SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliciaplease

What kind of grout for Fireclay ceramic tile backsplash?

aliciaplease
5 years ago

I'm hoping to get some last minute advice! We are nearing the end of a kitchen remodel project and, not being professionals or even DIYers in the world of tile, I feel like I could use some guidance.

We are putting up 3"x6" Fireclay tile in Tuolumne Meadows with a 3/16" grout line for our new kitchen backsplash. We had Mapei Ultracolor with FA grout in white selected and purchased. It's been sitting in the kitchen over the past few days as the tile is being set up, and it was listed on the spec sheet we printed out for the tile crew.

All the tile has been placed. Next is the grout.

Today the tile crew say they recommend a sanded grout for this application. No one is recommending a particular type or brand of sanded grout, however, and we are also being told that we need to get the new grout and have it ready for the grouting to be done tomorrow.

I have a few concerns:

1) would a sanded grout scratch the surface of the tile? It does have a slight crackle to it

2) Is there a type/grade or brand of sanded grout that does not have such a rough final appearance and texture? I have always disliked the coarseness of sanded grout and its difficulty of cleaning in a kitchen setting. Perhaps I was always seeing poor grout jobs though?

3) From what I understand, grout should be acclimated for an appropriate period of time to the environment of the room it's being installed. Will going out and buying new grout tonight or tomorrow morning to be installed tomorrow afternoon be a horrible mistake?

4) Would it be a mistake to go ahead and just use the Mapei Ultracolor with FA as we had planned?

From what I understand, typically a 3/16" grout line would normally use sanded grout, but I thought that the Mapei Ultracolor with FA was often used with other irregular tiles that may be heavy and or scratched and therefore should work.

Any wisdom and /or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (4)