses have been outstanding: All Ablaze all of these next ones have never been without blooms. In the Mood In the Mood buds in front of my new favorite yellow, Summer LoveSummer Love. Every bud has taken my breathe away. Pink Home Run. I have been so impressed with this one. I wish you could have seen it before the storm knocked almost all the blooms off Tropicana: I used to have it and was so glad to receive it in the collection Veteran's Honor: New to me this year, slower rebloom than the others, but worth waiting for. Veteran's Honor. Need I say more.
    ...See More
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    5 years ago

Daisy said "something from David Austin UK" -- not necessarily one of his roses, but a rose sold by that nursery. She is adding to an order with them.

:-)

~Christopher

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well! I am so annoyed. You have all given me so many good ideas for naught.

First of all I find that Bishops Castle is dropped, then Flowersaremusic suggests Mary Magdalene, which is exactly the right colour, shape and perfume. No. Dropped.

Okay, so Tamora will work. No. Dropped.

Okay, Ambridge rose is in the right spectrum of colour. No. Dropped.

Sweet Juliet is also the right colour, but DA UK list it as being four and a half feet tall.

Anne Boleyn is also the right colour, but DA lists it's perfume as light, which means I will not be able to smell it.You have also given me other ideas, some I already have like Jubilee Celebration and some are lovely roses, like Baby Alberic, Little White Pet etc, but I have in mind something more voluptuous, lots of perfume and in the colour range of Mary Magdalene.

I am so annoyed I tried telephoning D A Roses, but of course there is no one there except an answerphone at this time. The funeral is on 4th Jan, so I will not be able to reach someone until after that. I will try again. To my way of thinking, if they drop a rose like Mary Mag, they must have a better replacement! But then, I was always a little naive.

Marlorena, I have to plant in the winter here. I need the rain to get every new plant established.

Daisy in a huff

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    5 years ago

If it is any consolation, 'Bishop's Castle' would probably be too large for your space. Mine grow to about 6 feet wide. You could prune them hard, but I suspect they would try to grow back to their desired size before blooming much, and pruning would ruin their form. HoovB has another rose in a similar spot and similar form, called 'Petal Pushers' but it's not an Austin or available at Austin roses, and it is not fragrant. I don't think any of the full flowered Austin roses are truly procumbent. The Austin UK website lists only one rose as a groundcover rose, 'Rushing Stream' and it is single. On the other hand, other roses might be small enough or have a spreading form. Others have mentioned their favorites and you have discovered a number have been unfortunately discontinued. In my garden, 'Boscobel' would be small enough that you wouldn't be looking up at a thorn thicket with it in that raised bed. My most spreading type is 'William Shakespeare 2000' which in my garden grows to about 2 feet tall and spreads out 3-4 feet. It is voluptuously flowered and sinfully fragrant. In my garden 'Munstead Wood' also has a spreading form, but not quite as much as WS2K. Another option is planting a second of one that you already have, that has the form you want, i.e. if Jubilee Celebration would work. You might not get exactly what your mind's eye created, but it might be something equally lovely.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Why oh why do they discontinue so many gorgeous roses ? How frustrating Daisey. I really wanted Mary Magdaline but it is not to be.

I sure like the sound of William Shakespeare 2000. Maybe I will get that one myself.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have another idea for you: the David Austin rose called Janet. I have had it in the ground for a year, and I've been so impressed by the incredible, voluptuous flowers that are beautifully scented. And it has been in almost constant bloom, including all through the late fall! In fact, there's probably a bud on it now.

The "negatives" about Janet are that she has weak necks and a more sprawling habit. But that's exactly what you need in your situation.

The flowers on Janet are huge and stunningly beautiful. I wish I had a picture, but I didn't take any since she was so new. I figure they will get even better over time. Also, they are hard to photograph due to the weak necks. I'm growing it as a short, bushy climber on a teepee.

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/janet

• bettenoire
    5 years ago

My William Morris tends to flop. I was going to prune it hard this month to see if it gave him a little more structure.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Daisy, if I had known the roses I suggested were out of commerce, I would not have suggested them. I feel bad about that.

You might find a local nursery that has Mary Mag in a band.

Also, if it is off patent, I would be happy to send you some cuttings. My MM isn't very old, but I bet she has some viable canes.

Noseometer's suggestion of putting another kind of rose in that spot and using your DA rose somewhere else sounds like a plan. In that case, some of the non DA suggestions above might work.

As a last thought, my Wm Shakespeare 2K also stays low and wide, as noseometer mentioned. I'd forgotten about that one.

Again, I'm so sorry I posted all discontinued roses.

• User
    5 years ago

It's been a pleasure certainly for me, to see these beautiful roses, regardless of whether they're still available here... these are not Austins I hear about too much, and some are available elsewhere in Europe... Ambridge and Tamora for instance.. Tuincentrum Lottum in Holland carries quite a few old Austins… and I expect Mary Magdalene is available there somewhere in the E.U... it's a huge Single Market we have access to, so it's not always a problem if they're not available in England... although in this case Daisy was ordering direct from Austin..

It'll be interesting to see which 3 roses Austins remove this coming Spring, to make way for the newer varieties... they've already removed them from their display gardens but didn't say which they were [they sent me an email]… sometimes I find it quite amusing to note how hastily some roses just 'disappear'...

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    5 years ago

Vaporvac, I am indeed in CA. Santa Clarita.

Here's my Rockwall. Why don't more people grow this rose? It's terrific IMO.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Flowers, never be sorry for posting your gorgeous photos of roses. It was a pleasure to see them, and you introduced me to the lovely watercolor look of Mary Magdalene. I didn't know Tamora was discontinued--I thought I saw it on the DA US website.

Sylvia, tell us more about Rockwall--it's new to me. It's another lovely one with a bit of subtle color.

Daisy, I think Eglantyne is still being sold by DA, but in your climate it might grow too large. It fits the voluptuous and perfumed part of the description, though. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Original Author
    5 years ago

Flowers, don't you dare feel sorry that you suggested these roses to me. The wonderful photos you posted are to die for. If DA Roses is so shortsighted as to drop these wonderful roses, without warning, it is certainly not your fault. They will never have wonderful, classic roses that people will still be planting in 200 years time, with their current business practice. All they will do, is make potential customers so annoyed that they will turn away from DA to other rose growers. Your post showed me just what I was looking for. It was as though you read my mind. In fact everybody has given some wonderful suggestions and I am very grateful for them.

I have just been out to look at the site again and what will work there is limited. It has to be a bush rose of no more than three and a half feet high and wide, with a lax habit. It is on a higher bank above a dry stone wall. When I stand next to it, my head is just above the wall and I had a thought of a romantic, perfumed, full petalled rose planted there that would greet me every time I walked there.

I already have Boscobel and Will Shakespeare 2000 and I grew William Morris in Cornwall where it grew over my pergola.

I do like the look of Janet. However, DA website describe her as 4 feet tall and having a light, medium scent. They also describe her, on the same page as having a strong tea rose fragrance! Oh I have just seen. She is out of stock. Back to the drawing board.

Diane, Those are wonderful photos. Noseometer, thanks for letting me know that Bishop's Castle would have been too big, it does help. Sylvia, that is a good rose, but only available your side of the pond.

My William Shakespeare 2000

My Boscobel, in it's first year.

William Morris in Cornwall. Sorry, not good photos.

Daisy

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago

Daisy, your garden is just stunning...truly inspiring photos! I'm taking notes of all of your gorgeous flower combinations as well.
    For your rose quest I had been thinking Desdemona because the fragrance is so strong and lovely, but I don't think the shape is too lax? It's small and likes the heat which is a bonus though! She still has buds and it's almost new years! (these pics are not from today). Still not sure if the growth habit would be right? I just transplanted 2 more to a full sun front of the bed position. For being a delicate looking rose, it takes the heat rather well.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

Olivia Rose Austin is compact, and recommended for small spaces. Even though the Austin website says 4 feet tall, you might be able to keep it pruned to three feet. I planted mine in spring 2016. In my cold zone it's been 2 feet tall, I think it will be under 3 feet tall at maturity...

The blooms are perfect rosettes like an Alba rose. The fragrance is moderate sweet rosewater. It has good repeat bloom.

With a petal from William Shakespeare 2000

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Krista_5NY
  • maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

What exquisite photos everyone! Thank you. However I just admit to a feeling of disappointment. When I first saw the thread title, I immediately opened it expecting to find a picture of Daisy and Tabitha artfully draped along the ground in front of one of her roses. Mary

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

I second Olivia

The color is so romantic. It is always in bloom in full sun. Nice fragrance and not overly tall.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Daisy, do they have Sister Elizabeth? It's a short, draping rose with a beautiful lilac pink color. It's been so long since I've had it that I don't remember whether it's fragrant, but I believe it is. It's one of my favorite Austins.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Thank you, Daisy. I felt like such a dunce. This thread is wonderful with the detailed descriptions that help all of us making plans for 2019. I have found some new ideas and scratched off some others. It's a good thing I don't live near you, Daisy, because I'd be a bigger pest than Japanese Beetles! I especially love the pic of your Wm. S 2K with the perfectly matching rose campion / lychnis. The gray foliage sets everything off. It gets overly aggressive here, so I'm always pulling some out. I see a little guara peeking in, too, another beautiful, lacy rose companion.

Maryc, you gave me the best laugh of the morning.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    5 years ago

Ooh, Sylvia, I love the look of Rockwall Sesquicentennial - just the sort of understated, elegant rose I like. But I would suggest, in answer to your Q as to why more people don't grow it, it may well simply be the name. Not conducive to massive sales, I would think, except to the good people of Rockwall Texas, whose 150th anniversary it celebrates.

Perhaps 'Rockwall 150' might have rolled off the average rose-buyer's tongue rather more easily, though still at odds with the exquisite delicacy of the rose, to my imagination, anyway...

Having said that, Stanwell Perpetual, with its similarly delicate blooms, has done pretty well over the years without the benefit of an overly pretty name.

Lola Moth - Jubilee Celebration kissing the ground? He's clearly doing humble obeisance to Her Majesty, in honour of her long reign. ;-)

Thank you RosyLady and Flowers for showing me some Austins I find I can like without getting that slightly constipated feeling as if I've gorged on too much candy and white bread. Grace, Mary M and Anne Boleyn particularly appealed.

Daisy - lovely pics from both your gardens, past and present. It's so nice to have you posting regularly here again. Whereabouts in Cornwall were you, just out of interest? My sister lived and taught there for many years, and we had several very fondly remembered family summer holidays there in my youth. I lived down that way, in Devon, too for a while - just next-door to Cornwall, for those unfamiliar with England's beautiful West Country.

I'm sorry I can't think of anything to solve your current rose selection dilemma, despite racking my brain for DAUK-available candidates, and coming up with quite a number of possibilities, only to realise in each case they missed out on one or other of your essential criteria....

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

In case it is helpful to anyone, here is a picture of my Little White Pet. In my zone 9 Northern Calif garden (cool wet winters, warm very dry summers) it is bullet proof, and blooms continuously. It never gets taller than about 2 1/2 ft, which is very unusual for almost any rose in our climate. Clean always. Not fragrant, however. It does not droop much, but it does always keep covered with leaves and blossoms, all the way to the ground. This one has been cut back & dug up in a hurry twice during outdoor plumbing leaks emergencies, thrown into a wheel barrow for several days, and then bounced back better than ever rapidly when replanted.

Jackie

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

Thank you for that visual, Jackie. I think she would make a great addition to my poly bed. Not every rose needs to be fragrant, I guess. Especially when others surrounding it are and it's healthy!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Jackie, could you direct me to the thread where you discuss the hardware you use to train climbing roses up walls?

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

I am afraid that I am not clever enough with computers to do that, but I can tell you that my DH uses a thing which is supposed to be for hitching horses (which is why it is strong enough to carry the weight of massive roses). I think it is made of stainless steel. It has a plate with holes for bolts or long screws to go through to attach it onto the house. From the plate dangles a very strong circle of metal, which is the part you tie the roses to. My camera broke, and I got a new one for Christmas - when I figure out how to use it, I will take a picture. Meanwhile, I found this pic on the internet - I don't know if it is exactly the same, but it is the idea:

Jackie

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jacqueline9CA
  • Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    5 years ago
    I just wanted to say your garden is beautiful and an inspiration! is that a strawberry tree you have in the background? What rose variety is the climber in the back? And do you mind sharing the shorter purple flowering plants you have towards the front of your picture?
    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank-you all again. My post keeps disappearing, so, I am going to try short ones.

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank-you Krista and Kristine. I do already have Olivia Austin.

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank-you Ingrid, but a lilac pink rose would not work with those colours.

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank-you Jacqueline. I do like Little White Pet. I have grown it before. But I was hoping for something a little more voluptuous there.

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Comtesse, my brother lives in Devon. In a little village near Tiverton.

I lived in a perfect tiny village near St Columb Major.

My daughter lives in Penzance.

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

I am so sorry that my replies seem terse, but I lost 4 long replies, yesterday and to-day.

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Maryc. Brilliant!!!! If it were not pouring with rain, I would ask DH to take a photo of Tabitha and I recumbent beneath a rose.

Or, there again, perhaps not.

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Hutchae84. Thank-you, but I am a little confused. Tell me which photo you mean.

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Tiffandrew, I think you may have hit the nail on the head with Desdemona. At first I thought oh! she is lovely but I didn't really want another white rose. But then I thought, if the buds are peachy pink, then the overall effect will be of soft colour. She has the perfume I must have and if she is not procumbent, then at least she is not too big for it to matter so much.

I think she could work!!!!

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry again all you lovely people for the short replies. I do not mean to seem so abrupt. Even the reply to Tiffandrew, I had to post part way through and then edit to finish!

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Flowers, I wish you did live nearby. It would be lovely to share with someone. Thank God for this forum.

Daisy

5 years ago

Oh, Daisy, don't worry information point. We've all had to deal with the silliness of Foose. In fact I can't edit what I write so the sounds ridiculous oh, but you get the idea! :-)

5 years ago

Daisy, I have 1 Desdamona in ground ( so new that no blooms yet ) and 3 ordered. I am pretty excited about that one. That pretty blush just gets me

Which ever one you choose it will be fabulous. You have such a good eye for design and color.

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago

That's great Daisy! I hope Desdemona works well for you. The scent really is lovely. She works so hard to keep blooming too! The buds definitely are peachy pink and there have been times where the blooms glow with those colors too! These aren't the greatest pictures, but they give you an idea on her color variability. Keep us posted on what you do end up putting there. I'm sure whatever you decide will be lovely!

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago

Just for fun too, you mentioned that you have strawberry hill on order. My 1 year old strawberry hill gave me a bloom yesterday that I clipped for a tiny bouquet with some marjoram. The scent of stawberrry hill is so intriguing, I can't stop smelling this tiny bloom!

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    5 years ago

Hi Daisy, the below picture is the one I was referring too. I don't know why I thought that was a strawberry tree last night when it looks to he an orange tree.

but I was curious what the rose you have on the wall is and the violet/purple flower you have towards the front of the picture?

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank-you for those extra photos Tiffandrew. Strawberry Hill looks good too. I am looking forward to growing it up a pomegranate tree with Spirit of Freedom. I find that the older I get, the more roses I need. There is a philosophical debate for you!

hutchae, the rose on the wall was bought as Felicia, but it is not that rose. I believe it is Cornelia. It blooms a lot in the spring and early summer and again in the autumn. It also has a few blooms during the summer. It does have a lovely perfume.

I will look to see if I have more photos of it.

The purple flower in front is one of the Verbena x hybrida. They come in a variety of colours and are very useful in pots and at the front of beds.

Daisy

Original Author
    5 years ago

Cornelia is mixed up with Abraham Darby on the wall of the derelict house next door.

Daisy

5 years ago

Daisy, roses like the last photo make my knees go weak. Is that Cornelia?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Such a gorgeous garden, Daisy! It's visual poetry, and so satisfying to see when my own garden is derelict. Thank goodness for the internet which allows us to "borrow" others' gardens in such a satisfying way.

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago

That Cornelia with Abraham Darby is a perfect combo! They really compliment each other. Beautiful...

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago

How about Young Lycidas? I've read it's extremely fragrant and great for hanging over a wall.

5 years ago

Good suggestion Vap, Young Lycidas is a beautiful drapey rose of glorious color

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank-you vaporac and Kristine, I do already have Young Lycidas.

Lovely photo Kristine.

Daisy