SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 12 - 3 - 17

User
6 years ago

Ellen Swallow Richards Quotes
American - Scientist December 3, 1842 - March 30, 1911

New England is the home of all that is good and noble with all her sternness and uncompromising opinions.
Ellen Swallow Richards

If you keep your feathers well oiled the water of criticism will run off as from a duck's back.
Ellen Swallow Richards

The only trouble here is they won't let us study enough. They are so afraid we shall break down and you know the reputation of the College is at stake, for the question is, can girls get a college degree without ruining their health?
Ellen Swallow Richards

We never can tell how our lives may work to the account of the general good, and we are not wise enough to know if we have fulfilled our mission or not.
Ellen Swallow Richards

You cannot make women contented with cooking and cleaning and you need not try.
Ellen Swallow Richards

Work is a sovereign remedy for all ills, and a man who loves to work will never be unhappy.
Ellen Swallow Richards

If it is a relief to take your clothes off at night, be sure that something is wrong. Clothes should not be a burden. They should be a comfort and a protection.
Ellen Swallow Richards

Subject the material world to the higher ends by understanding it in all its relations to daily life and action.
Ellen Swallow Richards

I prefer surveying for a week to spending a week in fashionable society even of the best class.
Ellen Swallow Richards

Anna Freud Quotes
Austrian - Psychologist December 3, 1895 - October 9, 1982

We are imprisoned in the realm of life, like a sailor on his tiny boat, on an infinite ocean.
Anna Freud

We are aware only of the empty space in the forest, which only yesterday was filled with trees.
Anna Freud

If some longing goes unmet, don't be astonished. We call that Life.
Anna Freud

Things are not as we would like them to be. There is only one way to deal with it, namely to try and be all right oneself.
Anna Freud

I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence but it comes from within. It is there all the time.
Anna Freud

Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training.
Anna Freud

Papa continually emphasizes how much remains unexplained. With the other psychoanalytic writers, everything is always so known and fixed.
Anna Freud

We live trapped, between the churned-up and examined past and a future that waits for our work.
Anna Freud

Sometimes the most beautiful thing is precisely the one that comes unexpectedly and unearned, hence something given truly as a present.
Anna Freud

It is only when parental feelings are ineffective or too ambivalent or when the mother's emotions are temporarily engaged elsewhere that children feel lost.
Anna Freud

My different personalities leave me in peace now.
Anna Freud

Why do we go around acting as though everything was friendship and reliability when basically everything everywhere is full of sudden hate and ugliness?
Anna Freud

How one can live without being able to judge oneself, criticize what one has accomplished, and still enjoy what one does, is unimaginable to me.
Anna Freud

I am no longer afraid to say anything.
Anna Freud

Everything becomes so problematic because of basic faults: from a discontent with myself.
Anna Freud

What I have always wanted for myself is much more primitive. It is probably nothing more than the affection of the people with whom I am in contact, and their good opinion of me.
Anna Freud

Who promised you that only for joy were you brought to this earth?
Anna Freud

Papa always makes it clear that he would like to know me as much more rational and lucid than the girls and women he gets to know during his analytic hours.
Anna Freud

If I have a stupid day, everything looks wrong to me.
Anna Freud

Create around one at least a small circle where matters are arranged as one wants them to be.
Anna Freud

Children usually do not blame themselves for getting lost.
Anna Freud

How can one know anything at all about people?
Anna Freud

Everyone here says in a surprised manner that I have grown... they are so stupid and do not notice that I am standing up straighter!
Anna Freud

I am glad that I do not have any children.
Anna Freud

A first visit to a madhouse is always a shock.
Anna Freud

Kate O'Brien Quotes
Irish - Novelist December 3, 1897 - August 13, 1974

If it bends, it's funny; if it breaks, it's not funny.
Kate O'Brien

I only use my sick days for hang-overs and soap opera weddings.
Kate O'Brien

It's filled with... baking soda. Because it really smells.
Kate O'Brien

Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them.
Kate O'Brien

Hmmm... I never get the answer I think I'm going to get.
Kate O'Brien

A laugh is a terrible weapon.
Kate O'Brien

If somebody on this team actually gets to first base, I'll stand there naked.
Kate O'Brien

My mom always said that if the Protestants catch a Catholic in their church, they feed them to the Jews.
Kate O'Brien

John Doar Quotes
American - Lawyer December 3, 1921 - November 11, 2014

I always felt that, through it all, there was a really strong, forward, positive, constructive accomplishment by the American people during that period, if you consider that during the period from 1954 to 1965, this country broke through the caste system.
John Doar

Countless black citizens in the South couldn't vote. They were second-class citizens from cradle to grave. The discrimination was terrible, brutal.
John Doar

You're not going to win anything with bottles and bricks.
John Doar

I'm not saying to you that every element of segregation and discrimination and second-class citizenship has changed. But in the political sense, the world has changed. People now who want to vote can vote.
John Doar

To me, success is seeing that justice is done.
John Doar

For a black student to work in southwest Mississippi for example - or in the Delta in 1960, 1961, 1962 - was high-risk work.
John Doar

Ozzy Osbourne Quotes
English - Musician Born: December 3, 1948

I couldn't be a royal. It's like living in a supersonic goldfish bowl.
Ozzy Osbourne

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
Ozzy Osbourne

Being sober on a bus is, like, totally different than being drunk on a bus.
Ozzy Osbourne

Rock music is not meant to be perfect.
Ozzy Osbourne

Whenever I have a bad day I just think of these people.
Ozzy Osbourne

I have a saying. 'Never judge a book by its cover'. I say that because I don't even know who Ozzy is. I wake up a new person every day.
Ozzy Osbourne

I got rabies shots for biting the head off a bat but that's OK - the bat had to get Ozzy shots.
Ozzy Osbourne

I have a genuine love affair with my audience. When I'm on stage they're not privileged to see me. It's a privilege for me to see them.
Ozzy Osbourne

All that stuff about heavy metal and hard rock, I don't subscribe to any of that. It's all just music. I mean, the heavy metal from the Seventies sounds nothing like the stuff from the Eighties, and that sounds nothing like the stuff from the Nineties. Who's to say what is and isn't a certain type of music?
Ozzy Osbourne

It's all part of my journey - I've done a lot of stupid things, but you learn by your mistakes.
Ozzy Osbourne

I'll only retire in the day I should be dead and they have me buried, and some idiot spell over my casket some stupid gospel stuff.
Ozzy Osbourne

I'm about caring, I'm about people, and I'm about entertaining people. I'm a family man. A husband. A father. I've been a lot of other things over the years, which we don't really want to talk about.
Ozzy Osbourne

To be a liar, you've got to have a great memory, and I don't have a memory.
Ozzy Osbourne

I cannot turn down this incredible honor twice.
Ozzy Osbourne

You gotta be really careful what you bite off. Don't bite off more than you can chew. It's a dangerous world.
Ozzy Osbourne

When you're young, you're stupid. You do silly things.
Ozzy Osbourne

Somebody said to me this morning, 'To what do you attribute your longevity?' I don't know. I mean, I couldn't have planned my life out better. By all accounts I should be dead! The abuse I put my body through: the drugs, the alcohol, the lifestyle I've lived the last 30 years!
Ozzy Osbourne

MTV made a huge impact. Heavy rotation took you from selling 1m albums to 20m albums, and that meant a lot of dough.
Ozzy Osbourne

They say military have the so-called 'secret intelligence' - this amount of intelligence must be very secret, since I've never seen any intelligent military person, nor I have seen any sense in the bloody stupid wars.
Ozzy Osbourne

What is this? It's music to get a brain seizure by.
Ozzy Osbourne

I used to fantasize that Paul McCartney would marry my sister.
Ozzy Osbourne

I am a raging alcoholic and a raging addict and I didn't want to see my kids do the same thing.
Ozzy Osbourne

I wish I didn't have to perform 'Iron Man' every night.
Ozzy Osbourne

I knew it was time to get off of reality TV when someone asked me if I sang as well as acted.
Ozzy Osbourne

L.A.'s not a good place to grow old.
Ozzy Osbourne

I can't do anything in moderation.
Ozzy Osbourne

I'm dyslexic, I have attention-deficit disorder, and I've got something like a hereditary tremor.
Ozzy Osbourne

I'm a very simple man. You've got to have, like, a computer nowadays to turn the TV on and off... and the nightmare continues.
Ozzy Osbourne

What is the world coming to?
Ozzy Osbourne

Francesca Lia Block Quotes
American - Author Born: December 3, 1962

Writing is literally transformative. When we read, we are changed. When we write, we are changed. It's neurological. To me, this is a kind of magic.
Francesca Lia Block

Writing is very cathartic for me. As a teacher, I hear many students say that writing can be painful and exhausting. It can be, but ultimately I believe that if you push through, the process is healing and exhilarating.
Francesca Lia Block

I think depression creates in me an urgent need to write, but I also believe that daily stress, and even the positive 'stress' of intense happiness, can compel me to express myself through the written word.
Francesca Lia Block

It's scary to become a woman in this world. We have to understand that some of the messages we get, messages that we are not enough, are there to keep our power in check. We can't buy into these messages.
Francesca Lia Block

I love Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton. I also love more cerebral poets like H.D. and Emily Dickinson. My parents subscribed to a monthly poetry periodical, and as a teenager I was introduced to Denise Levertov, who was an influence.
Francesca Lia Block

I am constantly thinking ahead to what I want to write about in the future, and when I'm done with one project, I give myself a little time and then start the next one.
Francesca Lia Block

Write with abandon and no constraints for first draft. Cut brutally and save in separate files on second draft. Add conflict; don't be afraid to make your characters suffer. Read what you love. Write what you love. Love.
Francesca Lia Block

Comment

Sponsored
More Discussions