SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

"Played like a violin" ... Friendship with an addict

IdaClaire
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm posting this after reading through several previous threads in which a number of you were open and honest enough to speak of your experiences in dealing with someone you care for who is an addict. I'm feeling a bit blindsided at the moment, having had an "aha" moment when I finally pieced together a puzzle and realized that a close friend of mine has a serious addiction to prescription opioids. I never thought I'd be one of the many who knows someone struggling in this regard, but I would venture to guess that many - if not most - of us are touched in some way by this horrendous epidemic ... whether you currently know it or not.

I don't care to divulge too many of the personal details, and what I'm really hoping for here is an exchange of ideas as to how those who are sober handle an addict's manipulation, threats, and outright lies. My friend is part of my closest circle, and she only recently admitted that she has a substance abuse problem. She tends to minimize and divert, but I'm seeing quite clearly that so many of the things she has told me in the past haven't added up for a very REAL reason. I've felt a tug of doubt so many times in the past when she'd tell me things, but chose to believe her because I value her and wanted to think the best of her. Often the things were said to elicit empathy and an "oh, your poor dear" response. I understand that addicts typically try to play upon the sympathetic emotions of those closest to them as a means to their end, and it's called "priming." Now that I'm waking up to the reality of the situation (and indeed, possibly even our relationship, which I believe she has attempted to orchestrate in her favor), I'm feeling a rush of various emotions myself. Certainly I believe that my friend is not in control here; it's the addiction that has taken over. That said, the addiction is an insidious and evil thing, and I have absolutely no desire to engage with it any way. I certainly don't want to coddle it or enable it!

But I also feel I need to tread lightly. My friend has really gone off the deep end, and I do live in fear that she will either purposely take her own life (she's extremely depressed) or inadvertently do so by overdosing. Where a "tough love" approach has been enacted by others in her circle, she has manipulated with threats of suicide. Are they "just" threats? I have no idea. But now I'm leery of saying anything at all to her. What I'd really like most is to somehow find my way to a detached compassion unless/until she decides to get the help she so desperately needs. At first I felt terribly guilty about even thinking this, telling myself that she needs my friendship now that she's at such a low point in her life. But truthfully, the constant drama is eating away at my peace -- I mean, gobbling it up in great big chunks, and I am now of the opinion that I absolutely MUST set boundaries for the sake of me and my family. I'm just not really sure how to practically do so. I can't "fix" her problem, and I'm not even remotely equipped to know how to "treat" her problem. It's a helpless feeling to watch someone you care for self destruct.

Bless you if you've read all of this, and if you have something of your own experience to share with me, I would be grateful. I know this isn't happy holiday talk; nevertheless, reality doesn't take a holiday, darn it all.

Comments (54)