SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

A sweet story for this Holiday Season

neetsiepie
5 years ago

My cousin shared this story of her son-in-law, a police officer in Los Angeles. She's given permission to share this publicly, so I'm posting it here too.

A heartwarming story for the Season…..a very good, albeit long, read. If you care to share this with your friends & family…please do!

My daughter called this evening to share a story her husband told her after he left his beat for the day: While on patrol in his cruiser, my son-in-law,Anthony Fontanez, needed to make a quick restroom stop. His sub-station had an event so he decided instead to take a slight detour away from his normal route & run into the mall. It’s the holiday season, near the mall & traffic was intense. Anthony came upon a disabled vehicle in traffic & of course stopped to assist. The older man, his wife, 2 kids & a friend had been in the car when something broke & the wheel came off. Anthony advised the gentleman he would call a tow truck, while also letting the man know the cost could be anywhere from $75 - $150 depending on where he wanted the car towed. At that moment the man told Anthony that he & his family of five were homeless. He had been evicted recently; while his wife & two kids stayed inside the home of a friend, the man & the son “lived” in their car in front of the house. He explained to Anthony he tries to take care of his family on disability income of $1200 a month & this issue was not something he could afford.

At that moment, Anthony realized how much this family needed help, so Anthony decided HE would pay for the cost of the tow truck out of his own pocket, and would drive the man to the auto shop when the tow truck arrived.
Anthony told the gentleman he would give him a ride to the auto shop. The man looked at him and said…”That’s nice, because I drove you somewhere too”. At that exact moment, Officer Fontanez remembered where he had seen this man before. Just over a year ago, Anthony & Reina called UBER for their first ride with the company – from Irvine to Mission Viejo for a wedding. The UBER driver who picked them up was this very individual Anthony assisted today. He recalled how nice the driver was. His story was sad – he had been a pilot, but heart problems forced him to give up that career when the airlines decided he was a risk. So he became an UBER driver. For Anthony and Reina’s very first UBER experience, this man was kind, and wanted to know as much about them as they did of him. Since that day however, the prescription medications this individual needed for his health resulted in him being let go….when Uber decided he was a risk. While Officer Fontanez had already decided on paying for the tow truck out of his own pocket - before realizing who this man was - he took it a step further. While the wife, children and friend arranged for someone to pick them up, Anthony called his superior, Sgt. Ortega to explain the details of the stop he had just made to assist. He asked the sergeant if there was anything the police department could do to further assist the family. Sgt. Ortega came out to the scene & accompanied Anthony and the gentleman to the auto body shop. At the shop, Sgt. Ortega and Officer Fontanez explained to the auto shop owner the circumstances, and asked the owner if there was any way he could give the man a discount to help him out further. The shop owner told the men he was friends with several of the officers at the police department, and would certainly do what he could to give the man a very good price for the tire, etc.

As it turns out, not only did Officer Fontanez foot the bill for the tow, but Sgt. Ortega is taking care of paying the rest….both out of their own pockets. The man whose life was generously touched by two law enforcement personnel - one of whom had taken a detour from his normal route - was very touched & beyond grateful. So much so that he asked if he could give Officer Fontanez a hug.

I share this for a number of reasons. It is the holiday season; good hearts doing good deeds for good people during rough times is a gift to all. What was it today, that made this officer take a different route while on patrol, that caused him to happen upon a man in need….a man whose path had crossed with Anthony’s just a year ago, when Anthony & Reina needed HIM? Was it synchronicity, the universe in alignment, or sheer coincidence? I don’t believe in the latter. I know it was higher level intervention….God helping a struggling man in need while also helping two good & kind law enforcement personnel do something to make a real difference in a world where they are often met with disdain.

Reina shared this story as one she knew would warm my heart. Not just because of the generosity of her husband and his sergeant, but because this “victim” of a sad set of circumstances was a good man; one whose life had been dealt harsh blows yet one who treated officers with respect. He never expected anything more than to simply thank the officer for stopping to check on him. A man whose car failed him at the moment an officer took a detour and came upon him holding up traffic. Two men whose paths had intersected before, in nearly the opposite of circumstances.

I hope everyone can take a lesson; about kindness, compassion, need & acceptance. To understand that unfortunate things can happen to the best of people & can leave them vulnerable in this oft-cruel world. To offer a hand, a shoulder, a meal or a few dollars. To remember as well, that first responders are people too, with hearts & souls and families to care for. We all have the same needs in life. If everyone could just take a moment to look outside the requirements of their own lives & try to step inside & relate to the situations of others, what a wonderful world this could be!

Comments (7)