SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Attempted Propagation of Sansevieria trifasciata in wet ziploc bags

mark4321_gw
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Sorry I had to shorten the title because of space. It should say: "Attempted Propagation of Sansevieria trifasciata one between paper towels in wet ziploc bags". I'm trying to apply a technique that has worked well for propagation of a number of plants which can propagated from leaves; in many cases extremely well. I've mostly used it for Begonias and Gesneriads.

The goal of the technique was to find something more productive and more robust than conventional propagation, yet simpler and cheaper than tissue culture. This can be extremely productive, and it costs a few cents a try.

I won't describe the technique in detail here. This is a post which describes it in extreme detail.

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/method-for-leaf-propagation-between-paper-in-ziploc-bags-dsvw-vd~5060360[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/method-for-leaf-propagation-between-paper-in-ziploc-bags-dsvw-vd~5060360)

But simply:

1) a leaf is (usually) chopped up into smaller pieces

2) the pieces are placed between two layers of paper towels or napkins

3) the paper towel + leaf pieces is placed in a ziploc bag, flat

4) The insides of the bag are sterilized with bleach

5) Bleach solution is drained; the insides are washed ~10 times with "sterile" water

6) The bag and its contents are incubated under lights until roots and/or plantlets appeare

7) The growing leaf fragments are transferred to soil, kept very humid at first. e

Plenty of examples and pictures are given in the link above. e

I've mostly had successes. Failures include some of the Sinningias which are more difficult from leaves, and bulbs that can be propagated from leaves. The latter include Haemanthus albiflos and Eucomis 'Oakhurst'. On the other hand, Sinningia speciosa (Florist's "Gloxinia") works incredibly well.e

Since I think the examples I tried in Asparagales failed, I'm somewhat skeptical that Sansevieria will work. I can only try, and it's easy enough. e

I'm actually going to guess that it might partly succeed---the pieces will apeear to just sit there, but will grow roots and plantlets after being removed. Again, just a guess...

I did try this with a succulent: Tacitus bellus (Graptopetalum bellum). I actually don't remember whether the leaves rooted in the bag or later. They survived, and ultimately gave plantlets.

I do fully expect the leaf pieces to survive for a long time in the ziploc bag. That will probably seem counterintuitive to some, and might have to do with the (semi)sterility of the contents. .

Anyway, here's the small leaf I started with:

I'll describe in the first comment what's special about this clone.

Chopped up into a lot of pieces! About 60. By comparison, I've chopped Begonias leaves into >100 pieces. In one case 325!.

About 10 put on half of a piece of paper towel

One of the bags, halfway through the washes:

Again I would emphasize that at the end of the washes, after most of the water is allowed to drain out, the environment inside will be very wet, not moist.

Comments (27)