SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venetta73

what to look for/avoid in a San Gabriel Granite Slab?

venetta73
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi,

So, for a variety of reasons, my fabricator (they also own their stone yard) is going to be replacing the San Gabriel Black granite countertop on my island. The biggest reasons were inexplicable -- to me or them -- stains and hazing that appeared 5 months post installation that neither they nor I could remove. The countertop was also installed with numerous pits (small ones, granted) that had to be filled post-installation. I know that this is normal for a stone with a lot of small mica inclusions, but was not thrilled about that either.

I am very happy that they are replacing the countertop, but I will have to go to the stone yard to choose another granite slab. What should I look for/avoid? The first time around, I didn't even know what I was looking at/doing, which might have contributed to the issues with my granite.

Being clueless, I was mostly making sure that the granite matches the existing San Gabriel, that I had on the perimeter of the kitchen, which had been there for 5 years now (it came with the house). We did some work: opened up the kitchen and added a painted island in an otherwise maple kitchen; we also added a white and black hex mosaic floor, so the granite on the island has to match the existing one, on the perimeter -- choosing a different granite is not an option with the rest of the kitchen. Plus, the San Gabriel that that we have had for 5 years, I love: never resealed it, no need for that; doesn't stain, has no pits or refilled areas; the mica inclusions have never come off.

So, please help educate me on how to choose a good slab.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (8)