SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalnolympia

origins of Asian hardy citrus types - diagrams

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I updated diagrams for the parentage relationship between the different cold-hardy Chinese/Japanese citrus varieties, based on several published genetic marker studies that were done in Japan (one was from UC Riverside).

These are the most comprehensive and accurate (taking into account uncertainties) diagrams I have made.

Hopefully this may be of interest to some of you.

This diagram isn't claiming these relationships are all necessarily accurate, but this is the closest we can come to knowledge, taking into account the current studies. Some of these genetic studies are only indicative and do not exactly prove a certain type of relationship with complete certainty, and there could always be other parentage that didn't show up in the marker analysis.

Click on the pictures to expand them to see a bigger size.

I will point out in these diagrams that Kishu is not a particularly hardy mandarin (less hardy than Satsuma), so if the offspring of Kishu has cold hardiness, I believe it fairly likely that the hardiness was inherited from the other parent.

I also know all of these cultivars are being grown in South Carolina, with the exception of Kunenbo, kikaimikan, and kabuchi (which are all only found in parts of Japan, and are not even that popular there anymore). The kunenbo in the UC Riverside collection is not the same cultivar of kunenbo in these diagrams, doesn't have exactly the same ancestry and is a lot more sour.

I have Satsuma, Kishu, Yuzu, Bloomsweet, Keraji, Ichang Lemon, and pomelo in my collection.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional